What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

Mjab

Juniors
To tell you the truth, I did not see much difference in the game last night against the Broncos and what was happening under Mary.

Team selection was poor, game plan seemed to be the same old same old and the bench management was the same as it was under Mary. We had four forwards on the bench for a reason and a couple of our forwards definitely could have used rest to freshen up for another stint on the field.

The Broncos scored some easy tries that should never have been scored mainly due to poor defensive reads and players being out of position in defense.
Agree
More I think players trying harder for the new coach rather than Young suddenly has great new insights. Bench management a joke , worse than peanut
Norman did play better than average for him as well
It was through the individual efforts of a few players who had a good game eg host, Kerr , Rava that we got over the line
Also against Broncos , 2nd last with a lot injured

Good to get a win
Exciting game to watch in a sense because it was close

Surely EA needs to be dropped after last night

Williame or a youngster please so we can at least assess what we have or need , not EA

Clearly Merrin on the outer? Or what do we read into that

Coffs dragon

Bench
Geez that Dragons shortlist of coaching candidates is somewhat underwhelming, especially if they are considering David Furner whom has been sacked from 2 clubs as Head Coach.
Are they using the theory of aim low, hence no disappointment when the Dean Young & Flanno combination is announced from their worldwide search.

I still hope that Craig Fitzgibbon can be convinced to take on the challenge.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Dragons target bellyache.

it’s not my dogs Cousins neighbor Who told me. It is fact.

Smoke and mirrors by the club it is gong to cost them 2 mill a year over 3 years and that inc paying Storm for a release.

They are prepared to break the bank to get him and the board thinking We pay what it takes. The issue is whether he wants to coach another 3 years and getting him away from the storm knowing they are in a great position moving forward.

if they don’t get Bellamy there other option is Fitzgibbon and then Flanno as an assistant to DY for 1 year then coach in 22.

They will not appoint from within knowing full well the backlash of what will happen if it fails not only by the fans but by the media.

I think the board have realized they were taken for a ride the last 7 years and the part where Mcmoron had other offers was BS and do not want egg on there faces.

If you wondering where will they get the money seeing through the story we couldn’t pay Moron out well both boards know they fkd up and know we best open those purse strings and make up for all the bad. St George has almost 60 mill in the bank in cash. Assets of something in the vicinity of 200 mill and debt free.
As for the Gordon’s 800 mill.

Crush

Coach
Dean Young’s job to lose.

Luckily for him the next 6 weeks of the draw is not too bad.

Give him a 3 year deal if he wins half the remaining matches.

Enjoy the ride.

lol.
Dragon Slayer (lol), your obsession with our team is a worry. Hanging out in the Dragons forum having pot shots.
What happened?
Did you get bullied as a kid?

Mjab

Juniors

Smoke and mirrors by the club it is gong to cost them 2 mill a year over 3 years and that inc paying Storm for a release.

They are prepared to break the bank to get him and the board thinking We pay what it takes. The issue is whether he wants to coach another 3 years and getting him away from the storm knowing they are in a great position moving forward.

if they don’t get Bellamy there other option is Fitzgibbon and then Flanno as an assistant to DY for 1 year then coach in 22.

They will not appoint from within knowing full well the backlash of what will happen if it fails not only by the fans but by the media.

I think the board have realized they were taken for a ride the last 7 years and the part where Mcmoron had other offers was BS and do not want egg on there faces.

If you wondering where will they get the money seeing through the story we couldn’t pay Moron out well both boards know they fkd up and know we best open those purse strings and make up for all the bad. St George has almost 60 mill in the bank in cash. Assets of something in the vicinity of 200 mill and debt free.

I would love Bellamy but Cant see it happening
Why would he want to come to such a rabble and essentially start from scratch at this end of his career
We could have been close a few years ago nailing him and I think threw a lot dollars and he wasn’t interested then
but he says he has had enough often enough and not looking for a drawn out coaching career
Wouldn’t be surprised if he does 1-2 yrs more at storm and mentors Cam thru take over
Legacy intact

Then u might get him as a coaching director or something, still maybe a good thing

Where are his family mainly based? That’s often a factor

Would love to have him though , turns average into excellent

I just can’t believe our inept BOD allowed this to drag on for 7 years as you say

The BOD need a big broom thru

SAP58

Juniors

If correct & I have no reason to not believe you good on the Board for going for the best. Can’t see it happening but Bellamy for a couple of years with Young as assistant would be great.
I watched DY post match interview again & was very impressed with his honesty & evaluation of our performance & where we are in comparison to the top sides. He strikes me as a head coach he would demand discipline & high performance. However If he keeps Aitken in the side this week & bench management don’t improve that will show me he isn’t there yet & needs more time under an experienced coach like Bellamy for a couple of years. I think Flanagan would have definitely left if the previous head coach had not left but may stay on if asked to assist Young if we cannot attract Bellamy. Bennett is not the answer IMO

Gareth67

First Grade

Well that does surprise me , however the man was tossing up on leaving the Storm to join the Dragons years ago , so perhaps if he does he would be after a club that he could pull from the bottom of the ladder .

It’s just a case of whether he wishes to retire or he would like a change of scenery - plus whether or not the Dragon hierarchy have the smarts to get him over the line .

possm

Coach

I heard something similar and posted it under another thred. What I heard was that Smith will retire to reduce load on the Storm's salary cap and instead take on an assitants role a the Storm or if Bellemy moves on, be appointed to the head coach position.

I think there is an upper limit on what clubs can pay their coaching staff these days. If someone on here knows more about this it may be of interest to members on here.

thebigredv

First Grade

ChocOConnor

Juniors
I never said it is going to happen I’m merely telling you what I was told by someone.

It will come out but it was said last week the coach they want is not available until 22. But I can assure you contact has been made to Bellamy direct of interest in coming over.

to_ddeath

Coach
I never said it is going to happen I’m merely telling you what I was told by someone.

It will come out but it was said last week the coach they want is not available until 22. But I can assure you contact has been made to Bellamy direct of interest in coming over.

Sauce?
Tomato, Tartare??

St Georgio

Juniors
Furner 44% win/loss as an Option, these guys must be on Crystal Meth.
The Starting Point is 52% win/loss Like Paul Green Who has taken the Cowboys to two GF, making 1 GF without JT and from 9th Position on the ladder.
Not Suggesting PG should be an Absolute target, Shaun Wane is a true Realistic number 1 option for me, DY on a 1 year deal and Flanno to take in 22 is my 2nd Option with DY on a healthy assistant coaching package, like Fitzgibbon at the Rorters.
I think the Young/Flanno and then the Flanno/Young
Combo could place the Dragons in a good position for years to come, but the next 5 weeks will be a good indication of this.

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
Furner 44% win/loss as an Option, these guys must be on Crystal Meth.
The Starting Point is 52% win/loss Like Paul Green Who has taken the Cowboys to two GF, making 1 GF without JT and from 9th Position on the ladder.
Not Suggesting PG should be an Absolute target, Shaun Wane is a true Realistic number 1 option for me, DY on a 1 year deal and Flanno to take in 22 is my 2nd Option with DY on a healthy assistant coaching package, like Fitzgibbon at the Rorters.
I think the Young/Flanno and then the Flanno/Young
Combo could place the Dragons in a good position for years to come, but the next 5 weeks will be a good indication of this.
If it could be its Wane for me .... , then Flanno if possible .....