What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Gronk

Staff member
And merkin I’ve never said BA is intimidated by hiring flanno or anyone. All I’ve said is, IMO we can do better than
Someone like kidwell.

KIdwell seems to be the fall guy this week. If Kidwell is the D coach and Murphy is the A coach, why is Kidwell copping it ? Our D has been exemplary this year.

As for elkin, if we’re happy to sign him then say flanno doesn’t suit our culture, it makes little sense. Especially when we cheated too.
Flanno was also dabbling in cap shenanigans whilst suspended.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/s...d/news-story/f4832ec4df10753ef1c51493bb025da8

Noise

Coach
I'd be interested to know why Flanagan wouldn't suit our culture. From all reports (Cronulla players and from a mate who played for him back in his Parra lower grade days) he is a tough merkin that players want to play for. And he is a proven winner.

Last edited:

IFR33K

Coach
KIdwell seems to be the fall guy this week. If Kidwell is the D coach and Murphy is the A coach, why is Kidwell copping it ? Our D has been exemplary this year.

70 plus points against in two semis from isn’t acceptable. Unless you’re a gronk....

But it could of been our attacking coach I mentioned. It makes no difference.

Last edited:

Joely01

Bench
Our regular season was good. Our finals was not. We just had 74 points put on us in 2 games. Getting bundled out in week 2 of the finals year on year is not what we should be aspiring to. And we have had improvements to the roster.

Last year we smashed the Broncos and then got owned by the storm, weren’t good enough.
We bring in some players to improve us and make us good enough, if we don’t lose the players mid game we did week one, I firmly believe we beat the storm week 1.
We then gave it a mighty shake with who we had out and the news the players had to deal with the morning of.
I think this years finals series is a pass mark, considering we didn’t roll over and get pumped both games, we were actually in it till the end.
Going off the odds or what all the “experts” were saying we were suppose to get beat by 40 by both teams

Joely01

Bench
Yes, but whether we buy some or upgrade, we still have to pay those 10 players a minimum amount, so we have to pay 4 of them I believe $85k each (I suspect some of the ones we have already signed are taking up some of these slots though) and the other 6 at least $105k each, so that is a minimum of $970k, but likely more, probably $1 million (assuming a couple of $85k slots are already taken). The 11 we let go probably took up about $1.5 million though, so there is the ability to probably get a couple of $300k-$325k players.

If you can get access to Jenko's salary ASAP this will also help, but not sure that will happen.

I think what we can do with MJs salary/future is the big deciding factor on how many “quality” players we will get in the off season

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yeah thanks for schooling me. Just for future reference in your opinion, what culture would they be talking about?
Why are you so certain that they are referring to ASADA? What made you jump to that conclusion?

Culture could refer to his approach and philosophy around the game, his views on how to win football matches, his demeanour with players, his ability to take directions from the club etc etc.

Sometimes, high quality candidates aren’t necessarily a good fit.

Anyway, all we have at the moment is a passing comment from one of MJC’s sources. I think it is pre-emptive for anyone to be certain about what it actually refers to.

I’d also be happy if the info was wrong and we ended up signing Flanno (still a possibility).

Noise

Coach
Last year we smashed the Broncos and then got owned by the storm, weren’t good enough.
We bring in some players to improve us and make us good enough, if we don’t lose the players mid game we did week one, I firmly believe we beat the storm week 1.
We then gave it a mighty shake with who we had out and the news the players had to deal with the morning of.
I think this years finals series is a pass mark, considering we didn’t roll over and get pumped both games, we were actually in it till the end.
Going off the odds or what all the “experts” were saying we were suppose to get beat by 40 by both teams
A pass mark? We will have to disagree. I doubt anyone in the organisation thinks our capitulation is worthy of a pass. Any time you get 74 points put on you in 2 weeks, 30 points in a half, is very poor.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'd say that there would be top 17 players at every club only on about $200k. It's inevitable given the handful of $700k+ stars every club would have. Therefore a player on $300k is at least a solid first grader. Certainly an upgrade on the typical merkin on $100k or so.

I'd be hopeful of getting some really good players for $300k

Last edited:

Joely01

Bench
A pass mark? We will have to disagree. I doubt anyone in the organisation thinks our capitulation is worthy of a pass. Any time you get 74 points put on you in 2 weeks, 30 points in a half, is very poor.

Again there is clear reasons why this happened...
I honestly just don’t understand if some of you guys are so clearly trying to drive some agenda you are clearly looking past the facts from the last two weeks...
Facts that any of the top 8 team wouldn’t overcome and be out in straight sets, similar to us and the Roosters!

When we were fit against the storm we were winning and had storm on the back foot, we lose SIVO and they start targeting our edges that were weakened!
Same on the weekend with Our weakened backline getting exploited badly!

Noise

Coach
Again there is clear reasons why this happened...
I honestly just don’t understand if some of you guys are so clearly trying to drive some agenda you are clearly looking past the facts from the last two weeks...
Facts that any of the top 8 team wouldn’t overcome and be out in straight sets, similar to us and the Roosters!

When we were fit against the storm we were winning and had storm on the back foot, we lose SIVO and they start targeting our edges that were weakened!
Same on the weekend with Our weakened backline getting exploited badly!
Our defence has been shithouse for the back 3rd of the season, not just in the semis. It was just at its worst in the semis.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
By 'window' I don't think he was alluding to any sports betting agency odds.
Then go with your own odds. Do you really think we should be expected to beat all these better resourced clubs? I think the best we can hope for (at least with our current roster) is to be a reasonable chance against them. But even favorites lose sometimes. Two finals matches in a year is a very small sample. What if we were a 50% chance of beating Souths? That's still a coin toss. Do we really need a scapegoat if we lose against an evenly matched opponent?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Our defence was pretty poor in the finals though. But while some blame coaching, I personally think it was due to injuries disrupting our edges.

IFR33K

Coach

Exactly. I don’t even think SSBA would consider it a pass.

on a side note, did we ever get to witness the super secret moves BA was meant to unleash?

Latest posts