What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday - trial vs Knights - 5.55pm Friday 17th Feb

Legal Eel

Juniors
There’s plenty of merkins who played last week that didn’t deserve to be picked on that performance. It’s just one game ffs. The team is decided before a ball is kicked, not after a nothing game in 38 degrees.
And the guys who didn't deserve to get picked, didn't get picked this week.

Except one.

And there is a glaring relationship between he and the coach that only an idiot could dismiss.

Legal Eel

Juniors
If it ain't broke?
You do realise that most successful clubs always seek to improve their weaknesses, even after winning a comp?

Most successful organisations, sporting and otherwise, look at their weaknesses and seek ways to improve even more - even after dazzling success.

We have had SOME success and should be seeking more. To that end, the weaknesses such as Makatoa and Arthur should be replaced with better options for round one.

What better time to trial those better options than in a TRIAL match?

For mine, Jayden Yates should be in the 14 for this match to see how he performs with the rest of the first grade spine. Mataele should be in the 17 for Makatoa to see if he can mix it in the top grade - then we can make an informed decision as to whether we should upgrade either of these blokes.

The problem with your argument is that you genuinely believe that Arthur and Makatoa are our best options on the bench and this belief betrays your lack of football knowledge as opposed to slavish statistical reliance.

Glenneel

Bench
I shit myself Saturday watching his performance it was so good.
My early prediction that Zac Cini would make the team appears to be justified by his selection and performance in the first trial. A big step up for this match considering the talent around him. Another good performance may mean elevation into top 30 and more game time in the top grade.

Gronk

Staff member
My early prediction that Zac Cini would make the team appears to be justified by his selection and performance in the first trial. A big step up for this match considering the talent around him. Another good performance may mean elevation into top 30 and more game time in the top grade.
You've hit the nail on the conundrum. Do you waste a top 30 spot by elevating Cini or Mataele to the top 30, when as development players they can be selected after June anyway ? If we have room in our cap, then those two remaining spots might need to go to Yates or Hands and a pre-June 30 acquisition.

hindy111

Post Whore
You've hit the nail on the conundrum. Do you waste a top 30 spot by elevating Cini or Mataele to the top 30, when as development players they can be selected after June anyway ? If we have room in our cap, then those two remaining spots might need to go to Yates or Hands and a pre-June 30 acquisition.

Is their an age limit on development spots? Couldn't we add two new guys there if we moved Cini to the top 30?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And the guys who didn't deserve to get picked, didn't get picked this week.

Except one.

And there is a glaring relationship between he and the coach that only an idiot could dismiss.
Arthur’s defence was very good and he’s been picked on the bench, where he will be used to give our ageing dummy half a breather. He hasn’t been picked ahead of Moses.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You do realise that most successful clubs always seek to improve their weaknesses, even after winning a comp?
Which is why clubs prefer young players, because they are more likely to improve from one year to the next.
Most successful organisations, sporting and otherwise, look at their weaknesses and seek ways to improve even more - even after dazzling success.

We have had SOME success and should be seeking more. To that end, the weaknesses such as Makatoa and Arthur should be replaced with better options for round one.
There obviously are no better options.
What better time to trial those better options than in a TRIAL match?
Because the conditions in a trial match (or any match) are more random and less subject to the control required to make an objective assessment.

This is why pre-season training is so important. All the things that indicate game performance can be isolated and tested during the pre-season. Players can be compared against each other in similar situations.
For mine, Jayden Yates should be in the 14 for this match to see how he performs with the rest of the first grade spine.
This sort of thing has already been observed by the coaching staff over countless conditioning and opposed sessions prior to last week’s trial.
Mataele should be in the 17 for Makatoa to see if he can mix it in the top grade - then we can make an informed decision as to whether we should upgrade either of these blokes.
The decisions are already informed. If you think Brad Arthur has no idea look at how other coaches selected their trial teams this week and last. Their methodologies are all the same because they are proven.

Mataele will be a much better player than Makatoa (and is no doubt more athletic already) but he obviously still has flaws in his game that will far outweigh the positives in NRL situations. Makatoa has been around long enough that he doesn’t have these flaws.
The problem with your argument is that you genuinely believe that Arthur and Makatoa are our best options on the bench and this belief betrays your lack of football knowledge as opposed to slavish statistical reliance.
Your problem is that you think lack of outstanding attack is a player flaw. In fact, the things considered flaws in NRL players are defensive weakness (including lack of effort) and high error rates. These flaws are tolerable (in moderation) in a team’s top attackers (e.g. Paulo) but not in the team’s role players. Those merkins just need to be safe, and leave the big plays to the stars.

Which is why I’m trusting the experts rather than trusting you.

But don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about Mataele and I’m not excited about Makatoa or Jake Arthur. I just recognise that raw talent doesn’t transfer to NRL success. Mataele would be heavily targeted in first grade much like Papali’i was, but without the several seasons in the NRL to know how to handle it.