What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Case for Adelaide.....

Travitoh

First Grade
I would be excited and proud to see them in Queensland's competition and would enjoy watching them play in Brisbane, but I see your point. It would be funny and ironic if it happened, especially if Melbourne fielded a team in it as it would make it more national than the NRL.

From a personal point of view, an Adelaide team playing second teir would excite me too. But i already follow the game.

Maybe a national QRL could be Clive Palmers next project? :joy:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've read articles in the paper saying the broadcasters don't want 18 teams.

My guess is we'll have 17 teams until one strikes up financial problems, then it'll be cut to bring it back to 16.

Manly will in dire straights when Penn pulls up stumps.

MANLY-WARRINGAH SEA EAGLES LIMITED has 157 total employees across all of its locations and generates $16.00 million in sales (USD).

Key Principal
SCOTT RICHARD PENN

Incorporated

Website
www.seaeagles.com.au

https://www.dnb.com/business-direct...limited.b55c7a4b6dfbd8b13924b79924415755.html

Do you honestly think News Ltd and Ch9 want teams in Adelaide and Perth?

News Ltd cut the Reds and Rams when they were 50% stakeholders in the game.

Ch9 doesn't want teams in those cities, but all reports show they want another one in Brisbane. With Foxtel signed up until 2027 and Ch9 only to 2023 that gives the ARLC and Ch9 more clout when it comes to adding Brisbane 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if Titans were relocated to Brisbane to become the 3rd team.

if the traditional broadcasters dont want more nrl content (some of the biggest watched sport on tv) then the nrl should be saying fine, we’ll sell the extra content from our expansion via streaming. I’m sure the broadcasters didn’t really want to pay the estimated $52mill a year that the ninth afl game cost them but guess what, the afl didn’t care lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore

My guess is we'll have 17 teams until one strikes up financial problems, then it'll be cut to bring it back to 16.

MANLY-WARRINGAH SEA EAGLES LIMITED has 157 total employees across all of its locations and generates $16.00 million in sales (USD).

Key Principal
SCOTT RICHARD PENN

Incorporated

Website
www.seaeagles.com.au

https://www.dnb.com/business-direct...limited.b55c7a4b6dfbd8b13924b79924415755.html

Ch9 doesn't want teams in those cities, but all reports show they want another one in Brisbane. With Foxtel signed up until 2027 and Ch9 only to 2023 that gives the ARLC and Ch9 more clout when it comes to adding Brisbane 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if Titans were relocated to Brisbane to become the 3rd team.

why? According to you they are generating $34mill in revenue a year which is more than adequate to run a NRL club.

Arlc need to do what’s best for growing the game in Australia, stuff what tv wants, if the two incumbents don’t want the extra content sell it to someone else.

currently pre covid the tv deal was worth around $40mill a game. Sell the extra game for $25-30mill and someone gets a bargain and the nrl covers most of the cost of expansion.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are the Titans making $25m?

I cannot find any evidence of it.

TITANS RUGBY LEAGUE PTY LTD has 93 employees at this location and generates $9.50 million in sales (USD). There are 2 companies in the TITANS RUGBY LEAGUE PTY LTD corporate family.

Key Principal
ANTHONY WILLIAM HICKEY

Incorporated

Website
www.titans.com.au

https://www.dnb.com/business-direct...8637f0bca62b4c0f077e5e.html#related-companies

That's $11,516,850 AuD.
I might be negative, but that's because I don't see any evidence of the game putting teams in Adelaide and Perth. Do you?

V'landys said on a few occasions that there won't be any expansion into "rusted-on AFL states" and referred to it as a waste of money.

Why should I get excited about expansion into these states when it was made clear by V'landys that it's not happening?

that’s without nrl grant. If your figures are to be believed their overall revenue is nearly $25mill.

Vlandys is a myopic fool who will hold the game back outside of Sydney. He’s already started saying reasons why Brisbane2 might not happen soon. He believes 15k suburban stadiums are the answer for Sydney. He should stick to shonky horse racing.

mongoose

Coach

Key Principal
SCOTT RICHARD PENN

Incorporated

Website
www.seaeagles.com.au

I can't see the Titans moving. The QLD Govt basically built them a 27,000 seat stadium. I imagine the NRL would lose a lot of good will with QLD govt if the Titans just got up and left.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can't see the Titans moving. The QLD Govt basically built them a 27,000 seat stadium. I imagine the NRL would lose a lot of good will with QLD govt if the Titans just got up and left.

the nrl hasnt just sunk millions into them to then force them to move! Unless their owners decided to move them, which they won’t, they aren’t going anywhere.
Just another of GROTD poorly thought out ideas.

MugaB

Coach
the nrl hasnt just sunk millions into them to then force them to move! Unless their owners decided to move them, which they won’t, they aren’t going anywhere.
Aren't they (titans) already the 3rd team?
Brisbane 2 is happening regardless of any other bids, everyone wants QLD to become stronger in the long term, its whether an 18th team comes from a heartland state to bolster a 9th game or comes from a true expansion area, my money is on NZ2, although i'd prefer they go bold into setting up an Adelaide franchise and give it time and patience to grow.
If your gonna "kinda" expand into more heartland areas like brisbane, you should also do it in non heartland areas like SA or WA.

And if that all happens, and they are keen for another expansion to 20 teams, then NZ2 and Perth should be the focus, UNLESS, SEQ2 knocks it out of the park, then I'd say they'd focus on an ACTUAL 4TH SEQ team

that’s without nrl grant. If your figures are to be believed their overall revenue is nearly $25mill.

Vlandys is a myopic fool who will hold the game back outside of Sydney. He’s already started saying reasons why Brisbane2 might not happen soon. He believes 15k suburban stadiums are the answer for Sydney. He should stick to shonky horse racing.
$9m of that $13m grant has to be spent on player salaries. So while $13m + $11m = $24m, only $15m can be spent on the football department.

This is a club that only opens three of Robina Stadium's stands to the public because they cannot afford to open the fourth. If my memory is correct, they don't make money from their home games because their crowds aren't big enough to cover stadium rental fees.

We don't know how many tickets they're giving away for free. There's often more support at their games for the opposing team than the Titans. It's really sad.

Moving them to Brisbane doesn't mean they cannot play 4 or 6 games at Robina Stadium.

Wynnum Manly Seagulls make more from sales than the Titans.

WYNNUM MANLY LEAGUES CLUB LIMITED has 60 total employees across all of its locations and generates $11.40 million in sales (USD).

Key Principal
BRUCE LEONARD BAXTER

Incorporated

Website
www.wynnummanlyleagues.com.au

WYNNUM MANLY SEAGULLS RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB LTD has 8 total employees across all of its locations and generates $3.80 million in sales (USD).

Incorporated

Website
www.wynnumseagulls.com.au

Wynnum are the most popular BRL club. They would draw support from Brisbane's bayside suburbs and Redlands. I'm from Logan and I support them. I know people from the southern parts of Logan who are supporters.

If the Seagulls ever decided to enter the NRL then they could use a broad name like East Coast Seagulls and cover the coastal area south of the Brisbane River all the way down to the Tweed, playing 4 or 6 games at Robina Stadium.

The ARLC poured millions into the Titans to keep the competition at 16 teams, which they were contractually obligated to do to put on 8 matches each week. They did want the team to be owned by a local consortium, so their preferred option was to keep the team on the Gold Coast.

But what if the current owners bail or cannot keep up payments?

It's a volatile market down there and one of its owners, Rebecca Frizzelle, stated on The Matty Johns Show it is difficult competing with an AwFuL team that's propped up by AwFuL. The message I got from her comments was the team is struggling and needs assistance. They could help themselves out by not hiring Meninga to sit on his arse. Maybe change their name to Gold Coast-Logan Titans so they can develop a supporter base here. They should liaise with Valleys about relocating to Logan, renaming themselves as the Logan Diehards, and have them compete in the Queensland Cup. Now that would make them a stronger club with a broader fanbase.

greenBV4

Bench
Show it is difficult competing with an AwFuL team that's propped up by AwFuL. The message I got from her comments was the team is struggling and needs assistance.
but this is exactly why the NRL would want the Titans to remain on the GC, not logan, not brisbane

if they come across a bit of sustained sucess on field and some stabilty, i can big improvements for them

mongoose

Coach
Moving them to Brisbane doesn't mean they cannot play 4 or 6 games at Robina Stadium.

Wynnum Manly Seagulls make more from sales than the Titans.

WYNNUM MANLY LEAGUES CLUB LIMITED has 60 total employees across all of its locations and generates $11.40 million in sales (USD).

Key Principal
BRUCE LEONARD BAXTER

Incorporated

Website
www.wynnummanlyleagues.com.au

WYNNUM MANLY SEAGULLS RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB LTD has 8 total employees across all of its locations and generates $3.80 million in sales (USD).

Incorporated

Website
www.wynnumseagulls.com.au

Wynnum are the most popular BRL club. They would draw support from Brisbane's bayside suburbs and Redlands. I'm from Logan and I support them. I know people from the southern parts of Logan who are supporters.

If the Seagulls ever decided to enter the NRL then they could use a broad name like East Coast Seagulls and cover the coastal area south of the Brisbane River all the way down to the Tweed, playing 4 or 6 games at Robina Stadium.

That's the Wynnum Leagues clubs generating that money, once again being disingenuous to push your arguments. The Titans don't have a Leagues clubs to compare to. The Titans football club generates 9.5 million in sales on top of the 13 million grant they get, which is revenue they help generate as being one of the 16 NRL clubs. the Wynnum football club only makes 3.8 million revenue.

Why bother splitting games between locations? This causes issues for clubs like the Tigers and Dragons who have multiple home grounds. Many of the fans don't like it.

That's the Wynnum Leagues clubs generating that money, once again being disingenuous to push your arguments. The Titans don't have a Leagues clubs to compare to. The Titans football club generates 9.5 million in sales on top of the 13 million grant they get, which is revenue they help generate as being one of the 16 NRL clubs. the Wynnum football club only makes 3.8 million revenue.

Why bother splitting games between locations? This causes issues for clubs like the Tigers and Dragons who have multiple home grounds. Many of the fans don't like it.

:rolleyes:

Wynnum Manly are able to generate $3.8m, despite the fact they're playing in a second tier competition that's confined to Queensland and PNG, with marginal media coverage within its territory. Only one game a week is televised live within Queensland at the shit time of noon each Sunday, and is replayed during the week on Fox Sports. The other games are invisible and a team is lucky to be televised 3 or 4 times per season. Titans are playing in a national competition that has every game televised live around the country on Fox Sport, most at prime time and heavily promoted, with a couple live on Ch9. Despite this massive advantage, their football department is only earning 2.5 as much money as Wynnum's. If Wynnum can generate $3.8m playing in the Queensland Cup with a name that limits itself to a small section of Brisbane's bayside, imagine how much they would make in the NRL where their brand would be far more visible for potential sponsors and a name that represents the eastern corridor from the Brisbane River to the Tweed?

The fact they have a Leagues Club generating more money than Broncos Leagues is the icing on the cake proving it is a successful, well run business with a good standing within the community.

Titans are on the nose.

Last edited:
but this is exactly why the NRL would want the Titans to remain on the GC, not logan, not brisbane

if they come across a bit of sustained sucess on field and some stabilty, i can big improvements for them
This doesn't make any sense.

Let's hope they have some success. It probably won't be enough to repair the damage caused by Searle.

mongoose

Coach
The Burleigh Bears are more profitable than the Titans.

BURLEIGH HEADS RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB INC. has 83 employees at this location and generates $11.28 million in sales (USD).

Key Principal
IAN AMOS

Incorporated

Website
www.burleighbears.com.au

https://www.dnb.com/business-direct...lub_inc.affda147e005d397855bd99789646150.html
Give the Titans' licence to the Burleigh Bears, rename them Gold Coast Bears, and RL on GC will have a chance.

lol must include the Burleigh Leagues club as well as I can't see the Leagues club listed separately on that site.

lol must include the Burleigh Leagues club as well as I can't see the Leagues club listed separately on that site.
Yes it is the Leagues Club as well, but so what?

It's revenue, which is what a club needs. Your club makes a good profit from Leagues Clubs, so what are you whinging about?

The Canberra Raiders Group makes $53m (USD), with two clubs in Queensland. Their website says they own the Logan Recreational Club and Toowoomba Sports Club.

https://www.raidersgroup.com.au/
https://www.loganrecclub.com.au/
https://www.tsports.com.au/

CANBERRA DISTRICT RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED has 7 employees at this location and generates $53.40 million in sales (USD). There are 3 companies in the CANBERRA DISTRICT RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED corporate family.

Doing Business As
CANBERRA RAIDERS GROUP

Key Principal
BRIAN WARREN HOLLEY

Incorporated

https://www.dnb.com/business-direct...limited.4f71e7942a4cb2a9fef8e7b43bb6338f.html

The Canberra Raiders Football Department isn't all that rich.

THE CANBERRA RAIDERS PTY LIMITED has 131 employees at this location and generates $17.93 million in sales (USD). There are 3 companies in the THE CANBERRA RAIDERS PTY LIMITED corporate family.

Key Principal
DON FURNER JR

Incorporated

Website
www.raiders.com.au

https://www.dnb.com/business-direct...limited.f8e220962f6edab8d204d5fe8affd2d9.html

How about we compare Football Departments of the Broncos and Cowboys with the Titans?

Last edited:
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6170786/corporate-raiders/

MAY 3 2012 - 3:00AM
Corporate Raiders

The Canberra Raiders have quietly been building a commercial property empire worth tens of millions of dollars as the NRL club's cashed-up parent company looks to end its dependence on pokies.

A dismal season on the field for the NRL operation last year was matched by below-par financial performance, slumping to a loss of more than $220,000 on revenues of almost $12 million, including nearly $2 million in cash and in-kind benefits from the ACT government.

But the Raiders' parent group, The Canberra District Rugby League Football Club Ltd, enjoyed cash-flows last year of almost $50 million and healthy profits of $3.6 million.

The club's controlling entities have established a property fund, the Canberra Raiders Trust and an associated trading vehicle, CRTC Limited, which was registered in mid-2011 and is now fully funded.

The trust is now worth more than $33 million and has already made substantial investments in a portfolio of office and retail projects.

The Queanbeyan Leagues Club, the financial engine room of the group, diverted more than $15 million last year into the new property group and still retains a healthy balance sheet.

The Canberra Raiders have previously refused to publicly disclose details of their financial performance, but documents lodged with corporate regulator ASIC show the NRL club recorded a $226,000 loss in 2010-2011 despite netting almost $12 million from TV money, gate receipts, merchandising, sponsorship and match-day sales.

The club's income also includes $1.4 million in annual ''appearance fees'' from the ACT government, which also provides payroll tax concessions worth $500,000 each year. The fortunes of the football club will be improved by the two-year sponsorship deal with Chinese technology giant Huawei worth $1.7 million completed in March.

Despite the bottom-line loss posted by the NRL club in 2010-2011, its parent outfit is in rude financial health.

The Canberra Times understands that two large interstate office investments have been acquired and the jewel in the crown of the property empire is the purchase of a Bunnings Warehouse site in the Sydney suburb of Seven Hills.

The Raiders group is easily the region's biggest operator of poker machines with more than 830 pokies in seven clubs across the ACT and Queanbeyan.

The Mawson Club, which recorded gaming profits of nearly $3 million on gambling revenue of nearly $5.3 million, also contributed $200,000 to The Canberra Raiders Trust last year.

March marked 10 years since The Canberra District Rugby League Football Club Ltd took full control of the Raiders back from News Limited with the club hemorrhaging up to $200,000 a month.

But leagues club president John McIntyre told The Canberra Times that the days of struggle were over.

''[Melbourne Storm coach] Craig Bellamy said that the Raiders were a team under pressure, well I don't know where he got that from,'' Mr McIntyre said. ''If there is pressure, it's on the board and the management not to take its eye off the ball.''

Mr McIntyre said that he and his colleagues were pleased with their commercial real estate acquisitions, some of which were yielding annual returns of up to 8 per cent. But no property had been bought in the ACT.

''It has been all interstate but that's not to say that we haven't looked at opportunities here,'' he said.

Mr McIntyre said the diversification strategy was vital to ensure that the group could guarantee the future of the Raiders' NRL side and the financial security of the game's junior and senior leagues in the region.

''We need to diversify if we are going to guarantee the game of rugby league, and that's not just the Raiders,'' he said.

Football Departments of Broncos, Cowboys and Titans.

BRISBANE BRONCOS LIMITED
has 150 total employees across all of its locations and generates $25.53 million in sales (USD). There are 120 companies in the BRISBANE BRONCOS LIMITED corporate family.

Key Principal
PAUL WHITE

Incorporated

Website
www.broncos.com.au

https://www.dnb.com/business-direct...limited.e61070df81902b557ea60f0af2505141.html

COWBOYS RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL LIMITED
has 450 employees at this location and generates $23.83 million in sales (USD).

Key Principal

SANDRA LEE HARDING

Incorporated

Website
www.cowboys.com.au

https://www.dnb.com/business-direct...limited.74a3102787645cac53d89c75489d22c7.html

TITANS RUGBY LEAGUE PTY LTD has 93 employees at this location and generates $9.50 million in sales (USD).

Key Principal
ANTHONY WILLIAM HICKEY

Incorporated

Website
www.titans.com.au

https://www.dnb.com/business-direct...pty_ltd.8989e583178637f0bca62b4c0f077e5e.html

mongoose

Coach
The Titans haven't been around as long as those two. They've made the finals once since 2011. They are tipped to finish in the top 8 next season by many so lets see how their crowds go. I reckon they will be pretty decent provided covid doesn't affect the season. A few years of being competitive and they might even climb back to 18-19k a game.