What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 Panthers V Storm

Girds89

Bench
I don't think he had a shocker. There are things he could do better though.
Missed a easy tackle rushing out if the line when he didnt have to which lead to their easiest try.

Kicking game was beyond bad.

Had no try assists cause built no pressure.

The way he walked off the field im telling you he was beside himself with his game.

By his standards it was horrible.

Im not comparing him to luke brooks... compared to his best he was poor.

Iamback

Coach
Been busy last few days and havent posted to much.

Ive read the last few pages and have my usual gripes.. smug paying put on luai when burtons been rubbish all year is one but im not suprised by that.

Your a smart poster mate.

But sometimes you use stats to prove an opinion or agenda without tacking into account all the facts.

Truth is our forwards dont do anywhere near as much work as our backs..

We are a team that heavily heavily realies on our backs to do the grunt work out of our own end.

We do this so blokes like Martin can put in huge huge defensive efforts in the opposite end. Driving blokes backwards and getting them on their back etc..

Its what our team is built on.

I said it the other week but a lot of martins misses are from trying to put on huge shots where he may make an initial huge contact but bounce off. That initial contact tho is enough for others to drive a player backwards.. but still gets chalked up as a miss for him.

Martin barely ever misses tackles in our defensive 50 when hes being conservative in the line..

And in attack hes been really solid..he sees less ball than kiks and is on the weaker side. He gets used as a decoy a lot and as i said doesmt do any off the grunt work cause our backs do.

Using stats to try prove hes not involved much and isnt working hard is soo soo silly.

You want him.to make 150m a week? Well our defensive drive and pushing teams back 3m every tackle will go down hill..

Hes doing the exact role ivan wants of him.

I couldnt care less about the stats... i cant remember a miss hes had this year that lead to a break or a try???

Most his misses are strategic and in the opposite end.

Hes runs are strong and he lands on the belly and gets really quick play the balls..

The fact he isnt averaging 150m a game only speaks to the current team structures and nothing to do with liam.

No agenda in any of the stats.

Fox sports allows you to compare players across a position. The comparisions I use are in a relative position.

I don't like blaming individuals in a team game.
I posted elsewhere after Round 9 last year we had conceded 60 points.

This year is 110. In a relatively injury free period and a decent draw as far as opposition is concerned.

So I started comparing our guys to other teams. Came across it so posted it

Iamback

Coach
@Girds89

I know you don't like Comparisions between us and other teams. So I will do left and right tackle %

Crichton 81%
Martin 80%
Cleary 74%

against

Tago 85%
Kikau 83%
Luai 81% - better than Wighton and Munster

Michael Matral

Juniors
Your last sentence Westy I have no idea what you actually mean.

I agree that winners attempt to continually improve. I don't agree with the 'going off your tree' bit. To me that is extreme.

Luai has been playing well in 2022. The same with Martin.

Last week Penrith got beaten by a team who played slightly better than themselves, and a couple of missed goal kicks. Hardly the time to be declaring and blustering that the 'whole team is shit.'

Penrith played well. Parramatta played slightly better than us. Also the bounce of the ball went in favour of Parramatta. That is footy, and it happens.

The rubbish being thrown around about Luai, Martin, and Cleary is (in my opinion) is not fair.

Cleary has come back from shoulder surgery, showing some great form. So why the continual pulling down of such players.

Penrith were beaten by 2 points. Not 15 and not 20. In my opinion, the hysterical ranting is just plain silly.
You're always a good voice of reason Alice..

Girds89

Bench
No agenda in any of the stats.

Fox sports allows you to compare players across a position. The comparisions I use are in a relative position.

I don't like blaming individuals in a team game.
I posted elsewhere after Round 9 last year we had conceded 60 points.

This year is 110. In a relatively injury free period and a decent draw as far as opposition is concerned.

So I started comparing our guys to other teams. Came across it so posted it
None of this has anything to do with the stats you posted on martin...

Stats can be beneficial but they can also be decieving.

The stats u posted about martin arent a true reflection on how he is going in comparison to other 2nd rowers.

Theres deadset plodders whose stats are better but play in losing teams......

Martin fills hes role perfectly.

He will start for nsw this year or be a benchie.... pretty sure freddy doesnt count on the stats u do other wise he would be 27th in line or something....

Hes been really good this year taking over capes..

Bigger issues we have is ivan sticking with kenny and salmon.... braindead

hindy111

Post Whore
Honestly hindy..im not like some others in here.

Couldnt care less if you post on our chat or parras or whatever.

Youre always pretty respectful..

But you need to get over the injuries.. ive read half a dozen posts you keep referencing blokes being out.

Truth is
Waqa is shit house.. i dont care what you say.
Sivo is deadset rocks and diamonds..

And almost back us to have won even out of form if those two had played because they are good for a few mistakes a game.

Ray stone is ok but he aint nowhere near best 17.

Cant even remember the other plods you had
out..

Only bloke who gets in is marata niokure over carty.

Parra did well to beat us but id ALMOST argue you guys were as close to full strength as us.

The guys that played wing and centre etc are your future. Sivo and waqa certainly arent.

Perham and Opacic are not the future. They are barely NRL level players. Sivo and Waqa are far better options.

Anyhows I was responding to Smug suggesting Eels cant win it. I'd put the Storm and Panthers infront of them. But we are still a chance. And was stating that 3 guys would further improve the side to the one who beat you on Friday. Along with the fact Storm and panthers could get injuries or bad luck in finals.

Bar the top 2 sides if I had to pick another side then I'd go with the Eels. They've beaten the Storm 4 x straight and also the last 3 games against you guys have been a difference of 2 points and 1 point.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
None of this has anything to do with the stats you posted on martin...

Stats can be beneficial but they can also be decieving.

The stats u posted about martin arent a true reflection on how he is going in comparison to other 2nd rowers.

Theres deadset plodders whose stats are better but play in losing teams......

Martin fills hes role perfectly.

He will start for nsw this year or be a benchie.... pretty sure freddy doesnt count on the stats u do other wise he would be 27th in line or something....

Hes been really good this year taking over capes..

Bigger issues we have is ivan sticking with kenny and salmon.... braindead

Thanks for previously posting those stats earlier. I thought Martin has been doing the job the coach has given him, and doing well at it.

Like you say, stats can basically say what you want them to say.

I think with Salmon and Kenny, it's either or. I think at this stage Salmon covers more positions.

So I would be adding Matty E or Soni Luke (because he adds a point of difference on the bench with his little darts, and would be able to cover some positions in the backline) At the expense of Kenny.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Perham and Opacic are not the future. They are barely NRL level players. Sivo and Waqa are far better options.

Anyhows I was responding to Smug suggesting Eels cant win it. I'd put the Storm and Panthers infront of them. But we are still a chance. And was stating that 3 guys would further improve the side to the one who beat you on Friday. Along with the fact Storm and panthers could get injuries or bad luck in finals.

Bar the top 2 sides if I had to pick another side then I'd go with the Eels. They've beaten the Storm 4 x straight and also the last 3 games against you guys have been a difference of 2 points and 1 point.

Hindy of course the Eels are capable of winning the trophy. Your team has a great squad this year. To say a team which has beaten a full strength ladder leaders the previous week no chance of winning is bordering on delusional.

Now I hope my Panthers win this year, and win well.

Your Parramatta perhaps has there best chance in say the last 10-15 years.

hindy111

Post Whore
On your side. The backline is as good or better then last season.
Tago and May in for Burton and Momo. But Edwards and Critchon are playing better footy.

Luai I feel is good when its an open game. When it is a tight grind he isn't nearly as effective. But that can be said about many halves. For what he costs and same goes for Nathan its decent value.

I wouldn't look towards 2023. High chance to win it this season.
After that I'd probably re shape the squad and try and have another crack in 2024/2025. The issue when you have a good side is players who are average look great and cost more.

Look at Capewell and Sorrinson. I reckon top sides are better off to find average players in weak sides then retaining ones they've transformed.

Keep the spine, a few good forwards and backs and build around it. Reality is if your to stacked in one area you just starve the better players of more ball.

Kikau and Korisau are huge losses. But replaceable over time. Korisau is ageing and he won't be at the top forever. You got his best years. Kikua will have two more strong years I would imagine. But hey if he wins another title this year do you think the fire in the belly will still be there?
I reckon he is a huge risk to fall of the cliff. You see it happen all the time once guys have won it already, sign a big money deal and are getting to their late 20s.

murraymob

Coach

The reason I don’t think you can win is the Rhyno curse he is a huge anchor to your club .Banish that merkin and you may get tickets to watch us win again.hindy our new panther supporter

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
She said we don't coach so therefore can't have an opinion. Not very reasonable.

No Westylife. I didn't say that.
Well said Tom.

The mantra of Penrith will and must win everything by 1,000, to the alternative of the team is shit, and everyone playing in the team is shit. The swing is so wide and it lurches from one extreme to another.

Penrith lost one game, by 2 points. That's all. They were always going to lose a game eventually. Better now in season, that during the finals.

The pontificating by some, is frankly astounding. If you're so knowledgeable and have some great footy brains. For sure you'd be employed by a club for footy analysis and stats.

Or at least coaching a junior team in your local area.

I just see a lot of hot air being expelled.

Go back and re read what I said. I said some of the pontificating by some is frankly astounding........

Meaning
Simpified

If going off like you're the source of ALL knowledge about rugby league......I then went on to say if you're knowledge is so great, why hasn't some club picked you up to do footy analysis and stats.

Takeaway You're are just blowing smoke up your own arse, or perhaps a like minded mate.

It explains itself really.

Obviously Westylife you have problems with comprehension.

WestyLife

First Grade
No Westylife. I didn't say that.

Go back and re read what I said. I said some of the pontificating by some is frankly astounding........

Meaning
Simpified

If going off like you're the source of ALL knowledge about rugby league......I then went on to say if you're knowledge is so great, why hasn't some club picked you up to do footy analysis and stats.

Takeaway You're are just blowing smoke up your own arse, or perhaps a like minded mate.

It explains itself really.

Obviously Westylife you have problems with comprehension.

I understand what you meant perfectly. You were insulting us because you disagreed.

I don't think you see the irony of calling us simplified when you're the only person here who uses being rude and aggressive as a deflection for not having a football related argument.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I understand what you meant perfectly. You were insulting us because you disagreed.

I don't think you see the irony of calling us simplified when you're the only person here who uses being rude and aggressive as a deflection for not having a football related argument.

Getting more puffed up by the minute.

I'm being rude and aggressive......Huh ?
She said we don't coach so therefore can't have an opinion. Not very reasonable.

Obviously I'm getting close to a raw nerve here.

Seriously can't be bothered with you're hysterical ranting and passive aggressive behaviour.

BxTom

Bench
Anyone can have an opinion, just some might be better than others for a variety of reasons - inside knowledge, experience, being a true fan (jokes), as long as we have the tolerance here to let people have an opinion without this ' the people who disagree with me are #$%' type garbage. I see a lot of opinions here that I don't agree with and I just let it go through to the keeper because I recognise that I my opinion might not be right.

WestyLife

First Grade
Anyone can have an opinion, just some might be better than others for a variety of reasons - inside knowledge, experience, being a true fan (jokes), as long as we have the tolerance here to let people have an opinion without this ' the people who disagree with me are #$%' type garbage. I see a lot of opinions here that I don't agree with and I just let it go through to the keeper because I recognise that I my opinion might not be right.

Really well said.

Getting more puffed up by the minute.

I'm being rude and aggressive......Huh ?

Obviously I'm getting close to a raw nerve here.

Seriously can't be bothered with you're hysterical ranting and passive aggressive behaviour.

See what I mean. You didn't agree with the criticism of certain players - that part is fine. Your chosen response was to say if we are so knowledgeable we'd be coaching which implies we are stupid and wrong in regards to our football opinions, you then went on to say we're blowing smoke up our butts and treat the conversation like it's some kind of online fight. At least the other two users who heavily disagree with me Girds and I think ChrisD can back up their stuff with football knowledge.

murraymob

Coach
We can end this argument by saying I am right and you are all wrong
Now back to the game .Interesting stat Melbourne have won 14 of the last 15 minus Papenhuyzen.Shows how interchangeable there side is.still think we will win in a close one