What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

unforgiven

Bench
The NRL can do whatever it wants after the current deal.

Open it up to the $$$ billions all media companies around the world are, according to LU, apparently waiting to lash out and splurge on it.

f**king lol.
Why should the NRL provide any of it's financials or its cost cutting measures to ch9? What does it have to do with them?

Cactus

Juniors
don’t be so sure, he pressured Vlandys into getting rid of the ceo, it’s too early to see if Vlandys has a spine for this fight, he hasn’t shown anything yet other than sticking to the start date.

So what you're suggesting is the strategy is to simply place pressure via media articles and trust that PVL (Commissioners) will cave in and let 9 have the digital arm.

The only way I can see that happening is if PVL is INDEED a planted bad seed and as much as I can see his shortcomings I dont think he is there to deny the game like Gallop did.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Hugh Marks…smart…..really ?

Doing all of this in the public domain isn’t smart. What good does it do to have this in the media ?

If he has a longer term strategy, Marks isn’t doing it any favours by pissing off the NRL & PVL in the process. That may well come back to bite him.

As if the NRL is going to provide 9 with details of operational expenditure & proposed budget cuts….haha, so why bring that up in the papers ? It’s very obvious the audience he is playing to are the club bosses. So far, his only strategy seems to be a lame attempt to split opinions of the games HQ & clubs and pit them against each other. The ubiquitous “divide and conquer strategy”

Running through that logically its hard to see that being successful and hardly a clever covert strategy to snatch up the NRLs prime asset.

It seems more likely to provide a clear indicator to the NRL to head towards other options that exclude the 9 Entertainment Co altogether.

Could it be a delaying tactic.

Cactus

Juniors
The NRL should tell Nine to stop its bitching and open its books to the NRL plus provide an explanation why they cant broadcast sports the way Seven does. Maybe the NRL should offer to buy Nine.

We dont need all of Nine. My strategy would be to go after 9s Wide World of Sports digital arm

Cactus

Juniors
Well, no doubt you could advise him how to run NEC.

By the way. It seems you missed the whole point of my post which was posing the question as to why play it all out in the media ?

How is that going to help secure the NRLs digital arm as suggested by the 9 owned paper

Cactus

Juniors
Could it be a delaying tactic.

Its possible I suppose. But cant see to what end ?

Marks tried the delay tactics before and was forced to the negotiating table. He should know by now that any new delay only brings him closer to being in breach of contract.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We are all waiting for you to give us detailed info as to how money is spent at grass roots level for starters.

What is taking you so long?

You were also going to show that the AFL did not purchase Marvel Stadium nor did they use it as security for their 600m line of credit. Please tell Roy Masters his recent article is wrong. His research is nowhere near as accurate as yours.

No use quoting any media articles either. The LU brainstrust has declared any News Corp or NEC publications as propaganda.

Wasting your ample brain power here at LU PR.

told you before I don’t work for the nrl so have no idea the particulars of how they spend in individual areas. But then I’m not the one making claims the nrl is wasting money and needs to make cuts. You can’t say where you’d make them or how this money is being wasted, yet you want to cut it.
Nrl Invested significantly in its digital arm which is now returning significant profit margins. To say they haven’t invested as they haven’t bought a stadium is nonsense, even for you!
And like I’ve said a dozen times afl got marvel at a very favourable set of terms from the Vic Govt. I’m sure if the Nsw govt offered nrl bankwest at same terms it would jump at it. Eddie McGuire stated the loan was secured by the Vic Govt, given marvel is still mortgaged to the tune of over $100mill it sounds credible.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
So what you're suggesting is the strategy is to simply place pressure via media articles and trust that PVL (Commissioners) will cave in and let 9 have the digital arm.

The only way I can see that happening is if PVL is INDEED a planted bad seed and as much as I can see his shortcomings I dont think he is there to deny the game like Gallop did.

not the only strategy but certainly one of them clearly. Don’t forget the commission is controlled by the clubs and 2 states. I’d be surprised if Ch9 aren’t in the ear of the clubs telling them how the profit the nrl is making from it could be going directly to them.

Cactus

Juniors
not the only strategy but certainly one of them clearly. Don’t forget the commission is controlled by the clubs and 2 states. I’d be surprised if Ch9 aren’t in the ear of the clubs telling them how the profit the nrl is making from it could be going directly to them.

You are right. Leaks aplenty in and around the NRL.

But my point when it comes to strategy is that so far 9 has been transparent in its disrupting strategy (ie telegraphing punches) and PVL would have to be batting for the other side to allow this so called strategy from 9 win the day.

For whatever reason I cant bring myself to the point of believing PVL is a planted operative. Too much conspiracy for me.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Its possible I suppose. But cant see to what end ?

Marks tried the delay tactics before and was forced to the negotiating table. He should know by now that any new delay only brings him closer to being in breach of contract.

There are all sorts of legal conditions in the contract, nine will be playing to this. Putting faith in V'landys for a minute and say he won't sell the digital arm or outsource it we are stuck at the negotiation table again. There must be dates etc nine are playing to ....bottom line it's about saving money for nine.

Latest posts