What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rationalisation of Sydney

Stallion

First Grade
Their average attendances don't support your claim. In their 91 year existence in the top flight they only averaged over 15k twice and that was in their best run of success outside of the 1921 & 1922 premierships: 1991 and 1994. Other than these two years their average hovered bewteen 5k - 12k. Not numbers that back up your claim and certainly not numbers that warrant granting them an NRL licence.

You also haven't answered my question as to why the Bears aren't doing anything for the game in the second teir since Newtown and the Shute Shield have shown it is possible.

Your understanding of support is very poor. Support can be given in various ways. It can be very visible like the South Sydney protests or more discreet as with the withdrawal of interest and support of the code in the northern Sydney area. This is just as an important form of support than the protests of South Sydney. A different demographic supports the Bears. They are people from the high flying business world and higher socioeconomic world within northern Sydney. South Sydney used mass pro tests. North Sydney fans have rejected following the code. But these people would welcome a Central Coast Bears. An absolute license to print money and strengthen the code north of the Harbour bridge in one swoop!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Their average attendances don't support your claim. In their 91 year existence in the top flight they only averaged over 15k twice and that was in their best run of success outside of the 1921 & 1922 premierships: 1991 and 1994. Other than these two years their average hovered bewteen 5k - 12k. Not numbers that back up your claim and certainly not numbers that warrant granting them an NRL licence.

You also haven't answered my question as to why the Bears aren't doing anything for the game in the second teir since Newtown and the Shute Shield have shown it is possible.

Bears were never a greatly supported club and the game hasnt missed them. I have my doubts Gosford could sustain a NRL club that is now required to generate around $15-17million a years and Bears LC isnt big enough to fill the gap from what I've seen.

Stallion

First Grade
Bears were never a greatly supported club and the game hasnt missed them. I have my doubts Gosford could sustain a NRL club that is now required to generate around $15-17million a years and Bears LC isnt big enough to fill the gap from what I've seen.

Wrong! Both northern Sydney and Central Coast would be part of the Central Coast Bears. Plus the many Bears fans (still alive believe it or not ) around the nation. The myth that this club is not well supported is a myth. Their support is different from that of a South Sydney club but nevertheless it's still.support and matters for the codes relevance north of Sydney Harbour.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Your understanding of support is very poor. Support can be given in various ways. It can be very visible like the South Sydney protests or more discreet as with the withdrawal of interest and support of the code in the northern Sydney area. This is just as an important form of support than the protests of South Sydney. A different demographic supports the Bears. They are people from the high flying business world and higher socioeconomic world within northern Sydney. South Sydney used mass pro tests. North Sydney fans have rejected following the code. But these people would welcome a Central Coast Bears. An absolute license to print money and strengthen the code north of the Harbour bridge in one swoop!

What use are fans to Norths if they didn't attend games in high numbers when they were still in the top flight - essentially providing financial support for their club?

Why weren't these corporates that are supposedly ready to jump on board there when the team needed financial saving in 1998 / 1999?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Wrong! Both northern Sydney and Central Coast would be part of the Central Coast Bears. Plus the many Bears fans (still alive believe it or not ) around the nation. The myth that this club is not well supported is a myth. Their support is different from that of a South Sydney club but nevertheless it's still.support and matters for the codes relevance north of Sydney Harbour.

A myth is a myth - lol

If they are so well supported then why were their average attendances in just about every season of their existence so low?

And I'll ask you for the 27th time, why aren't they attracting this ''massive'' fan base to their games now?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I've addressed your figures! Are you addressing the truths I have told you!? Ps; You haven't answered the question of whether you have played rugby league or not? A zero response suggests you haven't played this code, given your reckless regard for the code and its foundations. Mind you other noted footballers have shown poor understanding on what actually makes this unique top flight rugby league competition tick.

Yes I've played the game but that in no way qualifies me more than anyone else to comment on these issues.

BTW you haven't addressed anything. I'll post it again for you and wait for your reply:
  • 1999 was the last season that the Bears competed in the NRL - the league average attendance was 13,937
  • 2000 when the bears were removed the league average increased to 14,366 climing to an eventual peak of 16,423 in 2012
The average league attendance increased when the Bears left the NRL as a stand-alone club.

SL season average: 12,347
ARL season average: 9,915

Here are the top drawing clubs of 1997:
  • Brisbane 19,298 - SL
  • North QLD 17,539 - SL
  • Parramatta: 15,647 - ARL
  • NZ Warriors: 15,442 - SL
  • Adelaide: 15,330 - SL
The larger expansion clubs are the drivers of the game and some (not all) large Sydney clubs.

Stallion

First Grade
A myth is a myth - lol

If they are so well supported then why were their average attendances in just about every season of their existence so low?

And I'll ask you for the 27th time, why aren't they attracting this ''massive'' fan base to their games now?

Wow. How dumb ? You honestly think fans take note of a 2nd string competition after having their club part of a long existing top flight competition . I'm sure I'm discoursing with a simpleton! Gee wiz. I've some dumb contributors and you are right up there with the dumbest!

Stallion

First Grade
Yes I've played the game but that in no way qualifies me more than anyone else to comment on these issues.

BTW you haven't addressed anything. I'll post it again for you and wait for your reply:
  • 1999 was the last season that the Bears competed in the NRL - the league average attendance was 13,937
  • 2000 when the bears were removed the league average increased to 14,366 climing to an eventual peak of 16,423 in 2012
The average league attendance increased when the Bears left the NRL as a stand-alone club.

SL season average: 12,347
ARL season average: 9,915

Here are the top drawing clubs of 1997:
  • Brisbane 19,298 - SL
  • North QLD 17,539 - SL
  • Parramatta: 15,647 - ARL
  • NZ Warriors: 15,442 - SL
  • Adelaide: 15,330 - SL
The larger expansion clubs are the drivers of the game and some (not all) large Sydney clubs.

You still don't get it do you! ? You are ignoring the massive fanbase support of the Sydney clubs that exists all.over Australia and elsewhere. This support just doesn't happen! It is earnt over years of exposure in a highly regarded top flight competition. How dumb!

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
You still don't get it do you! ? You are ignoring the massive fanbase support of the Sydney clubs that exists all.over Australia and elsewhere. This support just doesn't happen! It is earnt over years of exposure in a highly regarded top flight competition. How dumb!

Definitely not dumb just differing opinions. This massive fan base you talk about around Australia already has a choice of 9 teams in and around Sydney. How can that not be enough teams.... You honestly don’t think your being completely selfish?

Stallion

First Grade
Definitely not dumb just differing opinions. This massive fan base you talk about around Australia already has a choice of 9 teams in and around Sydney. How can that not be enough teams.... You honestly don’t think your being completely selfish?

Absolutely not. There exists a population number that can easily support 9 top flight clubs from the Illawarra through all of Sydney to the Central coast. The axing and merging of Sydney clubs has diluted the games relevance and rivalries in Australias most populated regions. This is a mistake. All for external expansion clubs but consolidation and reinvigorating lost supporters is a good thing too!

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Absolutely not. There exists a population number that can easily support 9 top flight clubs from the Illawarra through all of Sydney to the Central coast. The axing and merging of Sydney clubs has diluted the games relevance and rivalries in Australias most populated regions. This is a mistake. All for external expansion clubs but consolidation and reinvigorating lost supporters is a good thing too!

Funny you say that axing Sydney’s clubs has diluted the games relevance. I’ll let you re-read what you just wrote so you can absorb the stupidity of the comment. As you say, consolidation and reinvigorating lost supporters can be done by giving clubs areas/boundaries to nurture and support. Not by wasting a expansion spot that the roosters are already supporting.

Do you honestly believe that if the nswrl refused to accept new clubs from outside nsw like NZ, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, cowboys that they would be better off today? You are completely off chops if you think that. Expanding has kept Sydney teams relevant and some only just. Otherwise they would be in the nsw cup and the arl would of lost control and we would be talking about our current super league teams.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Wow. How dumb ? You honestly think fans take note of a 2nd string competition after having their club part of a long existing top flight competition . I'm sure I'm discoursing with a simpleton! Gee wiz. I've some dumb contributors and you are right up there with the dumbest!

Yes. And that is not just my opinion. Newtown and the Northern Sydney Shute Shield clubs are evidence that this is possible. Why aren't Norths doing this?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

The crowd figures that I showed you don't back up your argument. How do you explain the discrepancy in the figures (Sydney clubs drawing much lower on average than the expansion clubs) if the Sydney fanbases are so much bigger?

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I have a mate who is a proud, membership holding Parra supporter. Goes to every game that he can, watches on tv and listens on the radio when he can't get to a game, has multiple jerseys, and gets his membership every year. However, it surprised me to find out that he was a Bears supporter back in the day and grew up with them as a kid.

Moral of the story is that things die and people move on. You can spend your life being bitter and twisted about what was and never let go of the past, or you can still support and enjoy THE GAME that you love.

The NRL isn't Game of Thrones and there aren't as many people as you think sitting in the dark, sharing secret toasts and waving Bears banners as you allude to, Stallion. Those who genuinely can't live without the Bears probably no longer follow the game and those that truly love the game have moved to other teams. The rest are a generation that are growing up having never even seen the bears play.

Stallion

First Grade
@Stallion Lucky you weren’t in control of the arl when super league came knocking. You would of probably brought newtown, Cumberland, Glebe all back instead.

Nope. But I certainly would not have went for 14 teams. Should have stayed at twenty. The Mariners and Adelaide franchises to Melbourne Storm. And then further expansion from there. Instead the idiots carved up generationally recognized clubs Australia wide and set the code backwards 20 plus years!

Stallion

First Grade
The crowd figures that I showed you don't back up your argument. How do you explain the discrepancy in the figures (Sydney clubs drawing much lower on average than the expansion clubs) if the Sydney fanbases are so much bigger?

You still don't get it do you? The support of the Bears is more than just a packed North Sydney oval. It's both cultural and rivalry based with generational relevance. Something you don't count which means a lot going forward. Mark my words: THE CENTRAL COAST BEARS WOULD BE A LICENCE TO PRINT MONEY AND STRENGTHEN THE CODE IN SYDNEY AND THE CENTRAL COAST!

Suitman

Post Whore
You still don't get it do you? The support of the Bears is more than just a packed North Sydney oval. It's both cultural and rivalry based with generational relevance. Something you don't count which means a lot going forward. Mark my words: THE CENTRAL COAST BEARS WOULD BE A LICENCE TO PRINT MONEY AND STRENGTHEN THE CODE IN SYDNEY AND THE CENTRAL COAST!

You've had weeks of chances to answer @titoelcolombiano 's questions, and you have done nothing of the sort.
Just keep banging on mate. It's getting you no where but I'm sure it's making you feel good.

greenBV4

Bench
By the time the NRL gets their shit together to be able to expand there won't be many Norths fans left.. no one in their teens today (the future supporters/market of the game) would of even been alive to remember the Bears in the top flight and wouldn't give 2 shits about whether they came back or not

If the bears are still desperate for for a team in the NRL they should be focussing on other more likely cities. If they, for example, went all out on Adelaide and even went as far as entering the "Adelaide Bears" into the NSW cup (or u18s or whatever), they'd be pretty good odds at being one of the favourites when expansion comes around, much like the Pirates are now.

The best bet for the CC getting a team is a larger share of Roosters games or a relocated Sydney team.

Latest posts