What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenberg wants 2nd Melb team

greenBV4

Bench
No, there are 700,000 to 1 million people in the north of Sydney and central coast who have no team.

Would you rather we put a team in Norwood in adelaide where 100 people are interested.
That 100 has a potential to grow if nutured properly

That 700k is likely already watching NRL

Which one is growth?

What we can learn from AwFuL is new teams in enemy territory fail miserably.

South Melbourne Swans --> Sydney Swans = B-. Great crowds and membership numbers. Shit TV ratings for most of their existence.

Brisbane Bears = D+. Team gpt their crowds up aroujd 18,000 in 96 with a bit of onfield success, but they always struggling off the field.

Fitzroy Lions --> Brisbane Lions = C+. Good crowds and membership numbers. Shit TV ratings.

GC Suns = D-. Lucky there are Victorians in the area.

GWS Giants = E+. Dumbest club.

No, there are 700,000 to 1 million people in the north of Sydney and central coast who have no team.

Would you rather we put a team in Norwood in adelaide where 100 people are interested.
I reckon the people in Adelaide who would support a brand new NRL based in that city are probably watching rhe game already. They're probably expatriates from the northern states, New Zealanders or Papuans.

The existing clubs could create membership packages aimed at people from Adelaide and Perth. Even if only 100 sign up, that's money for the clubs. Maybe strike up a deal with the state governments to take a game there and build a membership package around it.

Travitoh

First Grade
I reckon the people in Adelaide who would support a brand new NRL based in that city are probably watching rhe game already. They're probably expatriates from the northern states, New Zealanders or Papuans.

The existing clubs could create membership packages aimed at people from Adelaide and Perth. Even if only 100 sign up, that's money for the clubs. Maybe strike up a deal with the state governments to take a game there and build a membership package around it.

You'd be surprised how many unassociated people in Adelaide watch NRL. They might not watch it as much as AFL but without a team in the city, there's no reason to.

Non-NRL following South Australian's don't care about a couple of random clubs playing games at Adelaide Oval or Hindmarsh Stadium. But an Adelaide based team would catch their interests.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

I think Adelaide is decades away if they ever get a team. I do think a team in the second tier though would be good for them.

I also think if a team wants to play a game or two there that is fine.

The competition in a small city with two giant AFL clubs for the corporate dollar and support, sadly will take alot of money and a very long time.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
What we can learn from AwFuL is new teams in enemy territory fail miserably.

South Melbourne Swans --> Sydney Swans = B-. Great crowds and membership numbers. Shit TV ratings for most of their existence.

Brisbane Bears = D+. Team gpt their crowds up aroujd 18,000 in 96 with a bit of onfield success, but they always struggling off the field.

Fitzroy Lions --> Brisbane Lions = C+. Good crowds and membership numbers. Shit TV ratings.

GC Suns = D-. Lucky there are Victorians in the area.

GWS Giants = E+. Dumbest club.

You have to ask yourself also if it wasn't for the SL war how big would the Swans and Lions got. Not as big I would suggest.

This is one factor the AFL don't consider when they talk about he Suns or GWS.

Travitoh

First Grade
You can knock the AFL expansion teams as much as you want but every year they have kids debut that are from those states.

How many South Australians and Western Australians debuted in the NRL this year?

The NRL has more representation in another country than it does west of Illawarra. Think of all the kids that are being missed because it's 'too hard' to set up teams away from the east coast

greenBV4

Bench
The 700k is growth more chance of turning them into rusted on supporters then the 100 in Adelaide.
With 8.5 teams in the same city they already should be
if the spread of those teams is wrong them move them around or have them increase their presence - dont add another one

All of Melbourne's AFL clubs are located within 10k of the CBD, you dont see people down here asking for new clubs on the peninsular

If Sydney's NRL clubs can't cater to more than a handfull of suburbs then there's something fundamentally wrong with them and they don't deserve a spot in a top tier professional sport.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Melbourne has 9 clubs, plus 2 soccer one union and one league club.

I don't hear any serious debate for clubs to move.

The AFL has grown their game well and protected the tradition and heritage of each club who came out of the original AFL.

I actually think it would be a huge positive for the game to bring the Bears back, the goodwill would be huge.

That doesn't mean the game can't grow in other areas.

greenBV4

Bench
Melbourne has 9 clubs, plus 2 soccer one union and one league club.

I don't hear any serious debate for clubs to move.

The AFL has grown their game well and protected the tradition and heritage of each club who came out of the original AFL.
You don't hear them wanting to add more to Melbourne either

And there is some talk of relocations every now and then, particlularly to tassie - however the main reason there isn't more talk of relocations is that they already have the country pretty much covered with atleast 2 teams in every major market, the fact the the only spot they can think of to send a team is tasmania tells that story

I actually think it would be a huge positive for the game to bring the Bears back, the goodwill would be huge.

That doesn't mean the game can't grow in other areas.
It does when the number of spots in the competition is limited, and it looks less and less likely we will ever move past 16 anytime soon, let alone 20

You have to ask yourself also if it wasn't for the SL war how big would the Swans and Lions got. Not as big I would suggest.

This is one factor the AFL don't consider when they talk about he Suns or GWS.
Something similar happened in North American motor sport back in the 90s and 00s. Open wheel racing split in two when the owner of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Tony George, formed his own competition because he disliked CART's a) enormous spending on technology and b) adding road and street races from other continents at the expense of ovals in America. He created the Indy Racing League, trademarked IndyCar and banned CART from the Indy 500. His competition used cheaper cars and focused on America. Fans flocked to NASCAR to see the stock cars, as crowds for the Champ Cars at CART and IndyCars at IRL dropped.

CART overspent and went bust in mid-00s, was bought by another company and renamed the Champ Car World Series. The Andretti family and other strong teams and drivers from CART jumped over to IRL. CCWS went bust in the late-00s. Tony George bought the rights and the rest of the drivers and teams made the jump He got rid of the champ car event that was run at Surfers Paradise by CART/CCWS from the early-90s until 2007.

The IRL became the IndyCar Series and its popularity is small compared to where CART was at when they had Nigel Mansell and were running events on the Gold Coast. The moral of the story is CART tried to expand globally to attract F1 fans, but eventually lost its fanbase to NASCAR and went bust in the process. The IndyCar Series won by focusing on the sport's history and existing fanbase.

You can knock the AFL expansion teams as much as you want but every year they have kids debut that are from those states.

How many South Australians and Western Australians debuted in the NRL this year?

The NRL has more representation in another country than it does west of Illawarra. Think of all the kids that are being missed because it's 'too hard' to set up teams away from the east coast
I think the ARLC should look at growing the game from the bottom up in Adelaide and Perth.

The talent pool is too thin to support any more teams from expansion markets. Teams from Adelaide and Perth will need to be successful on the field to make any traction in rusted-on AwFuL markets. There will need to be at least another 60 quality players added to the market to fund teams in these cities, and if they were added today then 55-60 of them would need to come from England, NSW, NZ PNG and QLD.

The Storm wouldn't have a strong 16k supporter base in Melbourne if they weren't instantly and constantly successful.

flippikat

Bench
With 8.5 teams in the same city they already should be
if the spread of those teams is wrong them move them around or have them increase their presence - dont add another one

All of Melbourne's AFL clubs are located within 10k of the CBD, you dont see people down here asking for new clubs on the peninsular

If Sydney's NRL clubs can't cater to more than a handfull of suburbs then there's something fundamentally wrong with them and they don't deserve a spot in a top tier professional sport.

I couldn't have said it better myself. In a national or international club competition, no one city should have more than 5-6 teams, TOPS. It's ultimately a limiting factor.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
You don't hear them wanting to add more to Melbourne either

And there is some talk of relocations every now and then, particlularly to tassie - however the main reason there isn't more talk of relocations is that they already have the country pretty much covered with atleast 2 teams in every major market, the fact the the only spot they can think of to send a team is tasmania tells that story

They don't need to add teams to Melbourne because they have still got the original 12. Sydney only want the Bears back, not a brand new club with no history or following.

If you reread my previous post i mentioned SERIOUS debate, particularly from the AFL or an agenda for move, there is none. I live in Melbourne I work with North supporters and they have no worries of their club moving.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
It does when the number of spots in the competition is limited, and it looks less and less likely we will ever move past 16 anytime soon, let alone 20

I don't believe that, things change.

I guess you probably thought Souths would never get back in the NRL, or Manly?

Latest posts