What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Peter Quinn

Juniors
Rabbs money talks, i hope he stays loyal as well
Have you heard what Souths fans done to Crichton when he went to roosters? He is abused in public, spat at , ridiculed on Social Media etc, etc. I'm pretty sure Can won't go to roosters. He lives in the South Sydney district. And I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I thought what happened to Crichton was way over the top. Sure, it was treason but personal life should be separated from footy.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I guess at the start of 2019 when we look back it was unknown as to how Knight and Tatola would go. We didn’t know Turner would step up and do a fine job at centre either.

I think we will see a couple of the boys step up again in the forwards for 2020, Amone and Sironen are hungry for more opportunities and Su’a will have zero excuses with a full pre season with us.

Our depth is an issue though as we know.

It’s not ideal mate losing 800 games of forward leadership and experience but I think it may not be quite as bad as you feel it is.

Probs not at this stage especially if we have a couple of injuries in the pack as well as origin.

Sorry mate which Intrust Super Cup forward was that? Did I miss something?

I have heard no word on that signing. All I’ve heard is we could have Mago and he definitely wasn’t in the best Intrust Super Cup team of the 2019 season.
Turner didn't surprise me at all. He's played there before and he fitted the Bennett playbook of putting a second rower at centre to stiffen our defence eg Toni Carroll, Beau Scott. He's also a veteran first grader.

I'm surprised we got rid of him.

I take it we don't have a back up hooker either.

You'll be lucky to get a regular first grade second rower out of Su'a, Sironen, Amone, Johns and that other guy who's been to 3/4 clubs.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
Turner didn't surprise me at all. He's played there before and he fitted the Bennett playbook of putting a second rower at centre to stiffen our defence eg Toni Carroll, Beau Scott. He's also a veteran first grader.

You'll be lucky to get a regular first grade second rower out of Su'a, Sironen, Amone, Johns and that other guy who's been to 3/4 clubs.
Isn't young Joshua Cook a hooker?

Mr Spock!

Referee
That's very true. But with most of our young forwards coming through, they've been playing next level down for a few years now. There is only one way to see if they are ready and that's play them. Bellamy does it down south all the time and has done for years. And I consider Bennett a better coach and he's been doing it for thirty years.
It's a huge step up from nsw cup which most players can't make. See also Corey Allen tearing up the BRL.

Unfortunately for Bennett he can't magically take money off our cap when we have wingers hogging 1.5 million of it.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Have you heard what Souths fans done to Crichton when he went to roosters? He is abused in public, spat at , ridiculed on Social Media etc, etc. I'm pretty sure Can won't go to roosters. He lives in the South Sydney district. And I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I thought what happened to Crichton was way over the top. Sure, it was treason but personal life should be separated from footy.
Yeah because fans wouldn't change jobs for a pay rise.

Mr Spock!

Referee
So if all available round 1 pack with interchange could be

8 Turgess
9 Cook
10 Tatola
11 Knight
12 Sua
13 Murray

Interchange
14 Nicholls
15 Sironen
16 Amone
17 Johns

The total nrl games of 3 of those interchange players is about 10.

Knight might be interchange prop which would mean one of the ic starts.

That's an incredibly weak bench.

Travitoh

First Grade

8 Turgess
9 Cook
10 Tatola
11 Knight
12 Sua
13 Murray

Interchange
14 Nicholls
15 Sironen
16 Amone
17 Johns

Ethan Lowe?

Rabbits20

Immortal
View attachment 35036 The South Sydney Gun Player. He might go off. :joy: I
They can have that figurine version of him Pete but not the real thing, I’m sure that is what you meant?:)
It’s not just the roosters that would be chasing Murray, all 15 clubs would be after him. In fact any club that isn’t should probably rethink their recruitment strategy. He is going to be a one of the best and one of those few players who are actually worth forking out a lot of money for.
I am confident he will be a Bunny for life bro! He’s South Sydney through and through and will be our Captain in 2-3 years.
I'd rather him than Alex Johnston or Dane Gagai get traded.
I disagree on this one Pete, Doueihi is more versatile, really he can play and fill in at fullback, centre, halves, hooker and second row, AJ or Gags can’t do that and they cost more, we imo need to re-sign Douiehi and give him a bit of a pay rise and get him to settle in a position he’s comfortable with. Gagai is a top notch winger and can fill in at centre but his defence is dodgy and he’s hot and cold. I think AJ is the one we have to let go, I just think personally in my view that Gagai offers just a bit more than what AJ does. Latrell for AJ, yes please! AJ also thinks he’s a fullback and he’s not imo. Douiehi is gonna be a fine fine player in future too, he’s one we can’t lose.
we gave Angus a massive chance that Easts didn’t, then after we helped him and treated him well he threw it back and spat in our faces, I can understand why many were upset about that including me, but yes give a piece of your mind but leave it at that!

I’m surprised we let Turner go too when we have not much depth at all for second rowers.

We have young Josh Cook mate he’s 20yrs old I believe and is ready to step up to CC this year.

Su’a is the one most likely to step up, but he’s gonna have to improve a lot defensively on what I’ve seen. Sironen could surprise us, apparently he’s training the house down and can ball play too. I haven’t seen much of Johns so can’t comment.

Amone was very good coming through the junior at Parramatta I think it was, then he went to Manly and killed it in CC, then he’s come to us just last season, on what I’ve seen off him he’s got a motor on him and is strong, he just needs to get his fitness up and I reckon we’ve a handy prop here off the bench.

Yeah Mago doesn’t fill me with much confidence on what I’ve seen.

Rabbits20

Immortal

8 Turgess
9 Cook
10 Tatola
11 Knight
12 Sua
13 Murray

Interchange
14 Nicholls
15 Sironen
16 Amone
17 Johns

8. Tom
9. Cook
10. Knight
11. Su’a
12. Lowe
13. Murray

Interchange
14. Tatola
15. Nicholls
16. Sironen
17. Amone

If Arrow comes for 2020 that will change a bit depending on where Wayne wants to play Arrow.

After the bench I’ve named it seems we just have Dillon, Rodwell, Koloamatangi and possibly Mago, so if we get a few injuries we could be in some real trouble. Jack Johns is on a development contract and therefore can’t play first grade til July unless we have an injury crisis!

Really we need to do all we can to get Arrow here early.

Jai Arrow will be playing at Souths in 2020
That’s gonna be awesome if true mate, so I guess it’s just a matter of what we give the Titans in return?

What position do you think Arrow will play for us?

Also anymore word re Latrell?

Peter Quinn

Juniors
Are you pissed Quinny?,Dewey is one of our best young guns and you want to keep AJ?
FMD AJ is going through the motions to get his pay check.
Gags is full of errors but does get stuck in.
What next trade Murray for MIA Mitchell?
I can understand what your saying. Alex Johnston is a try scoring machine on the wing. Dane Gagai maybe can't handle big guys too well in defence, but he sure knows his way to the line. Dourhie, is just recently promoted from reserves or bench because of injuries. I don't see first grade in him. But, you may be able to and that's fine. He's not a fullbacks boot laces, he can't handle wing and went OK in centres filling in before he done his knee in that Melbourne game at anz 2018. Add it all up and it's not fair pushing AJ out the door who's a Souths Junior and been with us for five years. Gagai, like I said at least deserves a stay of execution until his contract expires. And there's NO WAY I'd trade Murray for anyone. If he goes, it will be his own decision not mine. I don't believe he will go anyway. As for piss Clive, I don't drink. Do you?

Rabbits20

Immortal
I can understand what your saying. Alex Johnston is a try scoring machine on the wing. Dane Gagai maybe can't handle big guys too well in defence, but he sure knows his way to the line. Dourhie, is just recently promoted from reserves or bench because of injuries. I don't see first grade in him. But, you may be able to and that's fine. He's not a fullbacks boot laces, he can't handle wing and went OK in centres filling in before he done his knee in that Melbourne game at anz 2018. Add it all up and it's not fair pushing AJ out the door who's a Souths Junior and been with us for five years. Gagai, like I said at least deserves a stay of execution until his contract expires. And there's NO WAY I'd trade Murray for anyone. If he goes, it will be his own decision not mine. I don't believe he will go anyway. As for piss Clive, I don't drink. Do you?
I’m sure we’ve told AJ we would be happy to keep him on the wing, the problem is Pete from what I can gather and from what I’ve read AJ believes he’s a fullback, there in lies our problem, especially if AJ wants to pursue that elsewhere we shouldn’t stop him, but he’s had so many games at fullback and the reality is he hasn’t nailed down that position and put his stamp on it imo, he’s been solid Pete but like you said the other day we wanna make Grand Finals and not fall short, by all means if we wanna full short again persist with AJ at the back but we will get the same result imo. AJ is not a fullbacks boot laces and for Douiehi a guy who had never played fullback before he went better than I thought and offered more than AJ did and Douiehi played with a very good energy, he wouldn’t shirk the tough stuff and he got down and dirty which is what the good fullbacks do. Ideally for mine we get Latrell and have Douiehi to go back to fullback if things don’t work out with Latrell or if Latrell gets injured.

Also Douiehi imo wasn’t promoted due to injuries, I remember Wayne said to Douiehi when you’re fit I’ll always have a spot for you in the 17 he assured Douiehi, now I trust Wayne on that and he must see something in Douiehi. I’m sure a team like the Roosters would love Douiehi and no way we should give them what they want imo.

I see where you’re coming from though Pete in that AJ was with us when he broke through into first grade and later that year when we won the GF in 2014 and yes he’s a Souths junior so it would be sad to see him go. But it seems AJ wants to play fullback and isn’t content playing out rest of his career on the wing and becoming Souths highest tryscorer ever, seems he’s not content to do that, I’m sure we are happy with that, but we can’t stop him from his dreams and what he wants, maybe when he goes elsewhere and they see he’s not the answer at fullback, then he would have to settle for staying on the wing there and then I bet he wished he’d have stayed with us!

The only position I’ve seen Douiehi not be able to play so far is wing, he has played his best at fullback imo and he will get better if needed at centre and half or even back row I reckon. We need to remember Douiehi has come off that long ACL injury so he’s only showed glimpses of what he can do in 2019, and from what I’ve seen I’m bloody excited for his future! When Reyno retires Douiehi could very well then shift to the halves quite possibly. Imo though in a few years he’s gonna be the perfect second rower like Sutto and get some ball playing into him, bulk him up more for his defence workload and boy I am even more excited!

Go Bunnies

Juniors
It's a huge step up from nsw cup which most players can't make. See also Corey Allen tearing up the BRL.

Unfortunately for Bennett he can't magically take money off our cap when we have wingers hogging 1.5 million of it.
Where does the 1.5 million come from?
Johnston $350k Gagai$600-700k - not sure where you are getting your figures

Peter Quinn

Juniors
I’m sure we’ve told AJ we would be happy to keep him on the wing, the problem is Pete from what I can gather and from what I’ve read AJ believes he’s a fullback, there in lies our problem, especially if AJ wants to pursue that elsewhere we shouldn’t stop him, but he’s had so many games at fullback and the reality is he hasn’t nailed down that position and put his stamp on it imo, he’s been solid Pete but like you said the other day we wanna make Grand Finals and not fall short, by all means if we wanna full short again persist with AJ at the back but we will get the same result imo. AJ is not a fullbacks boot laces and for Douiehi a guy who had never played fullback before he went better than I thought and offered more than AJ did and Douiehi played with a very good energy, he wouldn’t shirk the tough stuff and he got down and dirty which is what the good fullbacks do. Ideally for mine we get Latrell and have Douiehi to go back to fullback if things don’t work out with Latrell or if Latrell gets injured.

Also Douiehi imo wasn’t promoted due to injuries, I remember Wayne said to Douiehi when you’re fit I’ll always have a spot for you in the 17 he assured Douiehi, now I trust Wayne on that and he must see something in Douiehi. I’m sure a team like the Roosters would love Douiehi and no way we should give them what they want imo.

I see where you’re coming from though Pete in that AJ was with us when he broke through into first grade and later that year when we won the GF in 2014 and yes he’s a Souths junior so it would be sad to see him go. But it seems AJ wants to play fullback and isn’t content playing out rest of his career on the wing and becoming Souths highest tryscorer ever, seems he’s not content to do that, I’m sure we are happy with that, but we can’t stop him from his dreams and what he wants, maybe when he goes elsewhere and they see he’s not the answer at fullback, then he would have to settle for staying on the wing there and then I bet he wished he’d have stayed with us!

The only position I’ve seen Douiehi not be able to play so far is wing, he has played his best at fullback imo and he will get better if needed at centre and half or even back row I reckon. We need to remember Douiehi has come off that long ACL injury so he’s only showed glimpses of what he can do in 2019, and from what I’ve seen I’m bloody excited for his future! When Reyno retires Douiehi could very well then shift to the halves quite possibly. Imo though in a few years he’s gonna be the perfect second rower like Sutto and get some ball playing into him, bulk him up more for his defence workload and boy I am even more excited!
If AJ and DG put their hand up to go because they want fullback and centre, then I'm sure no one would begrudge them of that chance. But when it comes down to getting pushed out, Doueihi is your man.