What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelementary

Post Whore
Good on you Stevie.

Earlier this year my other half received an email from a friend's email address (let's call them 'Person X'), and purporting to be from the 'estate of Person X', explaining that that person had recently passed away and sending best wishes etc. A few other close friends (but not family members) of Person X received similar emails. As it turned out the email was sent by the friend just minutes before he took his own life. Pretty awful from all perspectives. And just no outward signs that something was wrong.

That's so awful :(

I've seriously thought about suicide, myself, multiple times.

The only thing that has stopped me from doing it is thinking that it would end my pain, but my wife, and son, would feel pain that would not heal.

But I understand how things can deteriorate to a point that you just can't take it any more.

And I also understand all too well why people often don't see it coming - people can hide it very well.

Mental health is just such an important part of your overall well-being.

I've struggled with depression for 22 years, and it is tough.

Stevie

Bench

The only thing that has stopped me from doing it is thinking that it would end my pain, but my wife, and son, would feel pain that would not heal.

But I understand how things can deteriorate to a point that you just can't take it any more.

And I also understand all too well why people often don't see it coming - people can hide it very well.

Mate that makes my eyes well up reading that. The problem is when you are in that state you simply aren’t thinking rationally.
Let me say I’m bloody glad you are still with us!

The reality is, much more people than we realise have felt those feelings at some stage. We’ve gotta keep talking about and realise when we need to talk. Often once you let it out (out loud) you can feel the weight lifted almost instantly.

I’m glad we live in an age it’s encouraged to speak about it. Hopefully young kids in the future when grown up will deal with it even better than us.

Sorry to hear that mate.

While I seem to snap out of any dark moments pretty quickly (and I suspect that all I get is occasional anxiety), I have a few friends that I know don't. It's a bugger of a thing.

Sorry to hear that mate. At the risk of being someone to offer unwanted advice which you've probably had more than enough of I'll just say that depression and other mental health issues are some of the things that gets mentioned by people trying a low carb and especially carnivore diet over and over again. I've heard dozens of testimonials from people and to me they are utterly convincing. A very recent study on the carnivore diet reported 93% of people having an improvement in mental health. For the life of me I can't remember now what the YouTube channel with those testimonials was named. It was with Dr Shawn Baker and the company is now called revero. It's not just that site either but I've heard it from so many people.

hindy111

Post Whore
Sorry to hear that mate. At the risk of being someone to offer unwanted advice which you've probably had more than enough of I'll just say that depression and other mental health issues are some of the things that gets mentioned by people trying a low carb and especially carnivore diet over and over again. I've heard dozens of testimonials from people and to me they are utterly convincing. A very recent study on the carnivore diet reported 93% of people having an improvement in mental health. For the life of me I can't remember now what the YouTube channel with those testimonials was named. It was with Dr Shawn Baker and the company is now called revero. It's not just that site either but I've heard it from so many people.

Doctors used to pin depression on a chemical imbalance on your brain. Hand on meds to boost serotonin and away you go.
So what your saying could infact make sense if veges or food is sending it out of walk, except now they are beginning to change their tune. And those chemical imbalances infact may of been not true. Made up perhaps?
Why they have started looking heavily into new ways of treating depression with things like MDMA and Magic Mushrooms. They believe they can open new pathways so you can see different views instead of the current one. So using this would suggest they feel depression are your thoughts and thinking process rather then some sort of chemical imbalance which there not sure even exists and to be honest that makes far much more sense to me.

Of course I am not a doctor.

hindy111

Post Whore

But is the “Chemical Imbalance” theory true?
The chemical imbalance theory as a cause for anxiety and depressive disorders never was true. In fact, no experiment has ever shown that anyone has an ‘imbalance’ of any neurotransmitters or any other brain chemicals. The entire theory was hypothetical.

Over the last ten years, independent research has continually shown the chemical imbalance theory to be false. Furthermore, independent research has shown medications used to ‘correct’ the imbalance were largely ineffective with many fairing no better than placebo.

Gronk

Staff member
Doctors used to pin depression on a chemical imbalance on your brain. Hand on meds to boost serotonin and away you go.
So what your saying could infact make sense if veges or food is sending it out of walk, except now they are beginning to change their tune. And those chemical imbalances infact may of been not true. Made up perhaps?
Why they have started looking heavily into new ways of treating depression with things like MDMA and Magic Mushrooms. They believe they can open new pathways so you can see different views instead of the current one. So using this would suggest they feel depression are your thoughts and thinking process rather then some sort of chemical imbalance which there not sure even exists and to be honest that makes far much more sense to me.

Of course I am not a doctor.
WTF

hindy111

Post Whore
Heavy marketing by pharmaceutical companies not only popularized the chemical imbalance theory but also their medications used to ‘restore’ the faulty imbalance. Over time, this theory gained momentum and became an almost accepted fact.

Up until 2011, most medical and mental health professionals believed the chemical imbalance cause for anxiety and depression was true. As a result, treatment of these mental illnesses almost always included medication(s) to ‘correct’ the imbalance.

hindy111

Post Whore

Read up on it. It's very interesting. But you'll find drug companies aren't putting any research or money into these anti depressants anymore.
I'd be happy to take bets that in 10yrs Mushrooms and MDMA and other banned substances are going to be game changes. They'll be the new medicines.

Gronk

Staff member

But is the “Chemical Imbalance” theory true?
The chemical imbalance theory as a cause for anxiety and depressive disorders never was true. In fact, no experiment has ever shown that anyone has an ‘imbalance’ of any neurotransmitters or any other brain chemicals. The entire theory was hypothetical.

Over the last ten years, independent research has continually shown the chemical imbalance theory to be false. Furthermore, independent research has shown medications used to ‘correct’ the imbalance were largely ineffective with many fairing no better than placebo.
Science moved on from that trope eons ago. Mental health a combination of physical, genetic, psychological and environmental factors all bundled into an individual, with no person exactly the same.

hindy111

Post Whore
When I was 19 and having a rough trot the doctor told me I had a chemical imbalance in my brain. But there was no real tests. What proved I had it? I was just copping a lot of shit at work and didn't have a lot of friends at the time. But he handed me some pills that sent me f**kn loopy as. I threw them in the bin after 3mths and never went back.

Gronk

Staff member
Read up on it. It's very interesting. But you'll find drug companies aren't putting any research or money into these anti depressants anymore.
I'd be happy to take bets that in 10yrs Mushrooms and MDMA and other banned substances are going to be game changes. They'll be the new medicines.
Stop it FFS. Yes, medications are derived from many sources. However let’s not champion magic mushies or street MDA as a solution.

Go see a Dr if you are feeling unwell. Call Lifeline if are feeling unsafe.

hindy111

Post Whore
Science moved on from that trope eons ago. Mental health a combination of physical, genetic, psychological and environmental factors all bundled into an individual, with no person exactly the same.

How much did the drug companies make of this stuff but? I mean the whole marketing is they treat your chemical imbalance. Billions of people take them to find out a chemical imbalance never existed? Who is liable? Just gets swept under carpet.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Mate that makes my eyes well up reading that. The problem is when you are in that state you simply aren’t thinking rationally.
Let me say I’m bloody glad you are still with us!

The reality is, much more people than we realise have felt those feelings at some stage. We’ve gotta keep talking about and realise when we need to talk. Often once you let it out (out loud) you can feel the weight lifted almost instantly.

I’m glad we live in an age it’s encouraged to speak about it. Hopefully young kids in the future when grown up will deal with it even better than us.

Thank you so much, mate.

I've been getting professional help since I was 15.

Things haven't really improved, which is why sometimes those thoughts creep into my mind, and I seriously consider them - it is just so mentally draining to constantly battle these demons, and after 22 years, I feel emotionally spent; taking that option may seem like an "easy" option to some, but it seems enticing at times, because it would end my suffering.

But I then think of my wife, my son, my friends... I can't be guilty of causing them that much grief.

But I tell you something - I love my 2-year old son more than anything else in the world, and the fact that these thoughts can still intrude my mind is absolutely terrifying.

If anyone ever needs to talk, I am here.

And please - reach out if you need help. There is absolutelyno shame in asking for help.