What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

jim_57

Staff member
Brown Snakes - Solid Brown jersey with some white trim.
Kookaburras - Solid Brown jersey with white & light blue trim.

20200415_120108.jpg
TKPkVM9

T-Boon

Coach
Ranking the historic/existing expansion team names (they aren't good):

Raiders
Knights
Mariners
Broncos
Cowboys
Crushers
Titans
Seagulls
Giants
Eagles
Warriors
Storm
Reds
Rams

I would say there is a history of choosing lame names based off NFL teams or some other vanilla criterion. I like Seagulls and maybe Knights. The rest suck. Titans, Broncos and Cowboys are the worse.

To be fair...Broncos were supposed to be the Brumbies, I believe. That's more Aussie.

And the Rams was a left over from the AFL's creation of the Crows, I believe.

Cowboys were going to be the Crocodiles early on but faced resistance from the basketball team.

ReddFelon

Juniors
How are you ranking Reds below Mariners, Broncos, Cowboys, Titans and Crushers? WA has giant red kangaroos. There are no Mariners in the Hunter Valley, no Broncos in Brisbane, no Cowboys in any part of Australia, no Titans anywhere except Olympus and wtf was a Crusher even supposed to be?

How are you ranking Reds below Mariners, Broncos, Cowboys, Titans and Crushers? WA has giant red kangaroos. There are no Mariners in the Hunter Valley, no Broncos in Brisbane, no Cowboys in any part of Australia, no Titans anywhere except Olympus and wtf was a Crusher even supposed to be?

Crushers were sugar cane crushers...and the trains that brought the cane in...

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 5.16.35 pm.png

South Queensland Falcons

Inspired by Mario...

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 5.28.13 pm.png

Brisbane Biggles

Their theme can be John Anderson's criminally under-rated Do You Want To Be A Hero?

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 5.22.31 pm.png

T-Boon

Coach

I just did a list, unranked. I'd like to see what others think.

I also liked the Reds.

TheFrog

Coach
There were no Panthers in Penrith in 1964 when the name was chosen either, but every other business carries the name now.

ReddFelon

Juniors
There were no Panthers in Penrith in 1964 when the name was chosen either, but every other business carries the name now.
You don't know about the blue mountains panther legend do you? It's been around for over a hundred years. Supposedly circuses released Panthers into the blue mountains, it's Australia's bigfoot.

greenBV4

Bench
You don't know about the blue mountains panther legend do you? It's been around for over a hundred years. Supposedly circuses released Panthers into the blue mountains, it's Australia's bigfoot.
Speaking of an "Australian Bigfoot", what about the Brisbane Bunyips? :sweat_smile:

jim_57

Staff member
Looks like a '67 Panthers strip.

Yeh true, but shouldn't be an issue a new team using Brown and White since Penrith have given it up.

I may be in the minority but the right shade of brown & white is a great combination.

One of QLDs biggest industries, the main ingredient to make Rum. At least the Crusher has some significance.

Problem is/was Sugar bush is more of a North Queensland thing. Bundaberg has some sure but that's borderline "South Queensland". In saying that Broncos aren't any more relevant to Brisbane than Sugar Cane.

T-Boon

Coach
The next Brisbane team should be an animal they haven't got much animal representation, as previously mentioned - I like Brisbane Bowerbirds.

Latest posts