What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs the Sharks

Pomoz

Bench
No it was a team effort under Gus' leadership.

See attached. Gus got Cameron in due to the good work he did at Parra with young players.

It was Matt Cameron that was the idea behind the academy. So why would the new boss allow the pathways he setup fall over?
That is a very poor, political answer. You can't blame Gus for all the failures and then say it is a "team effort" for the good things that happened when he was there.

Gus made some terrible decisions and there is no trying to blame others. Corey Payne, his role in bringing Warren Wilson to the club are two examples and Im sure there are plenty more. I used to think bringing Hook in as coach was a bad decision but after last years debacle, I think Hook was a useful coach to have for a limited period and the results justify the decision. I know many people don't agree about Hook, but he never delivered the sh*t on a stick Ivan delivered as coach last year.

betcats

Referee
That is a very poor, political answer. You can't blame Gus for all the failures and then say it is a "team effort" for the good things that happened when he was there.

Gus made some terrible decisions and there is no trying to blame others. Corey Payne, his role in bringing Warren Wilson to the club are two examples and Im sure there are plenty more. I used to think bringing Hook in as coach was a bad decision but after last years debacle, I think Hook was a useful coach to have for a limited period and the results justify the decision. I know many people don't agree about Hook, but he never delivered the sh*t on a stick Ivan delivered as coach last year.

Hook also never delivered a genuine top four team like Ivan has this year.

betcats

Referee
Mate we were legit in the same exact position 2 years ago after we'd dismantled the then top of the table Dragons.

Lets not blow our load too early.

Dragons were pretenders that year same as us, they finished 7th btw. Ivan has delivered a much better team this year with what many would consider a worse squad. Plenty of bottom four predictions for 2020 coming in this forum before the season.

martielang

Bench
Dragons were pretenders that year same as us, they finished 7th btw. Ivan has delivered a much better team this year with what many would consider a worse squad. Plenty of bottom four predictions for 2020 coming in this forum before the season.

The predictions were because of how the team performance last year... under Ivan. Literally a year before that Hook was apparently underachieving with a very similar squad by being circa top 4.

Double standards? Nah of course not.

betcats

Referee
The predictions were because of how the team performance last year... under Ivan. Literally a year before that Hook was apparently underachieving with a very similar squad by being circa top 4.

Double standards? Nah of course not.

We were fifth when he got sacked having conceded 50 points in recent weeks It was pretty obvious last year there were off field issues causing dramas in the squad, like blindingly obvious.

We are playing better footy now than we ever did under Hook IMO. We still have plenty left to prove but I think there is a lot more fight in this team, without comparing the stats we seem to better defensively and more disciplined.

franklin2323

Immortal

Gus was the one that was fighting with the head coach.

Gus was the one that fired Ivan and wanted another coach...

There is no way Gus would of worked well with Ivan.. that is why Gus had to go

franklin2323

Immortal

Working well because everyone on the same page now. Would we be if Gus was here? I have my doubts

betcats

Referee
Martin is going to be star. where does Burton play?

Martin is getting settled on the edge and is part of our 17. Why would you not re-sign him over a rookie that is yet to find his position

I still think Burton will end up the halves or maybe fullback. Just because Jerome is preferred now doesnt mean it will stay that way. Cleary actually said something along those line prior to round 1 when asked by a reported about Luai/Burton.

The talk about Burton bulking up and playing in the forwards was very speculative, it certainly could happen but I think his talent and composure will see him end up in the halves, elsewhere if not at Penrith.

Martin is going to be star. where does Burton play?

Martin is getting settled on the edge and is part of our 17. Why would you not re-sign him over a rookie that is yet to find his position

He is? I haven’t seen anything that suggests he’ll be a star. Pretty good prospect, but it’s the backrow. Those type of players are very common. We’d be able to replace most of Martin’s output quite easily. Where as high quality spine prospects are rare.

I can’t believe it’s even a discussion. Spine players are what make the difference between good and great teams.

Even if I thought Martin was going to be a star, I’d still take Burton. Because I think Burton is going to be a star. How often do you see hand skills like that on someone who is 6’3? Hardly ever. And a star in the spine trumps a star backrower any day.

Last edited:

roofromoz

First Grade
Someone has strong mail in one of the Panthers FB groups that Charlie Staines will debut tomorrow.

Latest posts