What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Walsh confirms intention to remain with Warriors for next year (2023)

JohnDoe

Juniors
XCLUSIVE: Walsh delivers blow to Dolphins as Warriors star blasts out of control ‘rumours’

Jake Duke from Fox Sports
May 3rd, 2022 12:30 pm

In demand Warriors fullback Reece Walsh has broken his silence on constant speculation surrounding his playing future, declaring he will return to New Zealand with the team in 2023.

The 19-year-old has been linked strongly with the Dolphins under the pretence he wants to remain in Queensland around family.

Walsh has instead confirmed his commitment to the Warriors and says he never considered reneging on the club that gifted him his NRL berth in 2021.

“I’m going to New Zealand next year. My manager and I haven’t even discussed other options because we’ve always known that is the case,” said Walsh.

“When I first signed with the Warriors it was really before COVID hit, so I thought I was going to New Zealand straight away.

“It’s only because of COVID that we stayed in Australia for so long.”

Despite never having travelled across the ditch in his young life, Walsh plans to utilise the opportunity to mature.

“Going to NZ is always going to be a challenge and I’m looking at it like that,” he said.

“It’s a growth opportunity for sure.”

The young superstar has ignored constant talk surrounding his contract but decided to speak up to protect his teammates.

“At first I sort of laughed about it and would ask the boys, where do you think they get this information from because it definitely isn’t coming from me or my management or my family,” said Walsh.

“After a while it became too much, there were questions from my teammates.

“It’s got to the point where it’s worth addressing because it’s spiralling out of control.

“It’s not fair on my teammates or the club that they think I am wanting to go elsewhere. It’s not the case – we haven’t spoken to any other clubs, I have a contract in place which means I am 100% going to New Zealand next year.”

Walsh’s manager Nash Dawson denies even having any formal discussions with any of the clubs who have been widely linked to his star player.

“Reece is a great up and coming young player and all good young players will draw media attention, but that’s all it is, just media attention. There has been no discussions with other clubs regarding Reece leaving the Warriors,” said Dawson.

“Currently Reece is on contract, he’s happy and he’s just wanting to focus on playing the best football he can for the Warriors.”

Walsh does have a player option in his contract for 2024 with the Warriors, which would allow him to test the open market at the end of this season.

Dawson says they are in no rush to look beyond 2023.

“When the time is right, we’ll consider all options,” he said.

Source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/797063434f27d51e3f2ff7eef2d470bd

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I hated the whole feel of that statement. Not from Walsh at all, but the fact he had to explain himself when legally and for all purposes there had been no indication at all that he was going to anything other than play for us and fulfill his contract.

The media is pretty well pure dribble nowadays. 360 very heavily included in that. The Daine Laurie gambling BS was a fine example.

Juju

Juniors
I hated the whole feel of that statement. Not from Walsh at all, but the fact he had to explain himself when legally and for all purposes there had been no indication at all that he was going to anything other than play for us and fulfill his contract.

The media is pretty well pure dribble nowadays. 360 very heavily included in that. The Daine Laurie gambling BS was a fine example.
I can't help but feel it was POS agitating his media pals to try and get traction for it all.
The way POS aired out the txt messages with Ponga's Dad highlights some of the low quality character traits imo...

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
On ya son.

Still unsure why being on heaps of coin does not get you a fantastic house in Auckland.

You want a shytehole go to Melbourne. The home of Australia's embarrassment, VFL.

The place is full of thier violent rascist fans.

In Auckland they like Kickby, that is OK, similar game which at the very top is won by kicking.

JJ

Immortal
I’m not shocked at this, nor that Walsh either has no idea what 100% means or has much to learn about being quoted… ok with him changing his mind, unless he was flat out lying previously

spear tackle

Juniors
I actually expected he would go at the end of the season, still it looks like he stuck around for them to find a replacement.
Always thought Walsh was a great player although seems to be a little light at fullback the way he gets shoved out of the way by big forwards so would probably be better as a 6 or 7

jaseg

Juniors
Disappointing, at least we have CNK coming in who will presumably stay more than just 2023 at least. Not the same standard of player, but if he'll follow the ball and back up the play in support more often (like CHT last week actually) I'll be... well... not unhappy, I guess.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
TMM apparently wants to come home and Arthars could potentially be a swap option.

Walsh was never staying beyond his current contract anyway and was never going to be the player we needed before his contract ended.

I'd take any two of CNK/TMM/Arthars over current Walsh.