What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

ACTPanthers

Bench
Do we really have posters here who think "Piss off" and "Have a bex and lie down" is opinion and not an insult?

Funny how some posters scream from the rooftops when they're apparently being insulted, and then are more than happy to insult others and somehow provide a justification for it...

This place is just pathetic now... and there's literally 2-3 people who are making it this way.

I'm looking forward to being told to "have a bex" or "piss off"

Just pathetic really.

GongPanther

Referee
I would be interested to know how many tackles Cleary made last night. It seemed to me he did a lot of cover defense. You cannot run the game if you are playing behind a beaten pack and continually coming from the 10 meter line..
Especially in the 2nd half, he was doing quite a bit of ball and all defence. Our forwards with two exceptions were running on reserves.

franklin2323

Immortal
Especially in the 2nd half, he was doing quite a bit of ball and all defence. Our forwards with two exceptions were running on reserves.

I don't disagree but easiest way to change that is kick to corner and belt them. Every kick was bomb and hope they drop it rather then to make something happen

franklin2323

Immortal
I am with Franklin on this, Cleary's leadership and game management completely goes missing in many big games. He is not soley to blame. In the GF we got outcoached with some of our players having shockers.

Last night we were similarly out coached and our 'Centres' + Keary were poor defensively.

Cleary is rightfully getting a Pearce like reputation for going quiet in big games which does not bode well if that doesn't improve.

If Ivan wasn't the coach I wouldn't be too worried because Luai or some other star would become our go to clutch/big game player but for better or worse this is Nathan's team. I hope he improves this aspect of his game dramatically starting from next year.

Yeah again the excuses can come about other players etc, but Champion halfbacks can take control and pull off big plays even when their team mates are overmatched. Nathan doesn't seem to have it in him ATM when it really matters.

That last paragraph describes it perfectly. His try v Souths and v Manly are 2 examples of times he produced an individual try from nothing. So he can do it but not in big games as was the case with Pearce

snickers007

Juniors
Do we really have posters here who think "Piss off" and "Have a bex and lie down" is opinion and not an insult?

Funny how some posters scream from the rooftops when they're apparently being insulted, and then are more than happy to insult others and somehow provide a justification for it...

This place is just pathetic now... and there's literally 2-3 people who are making it this way.

Just pathetic really.

It would be really handy if we had an active moderator in our forum...
Regardless, I think I'll start to report posts that continue to filth up the place.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Just pathetic really.

In my humble opinion I see 'Piss off, and have a bex and a lie down' as an opinion. Sure maybe a bit cheeky but not abuse.

I wasn;t speaking to you, I was speaking about the claim that Cleary is in the Luke Walsh class of halfbacks. That is (in my opinion) an outrageous statement. Hence my reply. I won't stand down from that reply because I believe such a statement was pure twaddle. (based on the fact that Cleary was voted by his peers to be the best halfback in the NRL 2020)

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
That last paragraph describes it perfectly. His try v Souths and v Manly are 2 examples of times he produced an individual try from nothing. So he can do it but not in big games as was the case with Pearce
Not a bad individual effort in the GF and last night he was only just pulled down short after a similar effort. I do think people are getting a bit carried away.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I will be the first to admit Cleary didn't play at his best last night.

But in the next breath to make statements like Cleary is simular to Pearce or Walsh is just plain wrong.

Halves have issues when the forwards aren't going forward.

Field position last night in the 2nd half was almost non existent.

A number of forwards weren't pulling their weight in the 2nd half last night. Cleary didn't have any protection from forwards (like he normally does when playing club games) and was trageted heavily.

A couple of the forwards need to look at their own work ethic, leaving a large amount of defence at Clearys feet.

Jane Murray

Bench
Exactly. This is the foundation of fact.

2nd half last night, blues had no field position. All sets started basically from the goal line. Clive Churchill or Dally Messenger would not have been able to turn it around.
If Nathan had kicked his two missed conversions, the game would have been tied. If that bomb for Ado-Carr bounced differently, he would have scored, and the blues would have won.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not a bad individual effort in the GF and last night he was only just pulled down short after a similar effort. I do think people are getting a bit carried away.

Against 11 players with the game over. Game management as a whole was lacking.

We were attacking the Storm line in the 1st minute of the GF and put up a nothing little kick. That was the total opposite of what got us the minor premiership

Watch that 11 game run or so of no points conceded in the 1st 20. In those situations we were rolling it in to the ingoals. Followed up with ball movement then back in goal and repeat until we broke them down.

SOO was the same last night. As a team they looked rushed as we did in those finals games trying to score off every play. The halfback controls or should control the way you attack.

That is I mean by how he falls away in the games that mean something

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
If Nathan had kicked his two missed conversions, the game would have been tied. If that bomb for Ado-Carr bounced differently, he would have scored, and the blues would have won.

Yep but that doesn't fit in with the 'narrative of some'. LOL.

It's starting to amuse me no end. If your great claim to fame is death riding various players.........have fun, I can't be bothered answering their rants........

Munted

Bench
Exactly. This is the foundation of fact.

2nd half last night, blues had no field position. All sets started basically from the goal line. Clive Churchill or Dally Messenger would not have been able to turn it around.
Did you notice how we gave qld an eternity to kick on the last? Absolutely no pressure. Nathan was hammered all night and rushed. Never really got us out of trouble.
The kicking game got qld back into it.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Did you notice how we gave qld an eternity to kick on the last? Absolutely no pressure. Nathan was hammered all night and rushed. Never really got us out of trouble.
The kicking game got qld back into it.

Cleary was targeted heavily last night. He got little protection from his forwards. The kick your referring to, on his own 20 meter line, pressured by an opposition player.......

That is hardly Cleary's fault that Qld got time to get kicks away. Or was Cleary the only person in the NSW team.......His tackle count (cleary's ) better than many of the forwards.

I'll agree he wasn't at his best, but after a big season that can happen. He bloke is human not a robot.....(like some of you are demanding he be.)

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Our forwards weren't beaten in the GF though. Even games we win he is quiet though

Just admit you don't like the bloke.

I hope I don't see you lining up for autographs along the fenceline at the ground. While very willing to sit behind a keyboard and make unsubstustable claims, whom his peers say is the best in the gake during 2020.

Latest posts