What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scomo saving me

Generalzod

Immortal
Sydney’s biggest toll operator will not freeze price increases during the coronavirus pandemic, arguing the revenue is funding projects that are keeping people employed during the crisis.

Prices on a handful of Sydney toll roads are set to increase from Wednesday, prompting calls from the NSW opposition for a stay on the indexed mark-up amid the economic downturn.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ce-increases-amid-crisis-20200331-p54fmm.html

This is one reason why we need roads back in public hands f**king vultures

Quicksilver

Bench
Not true.

They agreed about the stimulus but not the policy or the implementation.

Most could see the waste and stupidity in so many projects.

It could’ve been executed so much better.

so they chose to squabble rather than fall in line behind the leader at a time of urgency.

interesting.

Sydney’s biggest toll operator will not freeze price increases during the coronavirus pandemic, arguing the revenue is funding projects that are keeping people employed during the crisis.

Prices on a handful of Sydney toll roads are set to increase from Wednesday, prompting calls from the NSW opposition for a stay on the indexed mark-up amid the economic downturn.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ce-increases-amid-crisis-20200331-p54fmm.html

This is one reason why we need roads back in public hands f**king vultures
And yet yesterday I drove past three of the sites that are getting built for the new toll roads, and guess what? There was absolutely no distancing going on at all three of them.
I'd be shocked if building sites aren't closed by Sunday coming. I've heard that Bunnings is about to close shop, they'd only do that if they knew what was coming.

taipan

Referee
Financial experts for whose interest though? Banks? Taxpayers? workers? The homeless? Big business? Small business? Doctors? Taxi drivers? Uber drivers? The guy that sells hotdogs outside the SFS?

That's quite myopic considering they are pulling some blunt policy levers which have the potential to benefit or hinder a variety of different groups with very different needs.

If some small business guy wants to get on twitter and say that it's going to f**k him up/ or miss him in some specific way then I'm happy to hear it.

This is a huge package and it's healthy to consider the broad array of potential consequences.

Financial experts within Treasury ,and outside .I'd suggest they have concerns about Australia's and their future.
Judging by the financial package they are covering just about everyone.If that's myopic, your'e living on a different planet.

Guess what it "ain't a perfect society, there will be no doubt the odd person who misses out.But the jobseeker and job keeper stimulus should cover everyone.Judging by comments of small business owners at random, they seem to be well behind the Govt decision.

Seeing the corona virus situation never happened before nor its implications, no one knows the final implications, health wise and economy wise.The thing changes from day to day.

It's the NOW that is the pressing issue, saving lives and jobs, what happens down the line(consequences) can only be appreciated/felt down the line.
Just like what the AFL and NRL are doing.If that's myopic I'll live with it.

Of course we'll get the Lara Bingle's complaint about her mother having to be isolated in a Hotel for 14 days.Stuff the people that could be affected by non isolation for overseas travellers.

Quicksilver

Bench
Financial experts within Treasury ,and outside .I'd suggest they have concerns about Australia's and their future.
Judging by the financial package they are covering just about everyone.If that's myopic, your'e living on a different planet.

Guess what it "ain't a perfect society, there will be no doubt the odd person who misses out.But the jobseeker and job keeper stimulus should cover everyone.Judging by comments of small business owners at random, they seem to be well behind the Govt decision.

Seeing the corona virus situation never happened before nor its implications, no one knows the final implications, health wise and economy wise.The thing changes from day to day.

It's the NOW that is the pressing issue, saving lives and jobs, what happens down the line(consequences) can only be appreciated/felt down the line.
Just like what the AFL and NRL are doing.If that's myopic I'll live with it.

Of course we'll get the Lara Bingle's complaint about her mother having to be isolated in a Hotel for 14 days.Stuff the people that could be affected by non isolation for overseas travellers.

yeah that’s great. But I’d be very surprised if a few lobbyists didn’t poke their head through the door. Which is kind of fine, to some extent, as long as it doesn’t sway the government too far one way.

It’s not like these things are just magically devised. There’d be people inside the party pulling it one direction or the other. There are probably people in the Lib/Nats that would have preferred emphasis elsewhere. That’s the way it’s meant to work.

If the package accomplishes most of the goals, fine.

But I do still wonder how we are meant to pay this back. Given the ravings of this party about debt in the past. If our grandkids pay for this, maybe We are morally obligated to just let it collapse, eat bread and water for 20 years and rebuild from scratch. I don’t know. I feel the dogma around a lot of this stuff is going to have to shift.

I don’t know what it will be replaced with though. Maybe we’ll just continue to pretend it’s not there.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Hang on I'll toss a coin.

Heads yes, Tails no.

It comes up heads- yes.

Is that the level rigour you want?

I can't answer it until more is known and there is a bit more discussion around it. That feels sensible to me.
Sorry if someone has already asked the question, but did you wash your hands after tossing the coin?
Need to be careful

taipan

Referee
yeah that’s great. But I’d be very surprised if a few lobbyists didn’t poke their head through the door. Which is kind of fine, to some extent, as long as it doesn’t sway the government too far one way.

It’s not like these things are just magically devised. There’d be people inside the party pulling it one direction or the other. There are probably people in the Lib/Nats that would have preferred emphasis elsewhere. That’s the way it’s meant to work.

If the package accomplishes most of the goals, fine.

But I do still wonder how we are meant to pay this back. Given the ravings of this party about debt in the past. If our grandkids pay for this, maybe We are morally obligated to just let it collapse, eat bread and water for 20 years and rebuild from scratch. I don’t know. I feel the dogma around a lot of this stuff is going to have to shift.

I don’t know what it will be replaced with though. Maybe we’ll just continue to pretend it’s not there.

Mate it's Fed and State Govts, in the National cabinet some Labor>You can argue there would be Labor premiers wanting emphasis elsewhere too.

It's going to take a long time to pay back, no one's suggesting otherwise.

Life will be different after this is over.The most important thing is we all have a life.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I was listening to a doctor on the radio the topic was the death rate in Italy, basically he said that issue In Italy is smoking....

Oh stop it. Smoking causes the underlying lung issue. Makes those people chronic disease sufferers. Therefore high risk for COVID-19. The virus is the thing killing them

FFS