What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Cost of pilots and other staff.
Cost of maintenance including storage when it's not flying.
Cost of airport fees.
Cost of fuel.

It's massive. Freaking massive

The_Frog

First Grade
I believe it is. He is also on 2GB replacing Ben Fordham on Drive and is on The Continuous Call Team.
Former Eels board member and Panthers CEO as well, and played 216 first grade games for Balmain, Parra and Penrith. That's what you call a varied career.

Frailty

First Grade
V'Landys - we need to use one referee to save money due to COVID.
Also V'Lanyds - Let's buy a plane.

Noticed this thread went quiet when the AFL finalised their altered TV deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know which vote PR went for...

I went maybe, until we see the details of the TV deal its impossible to know if long term he has been good or a disaster. The rule changes are great and improved the game no end so far, getting the game back first brave and paid off, his mouthing off about expansion at the beginning of his reign and his fixation with sydney suburbia not so great. His sacking of Greenberg that would have cost the NRl hundreds of thousands of $'s to appease Ch9 sucked, publicly agreeing with Ch9 that the game was badly run unprofessional. Like I said there is no black and white, good or bad, saintly or evil, history judges leaders.

no name

Coach
I did find it funny how the News hacks praised the jet plan as a great idea.
I have no idea whether it would be viable or not, but can you imagine if Greenburg had floated such an idea?

MugaB

Coach
I have no idea whether it would be viable or not, but can you imagine if Greenburg had floated such an idea?
Greenburg had his own private jet they way he was spending

Perth Red

Post Whore

Its out of the box thinking apparently lol
Wont be a hard feasibility study to do, surprised hasnt been done already, I know the afl clubs looked at it over the years in WA and couldn't justify the cost even though it was much more convenient.

I'm surprised NRL doesnt have a good sponsorship deal with an airline, sick of seeing Wallabies and Socceroos adverts on Qantas!

Greenburg got crucified for having too may Development officers, they'd have had a fit if he said they might buy a plane lol

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm surprised NRL doesnt have a good sponsorship deal with an airline, sick of seeing Wallabies and Socceroos adverts on Qantas!
The NRL has deals with Qantas (flights) and Accor (accommodation) as far as I know.

unforgiven

Bench
The NRL has deals with Qantas (flights) and Accor (accommodation) as far as I know.
Yeah, wasn't there an issue a couple of years ag that the Cowboys were being disadvantaged because of the Airline partner not having a direct Syd-Tvl flight when one of the other airlines did and they had to use the partner airline?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I decided to start a poll to gauge what posters on here think of PVL since he took over .
Many seem to think as I do that he is great...a driving force that has been needed for years.
Others can't say a good word about him .
So vote away .

His dealing of each issue is different, so you may agree with one decision whilst disagreeing with something else.

Vee

First Grade
Not to mention any cost savings on accommodation or commercial flights will need to be sunk into maintenance, staffing, fuel etc. Then consider than roughly half of all games are played within Sydney between Sydney teams, with another couple of teams normally using road transport (Newcastle, Canberra). Throw in the fact you'd need to fixture carefully so NQ, WAR, MEL, BRI, GLD or teams headed to those places aren't happening same day - seems unlikely it'd be worth the expense.
Probably why he's crunching the numbers.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Numbers in the long run, lets say the whole team of parramatta and staff need to be flown to Townsville, commercial flight might not leave after game time is over at 10pm, then add overnight hotel stay for 40 people, food for before game after game, breakfast prior to morning flight home...
Now what he is proposing is no bullshit, get off plane, training, rest, whatever b4 game, game ends, get on plane go home.... pretty simple, but needs to be worked out on the actual cost of purchase of the jet, and what else is needed regarding ownership of a private plane.... but its worth looking into
Sydney’s 11pm airport curfew rules out flying teams home after night games.
PVL May have jumped the shark with this idea

Latest posts