What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Canberra @ GIO Stadium Canberra

Who will win? Round 1: Canberra v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tiger Ted

Bench
Mate I get it but you have to play against men at some stage.
It's my desire to see Madden kick on so we can piss off Mybe and use that money on depth.
We’ve been trying to get rid of the liability for 12 mths & unfortunately for us nobody wants him.Only 2 more yrs of the pathetic peaheart !

BrotherJim05

Bench
f**k me we will be flying under the radar this year. Most non-Tigers supporters will look at our team and go meh...nothing special, but I think we are really going to give the comp a shake. Fast backs, young talent, MASSIVE forwards...we are an organizing playmaker away from having a top 8 side.

My tips:
  1. Laurie to have a blinder with MoM. He's a complete unknown - I feel like Canberra won't be able to predict him and he will put on two tries and setup another two
  2. Brooks to play a really good game but poor stats (e.g. no try assists). Everyone will start questioning whether he is the man to steer us around the park
  3. Ofahangue to have a quiet game while he finds his feet in the new club
  4. Luciano to really bring the pain and absolutely belt someone with the tackle (legal) of the round. We will be trailing in the game but this tackle will be the turning point to which we win in a nail biter.

Tigers by 2

Tiger05

First Grade
Packer is undoubtedly there because Musgrove is a bone head & Mbye will be either 14 or left right out when AD is back

Mbye can play multiple positions well. He just isn't great at any position. He is a perfect utility player if he was on a lot less money.

Packer can play. He has his moments. He also isn't an undersized forward. He has just been injured and inconsistent with us.

They are both going to struggle making the top team throughout the year unless they perform to their absolute best. If I was picking the team and everyone was fit there is no way Packer would make the team and I would have Simpkin over Mbye but I can understand having Mbye on the bench. He can play basically anywhere in the backline and hooker and maybe he a small lock forward.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Mbye can play multiple positions well. He just isn't great at any position. He is a perfect utility player if he was on a lot less money.

Packer can play. He has his moments. He also isn't an undersized forward. He has just been injured and inconsistent with us.

They are both going to struggle making the top team throughout the year unless they perform to their absolute best. If I was picking the team and everyone was fit there is no way Packer would make the team and I would have Simpkin over Mbye but I can understand having Mbye on the bench. He can play basically anywhere in the backline and hooker and maybe he a small lock forward.

I would prefer Jake Simpkin as our 14 aswell but it’s obvious Madge wants the kid to bide his time in NSW cup with his non selection in the extended squad this week.

I agree Packer has a point to prove and will probably give us a good season however it won’t make up for the 2 years of hot garbage he’s delivered us. Stefano has earnt his spot through hard work and impressing greatly during the trials, keen to see him take the next step

Vozzy

Juniors
Some guys are still a tad raw to start now but at least there is depth in positions now. Still have AD, Blore and Musgrove to come back into this team. Simpkins, Madden, MCK, Talau, Simpkin not in starting team shows the depth now. BJ needs a big year or Talau will hold the centre spot for mine.

Tiger05

First Grade
Some guys are still a tad raw to start now but at least there is depth in positions now. Still have AD, Blore and Musgrove to come back into this team. Simpkins, Madden, MCK, Talau, Simpkin not in starting team shows the depth now. BJ needs a big year or Talau will hold the centre spot for mine.

Our squad against Canberra looks good but we have 3 guys who should be in the starting team out plus a bunch of guys that will be pushing for a spot.

Madge/Hartigan have given us a much better looking team compared to previous years.

Packer deserves his place in the sun.

We need his imposing grunt factor to be let loose on their robotic thoughtless meatheads. He’s a good distraction.

I just hope he has the energy to see it through.

Tiger05

First Grade
It's amazing what 3 or 4 weeks can do. I am now confident of a win this weekend and of making top 8.I know I might be getting a bit over excited but top 4 is not out of the question.
Go you good things !!!

We are tipped bottom 4 but Tigers fans I think are pretty positive. I hope this isn't another let down year.

The Rosco

Bench
How hard is it for us to not be positive ?
Like you guys say, every fan of other teams thinks we are shit as usual.
We know this is the best we've looked in a long, long time.
Trouble is, when we randomly say to a mate " gee, I think the Tigpies are gonna have a good year", he just laughs and says " yeah right . . like all them other years ?"
But this is the best we've looked in a long time. And we know it.
Under the radar.
Under their ribcage.
Under the posts.
Go you glorious, frustrating bastards !!!!!

BrotherJim05

Bench
We have to also remember that team lists aren't chosen purely on talent. Players have to earn their spot, and without any games played this season, how they handled pre-season is a big factor. Maybe Packer and Mbye were ultra professional throughout the entire season and absolutely ripped in like their lives depended on it, whereas some of the younger (and more talented) guys carried on like they were in an All Or Nothing episode? Madge preaches toughness and working hard, so it's only fitting that he would reward the players who ripped in the hardest during pre-season. There is a lot going on behind the scenes we aren't privy to, but I'm confident Madge knows what he is doing.

Or it's a smokescreen.

Or we will get flogged and we will start questing Madge's decisions

Packer is undoubtedly there because Musgrove is a bone head & Mbye will be either 14 or left right out when AD is back
Speedy, 'or left right out' might be correct.

I was going to post the NSW Cup team on Tuesday but they listed the team with a few gaps and I thought, what a joke, so didn't bother. They are missing, 5/8, back rower, 4 interchange players and a travelling reserve.