What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I do, yeah. I don't have any payTV / streaming services. I barely watch any tv, so it'd be a waste of money paying for something I would hardly look at.
When they used to put the game on here at midnight and drop it all together if golf or tennis was on was when when I gave up on 9 lol.

Pippen94

First Grade
It’s

not expansion, it’s consolidation. Brisbane is already a rl mad city with an option to follow nrl.
And look how hard they are making it just to put another heartland team in an obvious market. The chances of this current management having the vision, courage and control to properly expand the nrl to new markets is between bob hope and no hope!

17 teams leads to 18.

Pippen94

First Grade
We probably need another four or six teams to adequately cover every major market across Australia and New Zealand, but we lack the resources needed to support a 20 or 22 team competition.

There will be no rationalisation of Sydney, which means expansion markets like Adelaide and Perth will continue to go unrepresented. Areas that need consolidation, like SEQ and NZ, will continue to be under-represented.

If it stays like this for another 20 years then RL will be a shell of its former self. It's hard to feel positive about the game when it is running itself into the ground.

Only need the big markets so only missing Adelaide & Perth. Perth will be 18.

Jim Rockford

Bench
I do, yeah. I don't have any payTV / streaming services. I barely watch any tv, so it'd be a waste of money paying for something I would hardly look at.
That's typical Perth Red mindset. If it's not relevant to him then he thinks it has no value. That's why he is so "I want my team, I could care less about yours" And he wonders why everyone thinks he's a douchebag.

Only need the big markets so only missing Adelaide & Perth. Perth will be 18.
If we want to attract sponsors from the big end of town, especially foreign companies, we will need to have a presence in all 5 metro markets.

It's of no coincidence that the smaller Sydney teams struggle to attract big name sponsors, whereas Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast and even North Queensland have very lucrative deals with large companies.

Nuke

Staff member
When they used to put the game on here at midnight and drop it all together if golf or tennis was on was when when I gave up on 9 lol.
I can still tell you Ch9 Perth's phone number today from the amount of times I phoned them up back in those days with 'suggestions' about their scheduling preferences. It was about that time, too, that one year we got an hour highlights of each of the State Of Origin games. Several hours delayed.
They got phonecalls from me at the time about those too..!

Jamberoo

Juniors
The decision to put the Storm PF head to head with the AFL GF will cost both codes hundreds of thousand of viewers. I can’t imagine that the networks or sponsors would be happy. It may well halve the AFL ratings in NSW/Qld, but it will decimate NRL ratings in Victoria and every other state. It confirms that the NRL is prioritising protecting the game in Qld/NSW above growth outside the heartland and is further evidence that Perth will never get a team.

Hartwood

Juniors
The decision to put the Storm PF head to head with the AFL GF will cost both codes hundreds of thousand of viewers. I can’t imagine that the networks or sponsors would be happy. It may well halve the AFL ratings in NSW/Qld, but it will decimate NRL ratings in Victoria and every other state. It confirms that the NRL is prioritising protecting the game in Qld/NSW above growth outside the heartland and is further evidence that Perth will never get a team.
That game has been rescheduled and will now begin at 4pm AEST

If we want to attract sponsors from the big end of town, especially foreign companies, we will need to have a presence in all 5 metro markets.

It's of no coincidence that the smaller Sydney teams struggle to attract big name sponsors, whereas Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast and even North Queensland have very lucrative deals with large companies.

Major Sponsors - Sydney

Bulldogs - Laundy Hotels
Tigers - Brydens Lawyers
Sea Eagles - URM
Eels -Aland
Roosters - Steggles
Rabbitohs - Aqualand/Menulog
Panthers - Oak
Sharks - Who knows...some biscuit factory possibly

Then..

Major Sponsors - out of Sydney

Warriors - Vodafone
Cowboys - Toyota
Broncos - Kia
Knights - NIB
Raiders - Milk
Dragons** - St George Bank
Storm - Redzed
Gold Coast - Neds

**St George / Gong.

No blue-chips in Sydney clubs. 5 x majors / blue chips out of Sydney.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Major Sponsors - Sydney

Bulldogs - Laundy Hotels
Tigers - Brydens Lawyers
Sea Eagles - URM
Eels -Aland
Roosters - Steggles
Rabbitohs - Aqualand/Menulog
Panthers - Oak
Sharks - Who knows...some biscuit factory possibly

Then..

Major Sponsors - out of Sydney

Warriors - Vodafone
Cowboys - Toyota
Broncos - Kia
Knights - NIB
Raiders - Milk
Dragons** - St George Bank
Storm - Redzed
Gold Coast - Neds

**St George / Gong.

No blue-chips in Sydney clubs. 5 x majors / blue chips out of Sydney.
Geez, how much you say, Tigers get from their main sponsor? Thank god for leagues clubs.

Geez, how much you say, Tigers get from their main sponsor? Thank god for leagues clubs.
Yeah… although if you’d have seen their leagues club about 6 or 7 years ago, it was Five Dock Bowling club…

Wests Ashfield is a big one though, while Rozelle was still a squatters nightmare last I saw a few years ago,

Perth Red

Post Whore
Balmain show exactly where most Sydney clubs would be if they didnt have pokie empires. Look at sharks, instead of using their asset sale to build their fanbase they went out and bought more Pokies lol