What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Case for Adelaide.....

Jim Rockford

Bench
I definitely appreciate that you can acknowledge the situation with the unfair advantages given to the Storm and the fact they aren't pulling their weight in developing juniors. What I find strange is that you have felt the brunt of rationalisation in losing your team yet you are happy for others to feel that same pain. As a Souths fan who lost his team for 2 years, I don't want ANY other league fans to have to go through that. I have no problems whatsoever in adding teams to the comp. just not at the expense of others. If in the future a Sydney team fails due to it's own doing then so be it, but we should not be cutting any teams because some think Sydney doesn't need as many teams as they have.

I definitely appreciate that you can acknowledge the situation with the unfair advantages given to the Storm and the fact they aren't pulling their weight in developing juniors. What I find strange is that you have felt the brunt of rationalisation in losing your team yet you are happy for others to feel that same pain. As a Souths fan who lost his team for 2 years, I don't want ANY other league fans to have to go through that. I have no problems whatsoever in adding teams to the comp. just not at the expense of others. If in the future a Sydney team fails due to it's own doing then so be it, but we should not be cutting any teams because some think Sydney doesn't need as many teams as they have.
Growing up in the 90s I saw teams come and go in the Queensland Cup all the time, which sort of numbed me to it. I saw iconic clubs such as Wests Panthers, Brothers, and Valleys fall over, with one of them having history dating back to 1909.

Logan Scorpions, Bundaberg Grizzlies, Sunshine Coast Falcons, Port Moresby Vipers, Townsville Stingers, Cairns Cyclones, Mackay Sea Eagles, Toowoomba Clydesdales also fell on the scrapheap. Of all those clubs, the Falcons are the only one to come back. Mackay, Cairns, Port Moresby and Townsville ended up getting new teams.

There was no safety net for Queensland Cup clubs as the money wasn't there to bail them out. At the national level I saw the Seagulls, Chargers, Crushers, Rams and Reds fall over without anyone south of Coolangatta caring.

When it eventually happened to Wests Magpies, Balmain Tigers, Souths Rabbitohs, Illawarra Steelers, St George Dragons, Manly Waringah Sea Eagles and North Sydney Bears I saw it as survival of the fittest, as that was the name of the game in Queensland from 1909 onwards until pokies were legalised up here in the 1990s, but even now a team has to be sustainable or it gets the cut. I just don't see why the rules should be different for Sydney's clubs. There's nothing special about them that means they should be given more rights than teams from other regions.

Jim Rockford

Bench
I totally get what you're saying but I just don't think the argument that other teams have been cut in the past so we should cut more now holds water. Souths proved that a club can turn themselves around and I think the Sydney teams that are lagging just need the same thing, new ownership by people who have good business acumen. That doesn't mean they need a rich,famous benefactor like Souths with Crowe and Packer, but a group of smart businessmen could help those clubs realise their full potential. I would love to see all clubs become powerhouses but as can be seen in all major sporting leagues around the world there will always be very strong clubs and other clubs who aspire to be strong.

I totally get what you're saying but I just don't think the argument that other teams have been cut in the past so we should cut more now holds water. Souths proved that a club can turn themselves around and I think the Sydney teams that are lagging just need the same thing, new ownership by people who have good business acumen. That doesn't mean they need a rich,famous benefactor like Souths with Crowe and Packer, but a group of smart businessmen could help those clubs realise their full potential. I would love to see all clubs become powerhouses but as can be seen in all major sporting leagues around the world there will always be very strong clubs and other clubs who aspire to be strong.
What I would do if I was boss is hire a consultancy team to analyse the finances of every Sydney club and survey the public to see which teams have the potential to become a juggernaut, which ones will be in the middle of the pack and which ones will always be treading water. Then I would create a plan that says the teams that will always struggle to tread water will not be bailed out if they go belly up and, the ones that have the potential to become as big as South Sydney and Brisbane will be given extra support to grow their brand. The ones in the middle are like regional clubs, important to their catchment but will never be in the top echelon of the NRL with regards to drawing money and crowds.

The North Sydney Bears fiasco has to be sorted out once and for all. If a consultancy report finds that a new neutral team representing the North Shore and Northern Beaches will be more successful than the Manly Sea Eagles at gaining support from both regions, then I'd revoke Manly's licence, start a bidding war, then hand the licence to the consortium that has the most money and ability to unite the Bears and Sea Eagles fans so that there's a big team in the area that can draw 20k or 30k fans to rival the Broncos. It would be a golden opportunity for the NRL to lobby NSW Gov for a stadium somewhere central to both regions.

Sydney needs one or two of its teams to develop a city-wide appeal to counter the Swans. If we can get a team or two to become bigger than the Swans then our game will be in a great place.

ground zero

Juniors
Here's Perth Red spouting his usual shit "Get rid of your club so I can have mine!" What a sad,selfish loser he truly is.
Perth Red had a team called Western Reds. lasted 1 year. sold themselves to superleague like a cheap corner hooker. if they were loyal to the arl probably would off won a premiership by now maybe 2.

Perth Red had a team called Western Reds. lasted 1 year. sold themselves to superleague like a cheap corner hooker. if they were loyal to the arl probably would off won a premiership by now maybe 2.
ARL forced the Reds and Cowboys to cover the flight and accommodation costs of all the Sydney teams when they travelled to Perth and Townville. Neither club could afford it, so they signed with Super League where they weren't treated like second-class citizens.

ground zero

Juniors
ARL forced the Reds and Cowboys to cover the flight and accommodation costs of all the Sydney teams when they travelled to Perth and Townville. Neither club could afford it, so they signed with Super League where they weren't treated like second-class citizens.
an superleague sold them to the cheapest pimp. good bye from superleague an news limited.

Firstly, add Adelaide into the expansion list as below.
  • Brisbane V2
  • New Zealand V2
  • Perth
  • Central Qld
  • Central Coast
  • Adelaide
We think alike .. that the NRL needs to get serious and morph rugby league into a genuine national sport. Murdoch had the vision to include both the Western Reds and Adelaide Rams in his Super League. I have long pushed the barrow for the West to come on board the NRL. So has the WA Rugby League.. Not totally sure on this but dont both the WA and SA Leagues enter teams in the annual national junior comps? If so then neither are totally non league centric. Give em both a crack at the NRL in the next five years.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What I would do if I was boss is hire a consultancy team to analyse the finances of every Sydney club and survey the public to see which teams have the potential to become a juggernaut, which ones will be in the middle of the pack and which ones will always be treading water. Then I would create a plan that says the teams that will always struggle to tread water will not be bailed out if they go belly up and, the ones that have the potential to become as big as South Sydney and Brisbane will be given extra support to grow their brand. The ones in the middle are like regional clubs, important to their catchment but will never be in the top echelon of the NRL with regards to drawing money and crowds.

The North Sydney Bears fiasco has to be sorted out once and for all. If a consultancy report finds that a new neutral team representing the North Shore and Northern Beaches will be more successful than the Manly Sea Eagles at gaining support from both regions, then I'd revoke Manly's licence, start a bidding war, then hand the licence to the consortium that has the most money and ability to unite the Bears and Sea Eagles fans so that there's a big team in the area that can draw 20k or 30k fans to rival the Broncos. It would be a golden opportunity for the NRL to lobby NSW Gov for a stadium somewhere central to both regions.

Sydney needs one or two of its teams to develop a city-wide appeal to counter the Swans. If we can get a team or two to become bigger than the Swans then our game will be in a great place.
Parra are well on the way, it will be interesting to see which clubs can take advantage of the new stadiums that are coming. My thoughts are that with their existing large fan base and a modern stadium these clubs could follow:

- Souths (Allanz or Bankwest)
- Bulldogs (Liverpool or Bankwest)
- Tigers (Liverpool)
- Dragons (new Bankwest style Kogarah)

Latest posts