What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kyle Flanagan

Wizardman

First Grade
When a halfback doesn't touch the ball in the last 20 minutes of a semi final while the concussed fellow half gets all their touches, I'd said it at the end of the game that his Roosters career is done as his team obviously has no confidence in him. Harsh but true.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...KW0A61wHSj_5h9_yCiNYGjvO0MVv2UA1SSt2CclGUZMHc

EXCLUSIVE: Gone to the Dogs? Flanagan could pay the price for Roosters’ failure

The fallout from the Roosters’ failure to secure a historic premiership three-peat has begun – with Canterbury emerging as the possible home for under-fire halfback Kyle Flanagan next season.
Fox Sports has learned incoming Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett is keen to secure Flanagan’s services as he prepares to lift the Belmore club away from the bottom of the NRL ladder.

Barrett is in the process of overhauling the Canterbury-Bankstown roster and views the sharpshooting goal-kicker Flanagan as an emerging playmaker with immense upside.

are the roosters kidding ?
he has played all of 30 games at NRL level & they expect he was going to be cooper cronk ?

Its called the journey , & Barrett knows with patience & the right development he will be a very handy first grader in the years to come.

he has played all of 30 games at NRL level & they expect he was going to be cooper cronk ?

Its called the journey , & Barrett knows with patience & the right development he will be a very handy first grader in the years to come.

I remember Hooper (make of it what you will) said on 360 a month or so ago that the senior players were questioning “if he was a right fit” for the team. I personally thought he did alright in his first full season.

mongoose

Coach

if they're gonna offer Cleary a contract they need more than just Aubusson to retire.

Walpole

Juniors
They don't win the comp and their rookie half struggles so it's time for a new halfback? No thoughts that the coach might work with him, try to improve his game?

Could it be that Trent Robinson isn't a supercoach? Are the Roosters just good because they can buy the best players? So many questions...

Valheru

Coach
They don't win the comp and their rookie half struggles so it's time for a new halfback? No thoughts that the coach might work with him, try to improve his game?

Could it be that Trent Robinson isn't a supercoach? Are the Roosters just good because they can buy the best players? So many questions...

You understand the replacement will either be 11 game veteran Lachlan lam or debutant Sam Walker?

Valheru

Coach
Roosters need to look at some of their senior players like JWH, Plodner and Friend first

JWH has plenty of credits in the bank although I wouldn't be surprised to see him transition to a bench role in favour of Collins as next year goes on.

Cordner you have a point and I can only see a medical retirement in his future.

Jake is not actually signed for next year at this stage (likely will get an extension soon) and there is a clear succession plan in place with Verrils and Lussick.

The_Frog

First Grade
When a halfback doesn't touch the ball in the last 20 minutes of a semi final while the concussed fellow half gets all their touches, I'd said it at the end of the game that his Roosters career is done as his team obviously has no confidence in him. Harsh but true.
Keary passed the HIA so he wasn't concussed, and he was as dangerous as a rattlesnake in the latter stages of the Raiders game. Dumping Flanagan sends a message to the rest of the team, they are only there while the sun shines. But they've long known this anyway since Pearce was shown the door.

The lot of them are getting old. It is rebuild time. The Dragons might have been able to win comps every year 60 years ago but you can't do it any more.

The_Frog

First Grade
If the Dogs could land Burton from Penrith as well then that's a halves pairing with a lot of potential
Under contract until end of next season, and very likely to remain a Panther. Dogs should develop their own players if they want a halves pairing with potential.

aqua_duck

Coach
JWH has plenty of credits in the bank although I wouldn't be surprised to see him transition to a bench role in favour of Collins as next year goes on.

Cordner you have a point and I can only see a medical retirement in his future.

Jake is not actually signed for next year at this stage (likely will get an extension soon) and there is a clear succession plan in place with Verrils and Lussick.
Big fan of Verrils who I thought was one of the reasons roosters won it last year. JWH has been a top player for a long time but I think the new rules don't suit him at all, the quicker game and the refs eagerness to give set restarts is taking enforcers like JWH out of the game somewhat

dice

Juniors

People are looking at this the wrong way. Most of the Roosters stars are 27/28yo which means they are still in the premiership window for the next couple years. Also, Flanagan was always stop gap measure until Sam Walker ready to play first grade.

Do you stick with a temporary solution that isn't working? or do you ruthlessly chase another premiership whilst the premiership window is still open?

Last edited: