What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

LeagueXIII

First Grade
not the only strategy but certainly one of them clearly. Don’t forget the commission is controlled by the clubs and 2 states. I’d be surprised if Ch9 aren’t in the ear of the clubs telling them how the profit the nrl is making from it could be going directly to them.

Isn't Gyngell on the Roosters board and once involved with nine?

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are right. Leaks aplenty in and around the NRL.

But my point when it comes to strategy is that so far 9 has been transparent in its disrupting strategy (ie telegraphing punches) and PVL would have to be batting for the other side to allow this so called strategy from 9 win the day.

For whatever reason I cant bring myself to the point of believing PVL is a planted operative. Too much conspiracy for me.

no of course he isnt, surely as bad as we are we wouldn’t have allowed that to happen!
However people are swayed by pressure, he got rid of Greenberg sooner because of Ch9 pressure. The media are continually running this line that nrl is mismanaged and wasting money and needs to make drastic cuts. And stupid joe public is believing them. Clubs are also probably believing it. So that then puts the pressure on him and the commission to respond if they want to keep their positions as we have created this farcical position of giving clubs the power to get rid of commissioners. Add on the risk of Ch9 not being able/willing to bid for 2023 rights and he is then under enormous pressure if to hold or fold. For me he is so far 1 & 1. He caved re Greenberg and slated his own company in the process which was very weak leadership, but held firm on start date and holding nine to the contract.
The biggie is the tv deal for next two years and beyond and if he sacrifices the digital arm to appease the partners.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Isn't Gyngell on the Roosters board and once involved with nine?

it’s incredibly incestuous. Here are the roosters board members with direct connection to Ch9
Mark Bourke - apprentice to show on nine
Mark Fennessy - former director of nine sports and numerous nine tv shows

Gygnell is heavily connected into Roosters but not on their board, he was on the board of the RLPA at one point.

Cactus

Juniors
no of course he isnt, surely as bad as we are we wouldn’t have allowed that to happen!
However people are swayed by pressure, he got rid of Greenberg sooner because of Ch9 pressure. The media are continually running this line that nrl is mismanaged and wasting money and needs to make drastic cuts. And stupid joe public is believing them. Clubs are also probably believing it. So that then puts the pressure on him and the commission to respond if they want to keep their positions as we have created this farcical position of giving clubs the power to get rid of commissioners. Add on the risk of Ch9 not being able/willing to bid for 2023 rights and he is then under enormous pressure if to hold or fold. For me he is so far 1 & 1. He caved re Greenberg and slated his own company in the process which was very weak leadership, but held firm on start date and holding nine to the contract.
The biggie is the tv deal for next two years and beyond and if he sacrifices the digital arm to appease the partners.

Yes. I get all of that.

I guess I am coming from a point of view that places little credence to the bolded bit. If that is true and its that easy to implement a strategy against the NRL then we are far$ed good and proper no matter what.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes. I get all of that.

I guess I am coming from a point of view that places little credence to the bolded bit. If that is true and its that easy to implement a strategy against the NRL then we are far$ed good and proper no matter what.

well we have history with the John Grant v clubs negotiations in Dec ‘15. The commission caved to the clubs 130% demand. When Greenberg wanted to give them 110%. That effectively cost them over $150mill that could have gone to the slush fund or investments everyone is now screaming for.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
it’s incredibly incestuous. Here are the roosters board members with direct connection to Ch9
Mark Bourke - apprentice to show on nine
Mark Fennessy - former director of nine sports and numerous nine tv shows

Gygnell is heavily connected into Roosters but not on their board, he was on the board of the RLPA at one point.

And surprisingly which club was most vocal against Greenberg?

GongPanther

Referee
10m of that 15m is for the websites of the clubs, and no ch9 doesn't have a point. They are trying to save themselves money by cost cutting at the NRL, that is not their place, they don't own the NRL. They have no right to ask the NRL for an explanation on where they will be cutting cost. Maybe NRL should ask the same of ch9? Ch9 is over stepping themselves here.
The trouble with Channel Nine is that they overstate their importance in the broadcasting world. If you look at a weeks programming, you basically have shit 24 hours a day with ONLY the news an exception albeit that is a no brainer.

With all the cheaply produced shows that they poison the public with, how is it that they are trying to save money?

Remember their moniker? "We are still the one!" Yea, they are still the one that is trying to shag the shit out of our game.

The NRL could do no better than to put the likes of Nine in their place and refuse a request that insults their intelligence. And eventually, the NRL will hopefully launch their own subscriber league service.

And FFS I hope someone grows some balls and poke them in the chest and tell them how things are going to be run. The Kerry Packer days are over.

Front-Rower

First Grade
A company without a digital strategy at the forefront of their business is screwed in 2020

True though what’s the difference if the execution of that strategy is done in-house or is outsourced to a third party?

Channel 9’s stance is that the NRL’s core competencies are primarily based around managing a rugby league competition, not those of a media company. And of course nine would view it that way, it’s the business they are in. Remember when a media company tried to run a rugby league competition?

Silent Knight

First Grade
Imagine thinking a team of 70 Web and App Devs and QAs, journos, content designers etc is bloated for a multi million dollar company. Dealing with android and iOS devs and testers alone is a team of 15-20.

A company without a digital strategy at the forefront of their business is screwed in 2020

Pah I’d throw the whole varmint lot out of their ivory tower so they can go get a job in the reel world. I’m pretty sure my mate Bob the tradie and Joe the janitor could do their jobs no wucking furries mate.