What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

MugaB

Coach
Geez talk about deth riding nathan, you should al be ashamed of yourselves,
He is the only incumbent panther in the origin squad that has won back to back since he was given the job.
Our errors cost us the game, not nathan.
Daniel Tupou, Luke Keary, and key some missed tackles,
Yes nathan dropped a ball, whilst going for a kick, but defensively he was sound.
Cordner went HIA, probably not worth carring into the next game, due to the amount of concussions he has had this season. Same as Keary, he was woeful and had huge amount of traffic come his way, he definitely isn't origin ready, Walker is definitely our 5/8th next game, atleast he has more size and can attack under pressure. Keary just got outmuscled.
David Nofaluma should be in place of Tupou, or at least Stephen Crichton, if they just want to stay with the current 27man squad, Tupou was terrible, bad decisions, poor reads, id take mansour with his dumb offloads over Tupou any day of the week. And before any posts his stats, just remember any winger makes good meters, its the ones that don't pretend they are halves that can win games.
Stupid, Stupid, Stupid! Need a Cotric, Paps or Chricton on that wing

Yeo is a must, Pomoz said it right, we have way too many aces, they are all cancelling each other out. But i don't agree with RCG. Cant be carrying a prop that whinges about not getting a start at club level into Origin.
And for all the errors cook made, he managed to redem himself with some great attack, and massive taclkes.
Needed more Junior Paulo,Saifiti and get Yeo in there, that with Jake, and Dale Fanukine, we got a great fwd pack.
Then see what nathan can do, our key element that was missing was defence in the edges, and consistent go forward.
I believe we have that if we drop those busted roosters, and bring in the form GF forwards of Dale and Yeo

Last edited:

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I am going back to 2018. Includes the series we won...So yes last night the side was beaten all over the place.

So in 6 games now.
0 tries
0 Try assists
0 line breaks
1 repeat set

I agree no where near his peak even but if he can't do the job. Shouldn't be there until he is ready

That’s a pretty narrow view of the game, especially origin. This is something I’d expect from someone who doesn’t have a great understanding of how the game is played.

Thats a shame Franklin.

franklin2323

Immortal
That’s a pretty narrow view of the game, especially origin. This is something I’d expect from someone who doesn’t have a great understanding of how the game is played.

Thats a shame Franklin.

So what do you expect from a half then?

If those numbers belonged to any other half everyone here would be questioning the selection

WestyLife

First Grade

Thats a shame Franklin.

No that's a concern for every NSW fan who isn't also a Panthers fan. If that was Mitch Moses we'd be absolutely giving it to him on here.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
So what do you expect from a half then?

If those numbers belonged to any other half everyone here would be questioning the selection

Well for starters, I would never judge a player by numbers, that’s dumb. Those stats don’t capture a true reflection of the game.

Secondly, if I was going to, I’d probably at least look at defence as well, that is after all, 50% of the game.

If you want to view the game this way, it’s fine, but you won’t win many arguments without more.

BxTom

Bench
Well for starters, I would never judge a player by numbers, that’s dumb. Those stats don’t capture a true reflection of the game.

Secondly, if I was going to, I’d probably at least look at defence as well, that is after all, 50% of the game.

If you want to view the game this way, it’s fine, but you won’t win many arguments without more.
In Pele's third world cup, his numbers were not too good either. But the numbers didn't say that opposing teams had two markers on him permanently, giving Brazil a free man...

GongPanther

Referee
I will be the first to admit Cleary didn't play at his best last night.

But in the next breath to make statements like Cleary is simular to Pearce or Walsh is just plain wrong.

Halves have issues when the forwards aren't going forward.

Field position last night in the 2nd half was almost non existent.

A number of forwards weren't pulling their weight in the 2nd half last night. Cleary didn't have any protection from forwards (like he normally does when playing club games) and was trageted heavily.

A couple of the forwards need to look at their own work ethic, leaving a large amount of defence at Clearys feet.
Throw in match fitness with some players who looked well cooked in the 2nd half, and the injuries a couple of players suffered.

GongPanther

Referee
If Nathan had kicked his two missed conversions, the game would have been tied. If that bomb for Ado-Carr bounced differently, he would have scored, and the blues would have won.
The funny kick from Capewell in which he set up Qld's first try, and that kick for JAC which didn't come off is what footy is all about. Sometimes the bounce of the ball doesn't go your way. NSW first try was the same way when Cook kicked through, and somehow found it's way back in his hands and he scored a fortuitous try. We'll be better next week after this run.

WestyLife

First Grade
He does have some valid points about creating under pressure for a half.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...e80335efe5c520d9e3a?__twitter_impression=true

Legendary NSW halfback Andrew Johns has backflipped on his call for Luke Keary to be axed for State of Origin Game II, believing now it’s rising Penrith superstar Nathan Cleary who should make way.

Johns said post-match Keary’s defensive vulnerabilities were exposed in Wednesday’s shock loss to Queensland in Adelaide, calling for Cody Walker to start next week to give the Blues some added spark.

But Johns has now changed his tune, telling the Sydney Morning Herald he thinks Sydney Roosters star Keary should be retained to play alongside Souths star Walker in the halves — even though Cleary is the only recognised halfback out of the trio.

“The more thought I give it, the more I’d like to see how Keary and Cody would go,” Johns said.

(They’ve got) more experience and Nathan’s had a long year.

“He’s young as a halfback at club level but in terms of Origin he’s a baby. This is the next development for Nathan as a halfback: create under pressure, under fatigue, with his team on the back foot.”

Johns said on Wednesday Cleary and Keary didn’t take the game by the scruff of the neck when it was needed in Game I.

“At this standard you only get a couple of opportunities a half, and especially when you’re on the back foot coming off your own try line,” John said on the Channel 9 coverage.

“Once you get those quick play the balls you’ve got to strike, you’ve got to play and I thought they got bogged down and they played too negative.

“And then once he came on they started playing with Cody and they looked dangerous, Queensland were vulnerable.”

franklin2323

Immortal

Isn't a halves role to create tries though?

mxlegend99

Referee
Isn't a halves role to create tries though?
Or create space so others can. He took on the line to help create space for both JAC tries. He didnt get the assist. But he still played his role in the try. If he doesnt take it to the line that space doesn't exist for the try. The whole team played it exactly as needed.

QLD defence in the middle was insane and the only way to get tries was creating space with ball movement. He did go for a play that was on kicking directly for JAC. But the wind got ahold of it and it went dead. Looked like a planned play as JAC was immediately after it if they were running the opposite way at the time wind pulls it up and its likely a try. Or very close if not.

Nathan is atleast taking risks now. They won't all pay off. Some might even cost us like his pass in the grand final. But its still a step in the right direction going for those plays on the big stage. Under Hook it was safety first so low risk low reward.

That said hopefully he gets dropped so he can stop copping all the blame. Luke Keary was destroyed in defence, barely made an attempt to help with the kicking, made a couple of errors and registered 0 linebreaks or tries or assists aswell. This coming from the big game star.

With so many playmakers in the side ofcourse its the playmaker at centre throwing the pass for a try.

mxlegend99

Referee
The wind got a hold of that Ado-Carr Kick, in a light breeze it is a try. Watch it again on replay it goes up gently then all of a sudden is viciously taken to the left of screen.
Yep. If it happened in second half its a try. Until that moment I wasnt even aware NSW had such a strong breeze behind them. Insane how quickly it takes off in the air.

I just hope these misfires like his pass in the grand final, that kick going dead etc. Dont cause him to second guess himself in future.

WestyLife

First Grade
Luke Keary axed as Blues make SIX changes for do or die Origin II clash

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...eadb141cbffb293c80f?__twitter_impression=true

NSW BLUES TEAM GAME II

1. James Tedesco (c) (Sydney Roosters)

2. Daniel Tupou (Sydney Roosters)

3. Clint Gutherson (Parramatta Eels)

4. Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders)

5. Josh Addo-Carr (Melbourne Storm)

6. Cody Walker (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

7. Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers)

8. Daniel Saifiti (Newcastle Knights)

9. Damien Cook (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

10. Payne Haas (Brisbane Broncos)

11. Angus Crichton (Sydney Roosters)

12. Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)

13. Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)

14. Dale Finucane (Melbourne Storm)

15. Junior Paulo (Parramatta Eels)

16. Nathan Brown (Parramatta Eels)

17. Isaah Yeo (Penrith Panthers)

18. Luke Keary (Sydney Roosters)

19. Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Parramatta Eels)

20. Cameron McInnes (St George Illawarra Dragons)

21. Stephen Crichton (Penrith Panthers)

Geez, pressure really on Nathan without Keary. Keary is much more of a playmaker than Walker, who’s more of a running 5/8. I don’t think it’s a good halves combo at all.

WestyLife

First Grade
Geez, pressure really on Nathan without Keary. Keary is much more of a playmaker than Walker, who’s more of a running 5/8. I don’t think it’s a good halves combo at all.

I think they're going for dominant/submissive halves combination. Not sure if it's a great idea though using walker.

Abacus

Juniors
Luke Keary axed as Blues make SIX changes for do or die Origin II clash

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...eadb141cbffb293c80f?__twitter_impression=true

NSW BLUES TEAM GAME II

1. James Tedesco (c) (Sydney Roosters)

2. Daniel Tupou (Sydney Roosters)

3. Clint Gutherson (Parramatta Eels)

4. Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders)

5. Josh Addo-Carr (Melbourne Storm)

6. Cody Walker (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

7. Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers)

8. Daniel Saifiti (Newcastle Knights)

9. Damien Cook (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

10. Payne Haas (Brisbane Broncos)

11. Angus Crichton (Sydney Roosters)

12. Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)

13. Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)

14. Dale Finucane (Melbourne Storm)

15. Junior Paulo (Parramatta Eels)

16. Nathan Brown (Parramatta Eels)

17. Isaah Yeo (Penrith Panthers)

18. Luke Keary (Sydney Roosters)

19. Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Parramatta Eels)

20. Cameron McInnes (St George Illawarra Dragons)

21. Stephen Crichton (Penrith Panthers)
Deckchairs shuffled.

Latest posts