What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Crowd Watch

pHyR3

Juniors
37,000 @ the SCG tonight makes a mockery of the rectangular codes in sydney.

What we are missing is a culture of attendance primarily. Stadia, infastructure and location are secondary reasons as even were there are perfect conditions conditions for league in places like brisbane they only fill 2/3 of capacity regularly. Perhaps the 3 pronged stadia strategy will help but imo non-attendance is now so ingrained in the fan base that it might be impossible to overcome even in world class facilities. But trying to be optimistic renovated stadiums at parramatta and olympic park should at least put more bums on seats for some clubs

transport will help out a fair bit too. west connex, light rail/carparks for SFS and ANZ.

also looking very forward to a roofed/rectangular ANZ. rains a crap load in sydney so roofing it would help stop those 11k crowds on a rainy monday night

Chook Norris

First Grade
37,000 @ the SCG tonight makes a mockery of the rectangular codes in sydney.

What we are missing is a culture of attendance primarily. Stadia, infastructure and location are secondary reasons as even were there are perfect conditions conditions for league in places like brisbane they only fill 2/3 of capacity regularly. Perhaps the 3 pronged stadia strategy will help but imo non-attendance is now so ingrained in the fan base that it might be impossible to overcome even in world class facilities. But trying to be optimistic renovated stadiums at parramatta and olympic park should at least put more bums on seats for some clubs

This is pretty much it. Theres a difference in culture and involvement of the average NRL/AFL fan.

Was having a discussion at work about NRL and AFL in the office. My coworker noted that when he's been down in our Melbourne office that almost everyone gets into AFL discussion; they also regularly go to games. In Sydney, there is also NRL discussion but it's of a lesser degree, people watch less games, and people are content with watching from home if they do.

IMO, if you were to compare the average NRL fan with the average AFL fan the latter would watch more games and be more in sync with their clubs and other games. The average NRL fan isn't just apathetic about attending, they're also apathetic about the game. And before someone says "but all my friends care a lot about the games and we have discussions all the time!!", I'm talking about the average NRL fan and chances are you are part of a more die hard NRL group.

So yes, IMO a 'better' stadium policy/upgrades won't lift attendances at all. The NRL just needs to push cultural change to attend games and get fans more involved with the NRL. And while their central marketing strategy this year is to push for fans to be there when "history happens" it's not in sync with what's happening in terms of scheduling and pricing.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
This is pretty much it. Theres a difference in culture and involvement of the average NRL/AFL fan.

Was having a discussion at work about NRL and AFL in the office. My coworker noted that when he's been down in our Melbourne office that almost everyone gets into AFL discussion; they also regularly go to games. In Sydney, there is also NRL discussion but it's of a lesser degree, people watch less games, and people are content with watching from home if they do.

IMO, if you were to compare the average NRL fan with the average AFL fan the latter would watch more games and be more in sync with their clubs and other games. The average NRL fan isn't just apathetic about attending, they're also apathetic about the game. And before someone says "but all my friends care a lot about the games and we have discussions all the time!!", I'm talking about the average NRL fan and chances are you are part of a more die hard NRL group.

So yes, IMO a 'better' stadium policy/upgrades won't lift attendances at all. The NRL just needs to push cultural change to attend games and get fans more involved with the NRL. And while their central marketing strategy this year is to push for fan to be there when "history happens" it's not in sync with what's happening in terms of scheduling and pricing.

Exactly the nrl have done nothing to encourage attendance and have made changes that have had the opposite effect. Things like scheduling are so fan unfriendly its not funny and its only going to het worst next year. Look at the typical afl round they have 5 games on a saturday starting from 1.30pm up to 7 30pm, while rounds are spread across 5 days at the moment its very hard to build any momentum in the season because it hust seems continuous. We need 1 game in thursday and friday, 4 on saturday and 2 on sunday to stand a chance.

PJ

First Grade
In Sydney, there is also NRL discussion but it's of a lesser degree, people watch less games, and people are content with watching from home if they do.

I agree, but it didn't used to be this way.

I visit a lot of customers, and in the 90's we always had at least a brief chat about RL and knew who who everyone's team was. Would regularly arrange nights out to games.

Now there is barely a mention of it at all and it has been years since a customer has wanted to go to a RL game. Still do the same level of corporate entertainment but footy is no longer part of it.

Melbourne is very different. You walk into any office and you can see who about 80-90% of the people support by paraphernalia around the desk.

Personally I think it could get worse. Out of my social group the ones who want to go to games now as adults are the ones who went reasonably often as kids. There don't seem to be as many kids going to games and imo don't generate the same connection to their team.

beave

Coach
Like I said earlier, wait til this Friday 6pm gets a run next year if you want to see some poor crowds.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I agree, but it didn't used to be this way.

I visit a lot of customers, and in the 90's we always had at least a brief chat about RL and knew who who everyone's team was. Would regularly arrange nights out to games.

Now there is barely a mention of it at all and it has been years since a customer has wanted to go to a RL game. Still do the same level of corporate entertainment but footy is no longer part of it.

Melbourne is very different. You walk into any office and you can see who about 80-90% of the people support by paraphernalia around the desk.

Personally I think it could get worse. Out of my social group the ones who want to go to games now as adults are the ones who went reasonably often as kids. There don't seem to be as many kids going to games and imo don't generate the same connection to their team.

I get what you are saying but i think crowds now are higher than the 90's which many regard as the golden age pre super league. Are your customers moving to other sports for coprorate entertainment or is it moving away from aport in general?

PJ

First Grade
Couple go to Swans.

Cricket in summer is about the same as ever. Bigger in Ashes years.

Just nowhere near the interest in RL, going or discussing.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Couple go to Swans.

Cricket in summer is about the same as ever. Bigger in Ashes years.

Just nowhere near the interest in RL, going or discussing.

The Swans Gnats derby got less than 50,000 watching on FTA so you must be unlucky to have a couple of Swans fans working with you as interest in AFL just doesn't seem to be there in Sydney apart from expats & the yuppies who love the media death riding of rugby league in general. The redeveloped ANZ will bring a whole new culture of rugby league attending fans.

Ive met & spoken to so many who hate ANZ with a passion and would attend more if it were a suitable stadium. Currently its light years from that. For an AFL venue the SCG couldn't be any better for its fans.

I'd even go to say if the Roosters had to play at a redeveloped ANZ for a season or two they may never go back to a refurbished/new Allianz. Their support base out West is bigger than people realise, similar to what South's realised. Just too bad ANZ is not servicing them to what they want.

Burns

First Grade
Those seats never sell, that and the suns out. There are heaps up in the walkways waiting for the game to start. The hills look pretty full though.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Never doubt Newcastle folks must be one f the most rusted on fan bases in the NRL. Could be around 20k but the sun makes it hard to judge

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Thats fair, looks good!

I remember my first day game at Suncorp, I got all excited and booked sideline seats on the eastern stand. Your username described my face.