What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

taipan

Referee
News ltd has spent the last 7 years, and more, taking every opportunity to put sht on the game and it’s leaders at every opportunity. The fact that during this period there has been numerous opportunities to do so and they haven’t should Have everyone feeling a healthy scepticism as to why. Couple that with the love fest over Vlandys and you can’t help but feel Suspect.
They’ve got a very long extension on a deal that still had two seasons of significant payments for less, possibly a lot less, and may have sabotaged the only serious investment the nrl has made over this period in its digital capacity. They may have not but we won’t know until the deal comes out. As they say the prof of the pudding and all that.

The last 7 years putting the brown stuff on the game.Have you been in an orbiting satellite for the last 30 years?
News has been firing more arrows at the NRL for ages, than the Apaches did at general Custer and his yankees at the Little Big Horn.Buzz is not exactly a cadet reporter, his head has scared kiddies and league fans alike for at least 3 decades, and he serves it up to the NRL, to score a scoop or scandal.

WTF.Have you seen during this pandemic with V'Landys leading the show, the News stories on the players Fox and Lateral Thinking and their anti bush isolation, demonstrating bike riding and fireside chats,and a bit of shoot the sh*t out of a car with a rifle, theTiki Tok dancing with a harem of young western lovelies ,at I can see Clearly's house breaking isolation rules.Then he lies to the Integrity Unit.
Then we get Wild West and Buffalo Bill Cody giving a Kung Fu kick to some thumper in Northern NSW on Instagram.Nah, News doesn't publicise negatives because PVL is in power.Seriously get off what you're on.

Did you read Troy Grant a former State govt Minister working on Project Apollo, who stated all these dumb publicised actions he thought would finally get the Government to step in and say, we can't trust you guys, so you cannot start on May 28th.
And you crap on and pretend it's only been positives provided by News Ltd.The facts show those comments are bollocks.

News will do whatever they want as will 9 ,if it sells papers and puts eyeballs on their screens.It's not making V'Landys job any easier.But ,but agenda, never forget the agenda.Scoop every one has an agenda at one time or another, if they can win or make money.

But it's quite Ok to forget whether the code continues in financial health or not.

azza29

Juniors
That is not how it works.
I don't think we know how it would work at the moment, presumably they are working through multiple options. Might seem ambitious but six weeks ago people were calling V'landys reckless for even trying to get the comp restarted, but three days out from the first game it all seems pretty reasonable. Assuming this virus doesn't somehow get out of control I think it's totally feasible that we'll have crowds back in some capacity in the next few months.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think we know how it would work at the moment, presumably they are working through multiple options. Might seem ambitious but six weeks ago people were calling V'landys reckless for even trying to get the comp restarted, but three days out from the first game it all seems pretty reasonable. Assuming this virus doesn't somehow get out of control I think it's totally feasible that we'll have crowds back in some capacity in the next few months.

If no second outbreak, they'll be back by Sept at latest imo. We only have two cases in WA active, that we know of.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well todays puff piece by Vlandys shows why Fox have been happy with him. extension on less money. Ching ching, but but but its security. Cracking strategy, re-negotiate during a time of great uncertainty and turmoil to the product delivery and then tell everyone it was to be expected due to the upheaval of the extraordinary times. Talk about self fulfilling prophecy! Why not wait until next year when everything was back to normal then negotiate? Why the rush now when we are weakened? Why go from a negotiating strategy using experts that has seen two massive increases on TV deals to one of having a lone chairman negotiating the deal that has led to a reduction?
I'm intrigued to know how he is going to deliver a future fund, asset investment , same expenditure on clubs, players and second tier all with less TV money. If he pulls that off even I will be impressed!

unforgiven

Bench
I didn't say it wasn't but suggesting that because cinema are allowed to have 50 people then we could have 50 people in each bay is not how it works. Yes I can see restrictions being lifted soon to allow crowds

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Well todays puff piece by Vlandys shows why Fox have been happy with him. extension on less money. Ching ching, but but but its security. Cracking strategy, re-negotiate during a time of great uncertainty and turmoil to the product delivery and then tell everyone it was to be expected due to the upheaval of the extraordinary times. Talk about self fulfilling prophecy! Why not wait until next year when everything was back to normal then negotiate? Why the rush now when we are weakened? Why go from a negotiating strategy using experts that has seen two massive increases on TV deals to one of having a lone chairman negotiating the deal that has led to a reduction?
I'm intrigued to know how he is going to deliver a future fund, asset investment , same expenditure on clubs, players and second tier all with less TV money. If he pulls that off even I will be impressed!

Not to mention he has sold off our independence.

He'll get the money through digital in some share arrangement.

Issue is News control the narrative. Where will people go to get an unbiased voice.

The irony is V'landys thinks that obviously all will be back to normal very soon otherwise he wouldn't have restarted the game and now talking crowds by July.

Yet when it comes to the broadcast deal we need to rush everything because "no-one knows how long this will all last"

Even if we got less cash losing are independence from News Ltd will hurt in the long run, by then Pete will be back at Racing NSW.

siv

First Grade
Reckon money will dictate who can get in first

Corporate boxes - big money

People who purchase tickets second - they can sell seats at premium prices

Venue ticket holders - no new money

Then when GA tickets be bought at GA prices

Season ticket holders will be allowed back in - no new money

taipan

Referee

Living in a winter wonderland as usual. Wait till 2022, but ch9 may be gone before then to televise the game.
Murdochs pumping in extra to keep Foxtel going. Yeah V'Landys holds the whip hand, despite the code having no assets, and the longer the code is not being televised the more money they lose.That'll show em.
When everything is back to normal next years.What !! TV 's financial situation,TV advertising dropping, and our economy is going to take more than 12 months to get back to normality, it will be years.

I'm intrigued to know how you have all this info ,as to what the deals were, how much is going to be cut at NRL admin, how much is to only be allowed at clubs' football department.
I'm sure the NRL negotiating will seek your advice for future deals, on how to get extras or the same from organisations in financial straight jackets.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Living in a winter wonderland as usual. Wait till 2022, but ch9 may be gone before then to televise the game.
Murdochs pumping in extra to keep Foxtel going. Yeah V'Landys holds the whip hand, despite the code having no assets, and the longer the code is not being televised the more money they lose.That'll show em.
When everything is back to normal next years.What !! TV 's financial situation,TV advertising dropping, and our economy is going to take more than 12 months to get back to normality, it will be years.

I'm intrigued to know how you have all this info ,as to what the deals were, how much is going to be cut at NRL admin, how much is to only be allowed at clubs' football department.
I'm sure the NRL negotiating will seek your advice for future deals, on how to get extras or the same from organisations in financial straight jackets.

How do you watch your favourite shows on what device?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Took this from an article written by Roy Masters about a month ago:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/two-bi...ital-arm-grant-warns-nrl-20200503-p54pcb.html

He argues that NRL.com is an extension of the strategy that started in 2012 with the removal of Fox Sports and Nine’s first and last rights over broadcast through until 2027. This, he says, returned sovereignty to future rights negotiations and, as the Australian viewing audience becomes more wedded to streaming, a global provider may offer the seed capital to fund NRL.com to a point where it streams games, such as the Junior Kangaroos versus France match on its website last year.

Grant calculates that if the NRL converted half its existing 1.6 million digital customers into $25-per-month subscribers, and had a free-to-air broadcaster pay a fair but lesser price than Nine pays now - plus monetises other available revenue streams - it could produce annual revenue of over $360m with advertising offsetting production costs.

“That’s almost $2b over five years, and any asset capable of generating this sort of cashflow is a very valuable asset,” Grant said.

That date 2027 seems interesting, I wonder what Pete has done or plans to do with the first and last rights, no wonder he did a deal with Fox until the end of 2027.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Article from 2018 on sports broadcasting, interesting to see how accurate the forecast is.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-15/the-economics-of-tv-sport/9654004
9662762-4x3-large.jpg

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/d...tions/us-enhancing-digital-fan-engagement.pdf

No wonder News Ltd wiped out Greenberg, Smith and Grant they would have seen them have very influence at all.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
My point is, when it's getting back to football (thus making money for Foxtel) the pandemic is shrinking very few cases we can even have crowds etc etc.

When it comes to the broadcast deal it's we have to take a deal until 2027 because who knows how long this will all last.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Has he ever said that though? Do you think once the virus pandemic is over (if) its simply back to the way it was?

No, he should have renegotiated the deals with Nine and Fox fine. Even though Nine were losing revenue even before this, look at the graph I posted and read the article. This was an opportunity to get a good deal for them because Smith got us a very good deal last time that's why he signed early with nine, smart.

Once all settles in a year or so then see what's on the table, don't get sucked in by scaremongering. People will watch their devices, they aren't going away. It may not be massive money but it will still be good. The biggest concern is we are back in bed with News Ltd. Is this what we want.