What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Warner

Fangs

Coach
Johnson has a point. But it feels quite veiled.

He clearly has a rift with Warner.

Reactions: PJ

Meth

Staff member
Warner was struggling but probably earned a reprieve with his 200* in Melbourne a year ago. So, what's he done since? 365 runs over 16 innings at an average of 22.81. Terrible in India and ok in England. Hard to justify his selection on those figures and also tricky to unceremonially dump him, given his contribution to the team. It seems odd that he gets to choose his own exit, for sure.

Bazal

Post Whore
Warner was struggling but probably earned a reprieve with his 200* in Melbourne a year ago. So, what's he done since? 365 runs over 16 innings at an average of 22.81. Terrible in India and ok in England. Hard to justify his selection on those figures and also tricky to unceremonially dump him, given his contribution to the team. It seems odd that he gets to choose his own exit, for sure.

If we had an in form option he'd be in strife.

But Cam Bancroft is the only opener doing much and the bridges he's burnt would be hard to manage. Both he and Harris have also failed to fix issues with their techniques that have been problems for a decade.

Renshaw would have the most upside but he's mentally cooked IMO after what that lunatic JL did to him to get Sandcroft picked.

Meth

Staff member
Yes, good point. So that probably tips the scales in favour of retaining him. And he probably won't be the difference anyway, v Pakistan at home.

Haffa

Johnson continues to pander to the inbreds out west. Twelve months too late on that hit job. I was comfortable with him being dropped for the Ashes but given the lack of Shield runs from his replacements this season he might as well see out the summer.

I'd love to see Bancroft and Harris open for a series together just to see how their mates defend the 0's and 2's every Innings.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Johnson continues to pander to the inbreds out west. Twelve months too late on that hit job. I was comfortable with him being dropped for the Ashes but given the lack of Shield runs from his replacements this season he might as well see out the summer.

I'd love to see Bancroft and Harris open for a series together just to see how their mates defend the 0's and 2's every Innings.
Will probably get your wish in a year.

Usman is 37 in 2 weeks he won't be around much longer either.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He also said yesterday that all the World Test Championship winning test team deserve a start, basically saying current form means nothing.

Bazal

Post Whore
Meh. I dunno re Bailey. I mean, this is genuinely the weakest Aussie side probably in my memory yet it's won the WTC and ODI Cup.

We tried blokes with zero connection to anyone like f**ken moron Hohns, maybe Bailey's approach is the go?

Edit I meant Hohns, pre coffee brain

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
They are all a bunch of knobs, but I do agree with him I think Bailey is far too close to these blokes. You could see throughout Ty whole WC he was sitting with them all buddy buddy you’d thought he was a team mate and chairman of the selectors .

More of the same if we are winning 🏆

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Meh. I dunno re Bailey. I mean, this is genuinely the weakest Aussie side probably in my memory yet it's won the WTC and ODI Cup.

We tried blokes with zero connection to anyone like f**ken moron Hilditch, maybe Bailey's approach is the go?
Maybe, Ronny Mac is their buddy as well. Maybe this is what works with the modern player?? Notch would have loved it. Maybe he’s jealous??

King-Gutho94

Coach
Always was tbh i never warmed to him as a player.

He had a great summer where he demolished England which was great mind you.

But he was too much of an emotional sook in my eyes.

Ricky Ponting said it best in his autobiography he never played with someone else that was so naturally talented and destructive at this best but also be so mentally fragile when things went slightly pear shape and completely fall apart.

The 2010/11 ashes series for example he went from landing the ball in bloody Ipswich in that first test at the Gabba to destroying them in Perth.

Before going back to being useless again in Melbourne and Sydney.

I would have Starc ahead of him when it comes to left arm quicks.

I also reckon Ryan Harris was the best quick of Johnson's era. Unfortunately Rhino was made of glass but squeezed everything out of himself.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Btw candice is a dribbler no doubt about that.

But gee what does Johnson expect Dave is just going to let him bag his wife in an article and not defend her.

At the end of the day - Mitch probably started all this personal BS by going after Candice in the first place.

Leave that shit for the keyboard warriors.

King-Gutho94

Coach
@JJ might remember this but i recall a one dayer in NZ years ago.

Where Mitchell Johnson didn't he headbutt Scott Styris while he was batting in the dying overs of the match and it basically cost us the match as Mitch lost the plot after that & Styris whacked him for a few sixes when the Kiwis needed like 10 an over in the final 3-4 overs.

Haffa

Most of this is Erskine talking BS again.

This part though....

From Ponting also had one more surprise in his SEN chat, backing Glenn Maxwell for consideration for a Test recall.

“I could see him (Maxwell) getting back into a Test line-up because of the all-round game that he brings in those conditions,” Ponting said.

“The (201) not out in that (World Cup) game against Afghanistan is the most remarkable one-day innings I’ve ever seen.
Whoever called it in the WC thread was spot on

PJ

First Grade
Btw candice is a dribbler no doubt about that.

But gee what does Johnson expect Dave is just going to let him bag his wife in an article and not defend her.

At the end of the day - Mitch probably started all this personal BS by going after Candice in the first place.

Leave that shit for the keyboard warriors.

That's probably true, but Candice should also refrain from discussing Warner's cricket as well.

I tend to agree with Mitch's original comment as well as I found it a bit cringy listening to her defending her husband and also the way no one else on the Back Page would push back against it.