What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

LeagueNut

First Grade
Can anyone explain why we only seem to be looking at long-term established NRL coaches?

Anderson went OK when plucked from relative obscurity, and Cleary hadn't held a first grade coaching position before he came here.

We don't need a dinosaur - we just need someone who knows how the NRL works.

Rich102

Staff member
Good point. But it would take a very brave CEO to stick his head on the block and appoint an unproven coach at this time.

JJ

Immortal
Why the hating on Brian Smith - while he hasn't won a comp, he's shown repeatedly an ability to rebuild clubs to be very competetive, and create systems that develop young talent... sounds like the Warriors job description...

Cleary wasn't the best tbh, there seems to be some rose-coloured glasses in viewing his tenure...

ramraider275

Juniors
Why the hating on Brian Smith - while he hasn't won a comp, he's shown repeatedly an ability to rebuild clubs to be very competetive, and create systems that develop young talent... sounds like the Warriors job description...

Cleary wasn't the best tbh, there seems to be some rose-coloured glasses in viewing his tenure...

Have to disagree about Cleary he worked closely with Ackland to develop the juniors for the future ok, it took a few years , but bringing in structures worked IMO I see merit in things cleary tried to do.

We have done the rebuilding in the past, but would smith sign on short or long term??? I've seen Brian smith move around last couple of years since Parramatta and he's had mixed success where he has landed. IMO he had a decent roster at the Roosters but mixed results again. Mind you he bring some roosters with him LOL

Izz

Bench
Smith seems good for a season or 2 at best. Anymore than that and he always seems to bring a club crashing back down to where it was when he started.

ramraider275

Juniors
Smith seems good for a season or 2 at best. Anymore than that and he always seems to bring a club crashing back down to where it was when he started.

I agree, the Roosters board have gone cold on him why? he got them to the GF in 2010 but they are unhappy now, his roster was pretty good last few years, IMO worried he might have that effect on us.

Meth

Staff member
I agree, the Roosters board have gone cold on him why? he got them to the GF in 2010 but they are unhappy now, his roster was pretty good last few years, IMO worried he might have that effect on us.

Performance this year probably. Pearce said he'd go if Smith didn't...

JoeD

First Grade
A lot of folks with real short memories.
You think? Ives is without a doubt the best coach the Wariors have had. Yes he wasn't perfect but who is? The debacle that has been this year only reinforces that.

JJ

Immortal
Have to disagree about Cleary he worked closely with Ackland to develop the juniors for the future ok, it took a few years , but bringing in structures worked IMO I see merit in things cleary tried to do.

We have done the rebuilding in the past, but would smith sign on short or long term??? I've seen Brian smith move around last couple of years since Parramatta and he's had mixed success where he has landed. IMO he had a decent roster at the Roosters but mixed results again. Mind you he bring some roosters with him LOL

Not saying Cleary wasn't good and/or didn't do good things... but wouldn't rate him among the better NRL head coaches...

Smith made a GF with the chooks, and then Carney and alcohol derailed things - they have a lot of pretty impressive young talent, wouldn't surprise if they're well in semi final contention next year...

tbh I am not sure who is the right fit, I imagine someone like Anderson (D or C), or Hasler would get results pretty quickly... I am not sold on Bellamy... we should all remember he has had teams with Slater, Smith, Cronk and Inglis... that same group has some believing Mal Meninga is a good coach

JJ

Immortal
You think? Ives is without a doubt the best coach the Wariors have had. Yes he wasn't perfect but who is? The debacle that has been this year only reinforces that.

You really think he was better than Anderson?

Look at what's going on at Penrith...

I'd say Anderson 1, Clearly 2 - but it's a 2 horse race, I'll admit

vvvrulz

Coach
Look at what's going on at Penrith...

Look at the Penrith player roster.

I'd rate Cleary ahead of Anderson only because of the capitulation of 2004, Cleary is the only Warriors coach who left leaving a legacy behind for the next coach to work off (nice work Bluey).

Meth

Staff member
I was pretty disillusioned with Cleary last year, but nowhere near to the entent I was with Bluey. The club was comically bad this year. It was obvious as early as Round 1 that Bluey was not up to the NRL, and things just got worse every week.

Cleary inherited a mess at Penrith, like next year's Warriors coach will. He also inherited a pretty average roster. I am not sure he's a supercoach, but you can't write him off on account of Penrith's 2012. After all, look at Newcastle.

ramraider275

Juniors

I'd rate Cleary ahead of Anderson only because of the capitulation of 2004, Cleary is the only Warriors coach who left leaving a legacy behind for the next coach to work off (nice work Bluey).

Good point bro but Bluey can't shoulder all the blame when the club dissolves club positions and roster numbers put in place that made cleary's job easier, the Juniors are the best structure in the club that won't need any change as long as Ackland/Bell is around ( Bell has done potive things for the future in idenfiying Juniors for the future,seen it first hand) , IMO.

JJ

Immortal

The Penrith roster isn't bad at all...Grant, McKendry, Kingston, Robinson, Newton, Lewis, Walsh, Coote, Jennings, Tighe, Mansour, Gordon, Simmons... nothing to sneeze at...

But a comparable roster to the Warriors, I'd suggest - with a more talented backline and two players (Luke Lewis and Michael Jennings) far superior to any current Warrior imo...

both clubs are in a mess at the moment... guess I'd sooner have Clearly than a vacancy!!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Sheens could be the right fit. Very experienced and you have a young team.

Would absolutely insist on him giving up the Australian Coach role but, no deal if he wants that too.

D Anderson best Warriors coach IMO.

JoeD

First Grade
Ives is the only coach who hasn't been sacked and achieved on the field to a similar level as Anderson. You could argue he did better than Anderson, without going through player by player I'd say the '02 GF team was stronger than the'11 team.

Latest posts