What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Paddles

Juniors
If I try to think like an absolutely hapless board of losers who can't make decisions, the only argument I can see for keeping McGregor is so that it's he who gets the 60+ point losses against Easts and Canberra against his names, rather than Dean Young, before ushering Deano in in a month,

This is the same thinking and approach that had them keep Brian Johnston powerless in the CEO seat to 'see through' the de Belin case before giving the new guy clear air. Hanging on here, rather than making the right call as leaders and starting a reset is going to turn out the same way - i.e. no positives, no control over what is happening, and demonstrating that there is no leadership that anyone can trust.

Completely untenable, and I doubt they'll make it through the month before needing to make the call.

piesplusreturns

Juniors
mkFDuNL.gif

Even the forum is teasing us.

The board has basically trapped itself with its strong statements of loyalty and faith.

There is no way on God’s earth it is going to reneg or backflip this year lest it be accused of being hypocritical.

It’s decided to fight on until the last man in a hopeless and untenable situation.

That last man, is you guys.

I love my history, this has got ww2 Berlin written all over it, except the enemy is you.

In terms of team performance, there is now zero incentive to improve because losing is now acceptable, if not easily explained away and condoned.

They even said the first four results were unacceptable and then by their conduct they have encouraged it.

Realistically, if you win four games this year, I see it as an over achievement under McDonut.

The club is being read the last rites. Your management have nothing but derision and contempt for you. They are a bunch of abusive out of touch cretins.

Last edited:

Reflector

Juniors
We can also compare Ferrari's successes & lack of successes through different eras of the last 30-40 years to St George / St George Illawarra.

The Tifosi demand just as much success out of Ferrari as what we the Red V Army demand out of STGI...

80's and early 90's they had some success, but suffered through some terrible management decisions and egotistical power struggles at board level. Suits out of touch with the realities of managing a professional sporting team, and the know-how to make it successful.

The Schumacher, Todt, Brawn, Byrne era of the late 90s and early Naughties, you could compare that to our Bennett-era. Basically, those guys took control of the team and put a wall up between themselves and ego-maniacs on the board. If anyone on the board had a problem with the way one person on the team staff was doing something, they'd have a problem with every one of them. Unprecedented success came. This success was not just down to Schumi being the best driver of all time.

Since that period of success, it's a return back to non-successful times, management power struggles and ego clashing. When a virtual energy drinks company (Red Bull) is beating you at a game you pretty much invented, you know there is something really toxic going on.

It's also got me thinking... if leaders like Alonso and Vettel (along with their experience + entourage of background supporters) struggle to bring success to Ferrari, then what hope really does even someone like Shane Flanagan (definitely not the worst option that will become available to us) have of bringing STGI the success that it commands?

Maybe we do need Bennett back again, or go in hard again for Craig Bellamy?

Interesting, I have also thought that St George and Ferrari are quite similar for the reasons you mentioned. Although I'd suggest that Ferrari from 2000- 2007 was more akin to St George in the 50's and 60's- winning everything or close to it.

On the subject of other F1/ NRL comparisons-

The Broncos are like Williams= great in the 90's, currently shit and a long way off returning to former glories.

Cronulla WERE Arrows= the best team never to win the ultimate prize

JT reminded me of Senna a bit= passionate and intense and sometimes controversial with their outbursts, but you couldn't help admire how much they cared about their profession.

Cameron Smith is Schumacher= records galore and the ultimate professional, but despised by many for their underhanded tactics

Hindy is Stirling Moss= one of the best to never win the biggest prize, but universally liked and respected

Joey Johns in the late 90's/ early 2000's and James Hunt/ Graham Hill in their heydays would've got on like a house on fire as well

matPORTS

Juniors
Interesting, I have also thought that St George and Ferrari are quite similar for the reasons you mentioned. Although I'd suggest that Ferrari from 2000- 2007 was more akin to St George in the 50's and 60's- winning everything or close to it.

On the subject of other F1/ NRL comparisons-

The Broncos are like Williams= great in the 90's, currently shit and a long way off returning to former glories.

Cronulla WERE Arrows= the best team never to win the ultimate prize

JT reminded me of Senna a bit= passionate and intense and sometimes controversial with their outbursts, but you couldn't help admire how much they cared about their profession.

Cameron Smith is Schumacher= records galore and the ultimate professional, but despised by many for their underhanded tactics

Hindy is Stirling Moss= one of the best to never win the biggest prize, but universally liked and respected

Joey Johns in the late 90's/ early 2000's and James Hunt/ Graham Hill in their heydays would've got on like a house on fire as well

Love it ! These comparisons are pretty spot on.

Also, I agree with your earlier reply on Gunther Steiner potentially being a good coaching figure for us. I'd have Helmut Marko in Ian Millwards position as well. Red Bull definitely have the best junior program - and they're not afraid to kick them back down a rung either if they don't perform...

...this is what the common Rugby League expert, neutral fan or the STGI board doesn't seem to get either. Results matter ! Loyalty is not a word in the guidebook of most other professional sports, especially F1 (look at Kvyat & Gasly with Red Bull absolutely ruthless). If you don't get the results, you're gone ! We don't care about how good you were when you were younger. The fact that you were a veteran club player doesn't give you a reprieve from poor results as coach !

Bittangabee

Juniors
Yes, mcgregor should have been sacked many years ago and our board of directors are incompetent.

But, don’t we as supporters have any responsibility in the demise of this once great club?

Gareth67

First Grade
From all reports the BOD probably weren't expecting such diabolical performances and results, The rugby League main media have reported that he will gone in 4 weeks if results continue as is, It could be possible they're buying time and coming up with plan B, namely working out a new coach, if anything these muppets are praying for a huge turnaround.

C66B64CE-3855-4FF1-85A2-73FA75CBC0D7.jpeg

“ You mean to say that those mongrels were telling fibs to me ? There’s going to be hell to pay for that , I can guarantee it ! “

Como Connection

First Grade
If I try to think like an absolutely hapless board of losers who can't make decisions, the only argument I can see for keeping McGregor is so that it's he who gets the 60+ point losses against Easts and Canberra against his names, rather than Dean Young, before ushering Deano in in a month,

This is the same thinking and approach that had them keep Brian Johnston powerless in the CEO seat to 'see through' the de Belin case before giving the new guy clear air. Hanging on here, rather than making the right call as leaders and starting a reset is going to turn out the same way - i.e. no positives, no control over what is happening, and demonstrating that there is no leadership that anyone can trust.

Completely untenable, and I doubt they'll make it through the month before needing to make the call.
Deano or anyone else would be crazy to take over now, on a hiding to nothing.
Smart move Albert and I having nothing against Deano, I lay the complete blame with the coach.
CC

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
Flanno is not signed past this year and Matt Head was almost out the door at the beginning of the season. I think 1 of those, or maybe even both wont be here in 2021, but I feel it could be Head who goes

You would be surprised how much Head is on. As in, shocked as to how low it is. I can't say how I know, but it is less than the average wage is, and not close to a 6 figure salary. Certainly surprised me.

The other point is that realistically, his continued deployment is going to cost the club more than paying him out.

Lost merch, sponsers, members, media interest, good players wanting out and no one coming. Angst and bad experience. The loss of hope.

Someone else gets it. It's not all about the now. It's also about the future. How many people won't re-up next year their membership? How many other players like Frizzell will want out? Who will want to come to the club, especially after seeing the clubs best player leave?

The club legit has the potential to be the next Gold Coast, in having to pay massive overs to get average players to the club because there is literally nothing to attract them to the club.