What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 2 final v Storm

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
They would blow the ass end off them.
In the wet it becomes far more even.
And why are people saying their big pack. We have a bigger side across the park. We can over power them.
Bottom 4 teams often beat top 4 teams and I doubt you could find any correlation that demonstrates that wet weather is a significant factor. If you can, I am happy to concede that you have a point.

Eelogical

Referee
I've seen bottom 4 sides look as good as top 4 sides in the wet. It becomes a much more even contest. Yes we belted the Broncos. They where hopeless. I would prefer to judge our form over the last month or two rather then that one game.
When we got flogged by the Storm in Rnd 9 the headlines were 'ruthless Storm put Eels to the sword'. Yet, when we beat the Broncos last weekend all you can say is that the Broncos were hopeless. In both cases, it was one team at their best playing a team at their worst.

Djay

Juniors
All year we have been a confidence team. Willing to back ourselves when we a playing with confidence to pull off the expansive plays successfully.

In his behind the scenes thing, BA made mention to the team that they need to trust themselves and that no one else plays our style of footy.

I am picking us to play our game, our way, despite the weather... the Parra way got us to 5th after 25 rounds. It got us past Manly in round 25 quite convincingly, it got us past Brisbane so dramatically. If it gets us past Melbourne whoohoo. If it doesnt, a change to how we have played all year wouldn't have either.

Go Parraball!!
100%

If we go down there and get into the grind and try to out grind Melbourne we are not going to win, if we go down there and move the ball around, change the point of attack, offload and move Melbourne around and be ad-lib as well as play with confidence then I think we are in with a huge chance. If we can get some early ball out wide our backs will carve up.

Djay

Juniors
The Broncos were poor - but the way we played help to facilitate that.

Every time they ran the ball, we smashed them.

Every kick they put in was made under extreme pressure.

The Broncos were shit - but that does not denigrate how white-hot we were.

We would have beaten anyone that day.
It hasn't been mentioned anywhere in the media about how good our intensity in defence was, and when we were hitting we were f**king hitting. I just think everything we did we did it with 110% effort, it was one of the most complete Parra performances in over a decade.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
100%

If we go down there and get into the grind and try to out grind Melbourne we are not going to win, if we go down there and move the ball around, change the point of attack, offload and move Melbourne around and be ad-lib as well as play with confidence then I think we are in with a huge chance. If we can get some early ball out wide our backs will carve up.
When Arthurz first got hold of us he tried to turn is into a ruthless grinding Melbourne style team and it was a f**king disaster.

Thank f**k he woke up to his senses, even if @hindy111 hasn't.

Eelogical

Referee
Bottom 4 teams often beat top 4 teams and I doubt you could find any correlation that demonstrates that wet weather is a significant factor. If you can, I am happy to concede that you have a point.
I think the general concensus is that for us to beat the Storm in Melbourne we need to play an expansive game, and the weather conditions will contribute to how we go about that. If it's wet and becomes a slugfest then it will suit the Storm. If it's a decent track then we're going to go wide and back ourselves. Lucky it's not being played in Sydney today, eh?

Suitman

Post Whore
Saturday 21 September
Summary
showers.png

Min 9
Max 17
Showers.
Possible rainfall: 4 to 10 mm
Chance of any rain: 90%
rain_90.gif

Melbourne area
Cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. Winds west to northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h tending west to southwesterly during the morning then tending west to northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h during the day.

strider

Post Whore
Everyone craps on about how Canberra have melbournes measure .... FFS they were a couple of minutes from losing to em. An uncharacteristic melbourne mistake was the only reason they won

Gronk

Staff member
Saturday 21 September
Summary
showers.png

Min 9
Max 17
Showers.
Possible rainfall: 4 to 10 mm
Chance of any rain: 90%
rain_90.gif

Melbourne area
Cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. Winds west to northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h tending west to southwesterly during the morning then tending west to northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h during the day.

It was raining when we beat DCE's mob. We can beat 'em in the wet !
ok

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How do you figure, Pou?

Wet weather tends to force teams into playing more conservative football, for fear of turning the ball over.
Right, and the best teams are usually better suited to expansive footy, which is why shit teams usually stick with one-out-shit-up-the-middle. Melbourne might have better forwards than us but it was their backs who ran riot in Brisbane earlier in the year. In wet weather they wouldn't have had it so easy.

Obviously neither will we, but we're the special case of the underdog being better at using the ball. In general the team who is best at expansive footy is also the favourite. In Melbourne's case they're good at both styles of play, but our wingers are dangerous through the middle as well.

Suitman

Post Whore
It was raining when we beat DCE's mob. We can beat 'em in the wet !
ok

Agreed.

Anyway, updated forecast.....

Saturday 21 September
Summary
rain.png

Min 11
Max 17
Morning rain then showers.
Possible rainfall: 2 to 8 mm
Chance of any rain: 80%
rain_80.gif

Melbourne area
Cloudy. High (80%) chance of rain, most likely during the morning and afternoon. Showers to follow. Winds west to southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'm not surprised. A fast and expansive game is going to benefit us. That's how we play!

I don't think the Canberra comparison is relevant. We are a much different team and are unlikely to win in the same way that Canberra did.

I give up.