What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanagan Confirmed.

TruSaint

Referee
Dragons announce further coaching staff appointments
Author
Dragons.com.audragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 27 Nov 2019, 10:51 AM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra have announced Shane Flanagan will join the Dragons' coaching staff in 2020 as an NRL assistant coach.

The Dragons exercised due diligence throughout the lengthy appointment process of Flanagan in consideration of his 2018 NRL coaching deregistration.

The former premiership-winning Sharks mentor will join the Red V on a one-year deal. The NRL have informed the Dragons that Flanagan can commence his role with the club in late-December.

"Shane will be a valuable asset to the Dragons' endeavours in 2020. His success has been proven time and time again over many years and we're glad to have him on board," coach Paul McGregor said.

The club are pleased to also confirm that Mathew Head will return as the Dragons' Canterbury Cup NSW coach in 2020.

URL LINK: https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/11/27/dragons-announce-further-coaching-staff-appointments/

Last edited by a moderator:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The club are pleased to also confirm that Mathew Head will return as the Dragons' Canterbury Cup NSW coach in 2020.

Pretty sure there was only one report that Head was likely to be sacked and that came from Andrew Webster.

It already seems decided, though, that assistant coaches Ben Hornby and Mathew Head will be sacked...
6 September 2019
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/in...ans-tell-me-to-sack-mary-20190906-p52oj8.html

Just shows the importance of not investing too much into these reports.

watatank

Coach

Pretty sure there was only one report that Head was likely to be sacked and that came from Andrew Webster.

It already seems decided, though, that assistant coaches Ben Hornby and Mathew Head will be sacked...
6 September 2019

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/in...ans-tell-me-to-sack-mary-20190906-p52oj8.html

Just shows the importance of not investing too much into these reports.

He was sacked from his role as "NRL transition coach"

He's just the NSW Cup coach now

Willow

Assistant Moderator
He was sacked from his role as "NRL transition coach"

He's just the NSW Cup coach now
OK, fair enough. Thanks for that. But where in any report does it say that? Bit light on detail perhaps.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Head is still there.

Just as an aside, has anyone been keeping count on how many assistant coaches we have gone through in recent years?

watatank

Coach
OK, fair enough. Thanks for that. But where in any report does it say that? Bit light on detail perhaps.

Just as an aside, has anyone been keeping count on how many assistant coaches we have gone through in recent years?

Someone on JA is keeping track of all the staff appointments over the years.

I was just taking the piss btw. I remember that in one of these football staff announcements Head used to have a fancy title that included "NRL transition coach" when he was pretty much just the NSW Cup coach.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Someone on JA is keeping track of all the staff appointments over the years.

I was just taking the piss btw. I remember that in one of these football staff announcements Head used to have a fancy title that included "NRL transition coach" when he was pretty much just the NSW Cup coach.
Haha. I'm a bit slow on the uptake today. Probably need another coffee... or something stronger.

I even bloody thought "WTF is that?" There's always something charming about having a Claytons job title.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
At least the appointment of these two coaches is based on strong results not a winning ratio for 2019 of 3 matches in every ten by wonder coach Mc Gregor.

BLM01

First Grade

Willow...light on detail. You are talking about the St George Illawarra secret media here. Nothing escapes their cone of silence except.........major stuff

Latest posts