What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

MugaB

Coach
If the NRL had the bollocks they would merge teams when the licences come up for renewal

For starters
Parramatta and Penrith - Western Sydney
St George Illawarra and Cronulla- Southern Sydney-Illawarra

Rename Wests Tigers - Macarthur Wests Tigers and based at Campbelltown

That would be 14 teams with an ability to include 4 new teams for an 18 team comp - candidates being the 3 QLD bids/ Perth/ Central Coast and 2nd NZ team
Jes this merger shìt again, give it up ya'll, it won't happen, its all done and licences cost nothing, why wreck clubs and alienate fans by merging them, i need to write a standardised quote i can refer back to everytime an interstate fan wants to remerge sydney again... truly dumb in hurting the brand, just hand over ALF the keys

flippikat

Bench
If the NRL had the bollocks they would merge teams when the licences come up for renewal

For starters

That would be 14 teams with an ability to include 4 new teams for an 18 team comp - candidates being the 3 QLD bids/ Perth/ Central Coast and 2nd NZ team

I like your idea about using license expiry to reshape the competition... however joint ventures just haven't worked.

Far better imo to push for relocation as a way to ease the congestion.

flippikat

Bench
Jes this merger shìt again, give it up ya'll, it won't happen, its all done and licences cost nothing, why wreck clubs and alienate fans by merging them, i need to write a standardised quote i can refer back to everytime an interstate fan wants to remerge sydney again... truly dumb in hurting the brand, just hand over ALF the keys

If the powers that be push for mergers again, they'd be mad, and would have learned nothing from history.

Relocations, however.. well, the AFL have shown it can work.. and preserve a heritage brand. Well worth considering, though it's hard to see what mechanism or strategy the NRL could use to achieve it, given their track record of preserving the status quo in Sydney for the last two decades.

MugaB

Coach
if an 18 team comp be 9 Sydney teams and 9 Non Sydney teams pools

Play each team in your pool twice and the other pool once - 25 games.

Finals series

Have either a top 5 in each pool with the two pool winners playing off - NFL Superbowl like

Or top 4 teams from each pool in a cross over pool 4 week finals series- like we have now

1's vs 2's (qualifying finals)- 2 winners through to week 3 - two losers play the winners of 3's vs 4"s in week 2
3's v 4 's (elimination finals) - losers out - winners play losers of 1's vs 2"s in week 2

and so on
And do the interstate/overseas clubs get a better salary cap, coz they'll be travelling three times as much as what the "sydney based" clubs will, this will end up having the best players in the comp in sydney coz it would be even more stable, only travelling away from sydney 4 times a year, do the math its already unfair...

The only way a fair conference exists is if the map is cut in half thru sydney splitting north and south clubs, a borderline lets say parramatta road, all clubs north of that play in the northern comp, and any club south of it play southern comp
Northern conference
Cows.
Bronx.
Bris2.
Tits.
Newy.
Manly.
Tigers.
Panthers.
Parra.

Southern conference.
Souffs.
Dragons.
Sharks.
Rorters.
Dogs.
Warriors.
NZ2.
Raiders.
Storm.

Last edited:
Facilities at all Sydney grounds were crap too...have a look at Cumberland Oval...it was a disgrace. Seating facilities were pathetic.

Those wooden bench type seats or whatever you call them near the fence were much prized - when you went to the toilet or canteen and came back someone was sitting in your place. At least when you went to the one away game a year to Lidcombe oval and that happened you could sit on the bike track at least.

And do the interstate/overseas clubs get a better salary cap, coz they'll be travelling twice as much as what the "sydney based" clubs will, this will end up having the best players in the comp in sydney coz it would be even more stable, only travelling away from sydney 8 times a year, do the math its already unfair...

The only way a fair conference exists is if the map is cut in half thru sydney splitting north and south clubs, a borderline lets say parramatta road, all clubs north of that play in the northern comp, and any club south of it play southern comp
Northern conference
Cows.
Bronx.
Bris2.
Tits.
Newy.
Manly.
Tigers.
Panthers.
Parra.

Southern conference.
Souffs.
Dragons.
Sharks.
Rorters.
Dogs.
Warriors.
NZ2.
Raiders.
Storm.

The non Sydney Based teams have to travel every second week or so in any case - 12 times currently so not sure why you think that is a problem with the two pool system of Sydney Teams and Non Sydney Teams- with 25 rounds in an 18 team comp.

Canberra/Storm/NZ/Newcastle/Broncs/Titans/Cows/2 new teams - be 4 teams in Queensland so they need to be in the same pool. If two NZ teams they will have to be in the same pool as well with Canberra/Storm/Newcastle making 9 teams in that non Sydney team pool.

Sydney teams should be playing each other twice so need to have them all in the same pool.

Last edited:

Santino Patane

Juniors
I think we all need another forum to talk mergers/relocation- it’s all mental gymnastics that isn’t going to happen any time soon/ever. I think the only way existing clubs won’t exist in the next 50 years is if they go under completely- there’s too many hang ups on relocations and too many rose coloured lenses in League to have anyone embrace new Sydney teams. I think best case scenario for those who would love to see a big footprint comp is 18 teams by 2030 and 20 teams by 2050.

I wish I could see an NRL truly National with Queensland as well represented as NSW, but it just won’t happen. My dream would be to have the Falcons there. But there are too many obstacles to make this happen in my lifetime.

Absolutely! I went from someone who watched every game each round,every week to someone who watched no League at all. I started watching other sports but now Souths are back I'm back to watching every game each round. I know I'm definitely not alone amongst Souths supporters who did the same.

You didn't sneak into the SFS to watch the Chooks by chance? - used to see a few of your fellow supporters at these games. Maybe they were considering crossing Anzac Parade from the dark side of the South side to the bright lights of the East side. :)

Last edited:
Sydney Roosters would adopt the area and play 3 or 4 games at Central Coast Stadium with the rest at SFS.

I'd have 1 team represent Southern Sydney, playing 3 or 4 games at Wollongong and the rest at SFS.

South Sydney Rabbitohs?
South Sydney Dragons? (Green and red)
South Sydney Sharks?

That's an idea

• Southern Sydney/Illawarra - Souths/Dragons/Sharks
  • Western Sydney - Parramatta and Penrith
  • South Western Sydney/Macarthur - Wests Tigers and Canterbury
  • Eastern Sydney - Roosters
  • Northern Sydney - Manly

16 Team Comp
  • 5 Sydney teams
  • 4 Queensland teams
  • Canberra
  • Storm
  • Knights
  • 2 x New Zealand
  • Central Coast
  • Perth
* Possibility of adding more teams 17th and 18th team - 4th Queensland team bids that miss out

MugaB

Coach
That's an idea

• Southern Sydney/Illawarra - Souths/Dragons/Sharks
  • Western Sydney - Parramatta and Penrith
  • South Western Sydney/Macarthur - Wests Tigers and Canterbury
  • Eastern Sydney - Roosters
  • Northern Sydney - Manly

16 Team Comp
  • 5 Sydney teams
  • 4 Queensland teams
  • Canberra
  • Storm
  • Knights
  • 2 x New Zealand
  • Central Coast
  • Perth
* Possibility of adding more teams 17th and 18th team - 4th Queensland team bids that miss out

MugaB

Coach
The non Sydney Based teams have to travel every second week or so in any case - 12 times currently so not sure why you think that is a problem with the two pool system of Sydney Teams and Non Sydney Teams- with 25 rounds in an 18 team comp.

Canberra/Storm/NZ/Newcastle/Broncs/Titans/Cows/2 new teams - be 4 teams in Queensland so they need to be in the same pool. If two NZ teams they will have to be in the same pool as well with Canberra/Storm/Newcastle making 9 teams in that non Sydney team pool.

Sydney teams should be playing each other twice so need to have them all in the same pool.
Problem is sydney pool only has to travel away 4 times a year to verse the 8 interstate teams in the other comp, and then that team from interstate will have to travel a third more, its an already unfair advantage, for a comp that should be designed to give every team the same salary cap and same chance to win.

Btw only the QLD teams need to be in the same pool, no one else has to, thats why its should be a geographical fair split NOT just sydney club in one pool verse the rest in another, which only gives a leg up to sydney based clubs also being guaranteed in the finals regardless, plus the main attraction for some interstate teams are the VS St.George or VS Parramatta, and they'll be less of them if sydney is vs sydney more often... your logic is flawed, because you want to box every club as either this or that, but they arent, they are all individual and if cowboys or storm find out that parramatta are effectively getting upto 14 home games at bankwest (the12 home plus vsdogs,and vstigers) plus 6 other sydney matches, (brooky, SfS, penrith, kogarah, cronulla, hombush) then they're away for 4 interstate games, (example Newcastle, gold coast, canberra, brisbane) where as warriors have to play home 12 times a year, and away 12 times a year, pretty shithouse in the fairness department

Last edited:

For starters

Wouldn't it be better to merge Wests Magpies with Penrith to create the Western Sydney Panthers?

They have a similar colour scheme.

You can add 2 Brisbane teams, 1 from Perth and 1 from NZ. Relocate a Sydney team to Adelaide.

8 x Sydney
4 x Regional Australia
3 x Brisbane
2 x NZ
1 x Melbourne
1 x Perth
1 x Adelaide

flippikat

Bench
You can add 2 Brisbane teams, 1 from Perth and 1 from NZ. Relocate a Sydney team to Adelaide.

8 x Sydney
4 x Regional Australia
3 x Brisbane
2 x NZ
1 x Melbourne
1 x Perth
1 x Adelaide

Seriously THIS.

A 20-team competition built for the future.

Add the 2 strongest Brisbane bids out of the 3 current ones

Add NZ 2 (Christchurch Bulls? Wellington Orca?)

Add West Coast Pirates.

Move 1 Sydney team to Adelaide.

Last edited: