What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kyle Flanagan

Zadar

Juniors
Why sign him in the first place and what about his mental well being, I mean the Roosters carry on about protecting their players, also blaming one player for their losses is a pretty poor effort, Flanagan doesn’t deserve this.

storm cut Croft, roosters cut Flanno, other clubs would persist and be no better off in 5 years time.

ie: Milford, brooks

Valheru

Coach
Why sign him in the first place and what about his mental well being, I mean the Roosters carry on about protecting their players, also blaming one player for their losses is a pretty poor effort, Flanagan doesn’t deserve this.

lol please

He signed a 2 year contract and the roosters have said they won't extend it as is their right.

They aren't solely blaming him, they are merely saying they believe they have better options at HB.

The same thing has happened to Faamasulli which I haven't seen anyone whinge about

Put him and Benji together and a club has a ready-made package deal. Benji still has much to offer and would take Kyle under his wing and teach him everything he needs to know.

Canterbury is the obvious choice. But I can see a side like Cronulla maybe getting flanagan back... probably not the full package though.

Like many, I was a bit stunned the roosters are letting him go.

moffla

Bench
In two minds about this. I think Roosters are taking a risk by offloading a very good, young halfback who has a high ceiling in the game. Yes, he isn't Cronk, but he's got Cronks' endorsement which should speak volumes.
But as has been mentioned, their first objective is to win and if they feel that means not having KF in their side, then it's best for both parties to part ways.

jargan83

Coach
Professional sport is cut throat.

Flannagan is contracted to the Roosters for 2021 for next year so it's not like he's going to be out on his arse and I reckon he will definitely get signed elsewhere.

horrie hastings

First Grade

I remember seeing a sharks game last year and Flanagan was playing, he missed a tackle and the opposition scored and i thought to myself why are signing this unproved youngster for. Since he came to the Roosters i have liked Flanagan, seems like a good kid and seemed to fitting into the side fairly well. I just hope if he does stay in 2021 as he is under contract he will be given a fair go and hopefully prove a few people wrong and makes the half back spot his own and have a chance to have his contract extended if his form warrants it. He is one of the best goal kickers in the comp also, something the Roosters seriously lack if Flanagan is not there.

Generalzod

Immortal
I remember seeing a sharks game last year and Flanagan was playing, he missed a tackle and the opposition scored and i thought to myself why are signing this unproved youngster for. Since he came to the Roosters i have liked Flanagan, seems like a good kid and seemed to fitting into the side fairly well. I just hope if he does stay in 2021 as he is under contract he will be given a fair go and hopefully prove a few people wrong and makes the half back spot his own and have a chance to have his contract extended if his form warrants it. He is one of the best goal kickers in the comp also, something the Roosters seriously lack if Flanagan is not there.
He had a big shoes to fill at the Rooster he didn’t do that badly I’ll like him back at the Sharks..

I think you will find Sam Walker is also a regular goal kicker.

Steel Saints

Juniors
The curse of replacing Cooper Cronk. First it was Croft at Melbourne and now Flanagan at the chooks. The Storm gave Ctoft a couple of years to see if he was up to it. And quite rightly the Storm moved him on.

As for the Roosters with Flanagan, i do feel as though its premature to cut a player after one year. The Roosters don't have to wait four of five years to see if Flanagan comes good. They could've just simply honoured his contract until the end of next year.

Flanagan wasn't that bad at all. He did some good things, but he is still a young player developing his craft. The Roosters may well end up with the right decision and end up winning another comp in the next few years with their new halfback.

However, getting rid of a young halfback after just one year is way premature.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not surprised, when you are at the top you don't want project players that will be good in 3 or 4 years. Good lesson for young players that the grass isn't always greener!

Valheru

Coach
The curse of replacing Cooper Cronk. First it was Croft at Melbourne and now Flanagan at the chooks. The Storm gave Ctoft a couple of years to see if he was up to it. And quite rightly the Storm moved him on.

As for the Roosters with Flanagan, i do feel as though its premature to cut a player after one year. The Roosters don't have to wait four of five years to see if Flanagan comes good. They could've just simply honoured his contract until the end of next year.

Flanagan wasn't that bad at all. He did some good things, but he is still a young player developing his craft. The Roosters may well end up with the right decision and end up winning another comp in the next few years with their new halfback.

However, getting rid of a young halfback after just one year is way premature.

They are honouring his contract though.

They have just told him that we won't be re-signed after 2021 season and if he finds someone willing to take him then they are happy to release him early.

This type of thing happens every year.

They are honouring his contract though.

They have just told him that we won't be re-signed after 2021 season and if he finds someone willing to take him then they are happy to release him early.

This type of thing happens every year.

Indeed. The source that Flanagan will be punted by the Roosters before 2021 even starts is James Hooper. Do people consider him the most credible of sources on all things?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Indeed. The source that Flanagan will be punted by the Roosters before 2021 even starts is James Hooper. Do people consider him the most credible of sources on all things?
Well that depends.

Does the story in some way attack the Roosters?

If yes, then yes; it's highly credible.

Everyone knows that journalists like Hooper and "the Mole" make up stories about player recruitment all the time.

Unless that player is linked to the Roosters. In which case it's legit. That's why Pangai & David Fifita are Roosters players now - because all those big name signings that everyone frothed over were totally legit.

reanimate

Bench
He got the Bateman story right, even though Bateman kept calling him full of it. Not that Hooper’s always right, but cutting your 22 year old halfback who had a super solid year because he didn’t immediately turn into Cooper Cronk and deliver the club’s third premiership in a row does seem like a very Roosters thing to do.