What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think this plane debate is stupid. It doesn't save any money and like who could possibly care one way or another. If they do it it will be because they have worked out it makes a degree of financial sense. If they don't do it so be it. Either way, who cares?

We should talk about things the game could invest in that would improve the game day experience, thusly drawing bigger crowds. It should be an NRL level endeavour because clubs have sucked at this stuff for 100 years.

Agreed, if he came out and said that kids can get into the footy for $5 any game any ground it would be a great start!

T-Boon

Coach
Agreed, if he came out and said that kids can get into the footy for $5 any game any ground it would be a great start!

I'd say FREE. That word has a hypnotising effect on the consumer and that's what is needed with NRL fans regarding game attendance.

The NRL should subsidise clubs to offer free entry for kids under 15. Over that age they should get a job. Maybe get someone to sponsor it. Like the 'McDonalds free kids entry campaign'

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd say FREE. That word has a hypnotising effect on the consumer and that's what is needed with NRL fans regarding game attendance.

The NRL should subsidise clubs to offer free entry for kids under 15. Over that age they should get a job. Maybe get someone to sponsor it. Like the 'McDonalds free kids entry campaign'

Research shows when you pay for something you consider it has more value, even if it is small amount. Its also hard to come back from free once people are used to it. Eels have got it right offering a free Kids membership with every full adult GA membership.

T-Boon

Coach
Research shows when you pay for something you consider it has more value, even if it is small amount. Its also hard to come back from free once people are used to it. Eels have got it right offering a free Kids membership with every full adult GA membership.

Kids get everything for free because their parents are paying for it. So their feeling of its value is moot. However the mum or dad who brings their kid still pays $30 for their seat, while their kids get in for free. So his/her feeling is how great the value is. Meanwhile the hypnotic word FREE is doing its thing.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Kids get everything for free because their parents are paying for it. So their feeling of its value is moot. However the mum or dad who brings their kid still pays $30 for their seat, while their kids get in for free. So his/her feeling is how great the value is. Meanwhile the hypnotic word FREE is doing its thing.
Your idea has merit, but the bolded part above is incorrect - Kids learn, at a tremendous rate. Feeling of value is taught, hence PR's response - This instils a value for money approach in kids, as opposed to "why isn't it free anymore?" which is what you'd get in a generation.

Exsilium

First Grade
If I were a parent and my kid loved rugby league and their team, id be happy to pay a $5.00 fee for entry instead of it being free as I could use it as a tool to encourage my kid to work toward the goal of getting to see their team play every week or so. Consider it a reward for their actions.

Idris 84

Juniors
I'm not sure where its been mentioned, I had a google and cant see any quotes from AFL on the NRL's deal? Anyone else found the actual thing V'landys is talking about?

I get the sense with Vlandys he cant hold his tongue so if you throw something at him he will respond. Here we have two cases potentially, one the question on the plane and the other the alleged AFL comment I can see the media baiting him into some interesting responses for the game if this is the case.

Yeah i couldn't find anything either, pretty unprofessional to quote media speculation and say your competitor said this and this, when they can't be quoted anywhere as actually saying that.

Maybe that's the cost cuts at nrl headquarters, the fact checking department to advise the head honcho prior to him going off his tree publicly for no good reason :sweat_smile:.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah i couldn't find anything either, pretty unprofessional to quote media speculation and say your competitor said this and this, when they can't be quoted anywhere as actually saying that.
Maybe that's the cost cuts at nrl headquarters, the fact checking department to advise the head honcho prior to him going off his tree publicly for no good reason :sweat_smile:.

it’s very Trump like isn’t it?

Steel Saints

Juniors
it’s very Trump like isn’t it?

PR, you know what I find interesting. When the AFL did their revised tv deal, you have articles and comments on the comparisons between the two tv deals. Who had the most reductions? Even though no one had the full story.

Now a couple of months ago, it was revealed that NRL HQ spent close to half a million a day. The overspending cost Greenbergs job and allowed Nine an opening to get a reduced deal by saying the NRL has a bloated head office.

Yet by comparison, before Covid, do we know how much the AFL spent per day at their headquarters?

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Half a million a day Steel Saints. But it would seem as though Greenburg employed people as though he had half a billion a day to spend.

f**k knows what anyone was doing there, especially Todd. That much has been proven by what the Great man, PVL, has achieved in a very short time.

taipan

Referee
That was a payment from Fox to nine, NRL still got its $185mill from Nine and $175mill from Fox. Only way Fox is paying $200mill plus a year to NRL is if they are paying those Saturday and simucast fees to NRL post 2022, in which case we will end up with a lot less than $185 from FTA. The bar set in 2018 is $360mill a year. Lets see how much under we are when we actually know the Fox extension details and what the new FTA deal looks like from '23 onwards.

Fox still outlaid the money, indirectly ,and that would have been the result of the Smith fiasco in 9 paying a crazy amount.Which ended up a great financial assist to the AFL.
All I know is the NRL are receiving more loot from Fox.They signed an extension with their higher revenue provider, seems rational to me in these times.The figure set $1bn has been stated by media,I'm not pinning my life to it.
We at least have a decent degree of longer term security, thus I can't see why under prevailing conditions ,you seem to think it's hardly good news.
Let's see the AFL broadcast details and deductions, judging by comments if they also can be believed, that they may have opened their gob and got egg on their face by using their oft shot at the NRL our is better crap.
I expect you of course, if they have given up more than the NRL, to be highly critical, as you are constantly with the NRL and its admin.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
I think this plane debate is stupid. It doesn't save any money and like who could possibly care one way or another. If they do it it will be because they have worked out it makes a degree of financial sense. If they don't do it so be it. Either way, who cares?

We should talk about things the game could invest in that would improve the game day experience, thusly drawing bigger crowds. It should be an NRL level endeavour because clubs have sucked at this stuff for 100 years.

I don’t think the costs savings they are investigating is purely to do with airfare costs . ‘they would be looking at costs of having charter plane fly in fly out same day compared to previous costs , including airfare , hotels , allowances etc

atm wth this whole charter flight situation , they fly in and out same day
Where they used the commercial planes previously , clubs would fly in the previous day and fly out following day . So there would be cost savings on hotel costs and (This is a and ) there could be savings on daily travel allowance to players (ie when I have been sent interstate I have a daily allowance for food etc paid by my company)

Perth Red

Post Whore
PR, you know what I find interesting. When the AFL did their revised tv deal, you have articles and comments on the comparisons between the two tv deals. Who had the most reductions? Even though no one had the full story.

Now a couple of months ago, it was revealed that NRL HQ spent close to half a million a day. The overspending cost Greenbergs job and allowed Nine an opening to get a reduced deal by saying the NRL has a bloated head office.

Yet by comparison, before Covid, do we know how much the AFL spent per day at their headquarters?

you can easily find out in their annual report of you're interested.
I can’t believe people are still falling for that nine BS that Greenburg was spending $500K a day like it was all corporate cost. For the 500th time that figure included all the costs for running the game like refs, insurances, integrity unit, travel and accomodation for teams, digital arm, corporate costs for sponsorship attraction and money spent on events like origin and Finals that raise huge revenue. It was the biggest media beat up ever. The actual admin cost for 2019 was $57k a day. It’s why I was pssed off at Greenberg's sacking. Not because I thought he was a good ceo but because the Nine total misrepresentation of the accounts was absolute BS agenda to get rid of Greenberg to get a better from Vlandys.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fox still outlaid the money, indirectly ,and that would have been the result of the Smith fiasco in 9 paying a crazy amount.Which ended up a great financial assist to the AFL.
All I know is the NRL are receiving more loot from Fox.They signed an extension with their higher revenue provider, seems rational to me in these times.The figure set $1bn has been stated by media,I'm not pinning my life to it.
We at least have a decent degree of longer term security, thus I can't see why under prevailing conditions ,you seem to think it's hardly good news.
Let's see the AFL broadcast details and deductions, judging by comments if they also can be believed, that they may have opened their gob and got egg on their face by using their oft shot at the NRL our is better crap.
I expect you of course, if they have given up more than the NRL, to be highly critical, as you are constantly with the NRL and its admin.

only time can tell

AJB1102

First Grade
I can’t believe people are still falling for that nine BS that Greenburg was spending $500K a day like it was all corporate cost. For the 500th time that figure included all the costs for running the game like refs, insurances, integrity unit, travel and accomodation for teams, digital arm, corporate costs for sponsorship attraction and money spent on events like origin and Finals that raise huge revenue. It was the biggest media beat up ever. The actual admin cost for 2019 was $57k a day. It’s why I was pssed off at Greenberg's sacking. Not because I thought he was a good ceo but because the Nine total misrepresentation of the accounts was absolute BS agenda to get rid of Greenberg to get a better from Vlandys.

Getting Greenberg turfed resulting in PVL becoming dictator is the best thing 9 has done.

Which begs the question. When does Greenberg’s side of the story come out?

betcats

Referee
Which begs the question. When does Greenberg’s side of the story come out?

Very good chance it never will, he got a pay out so he probably agreed to some terms. Also his side of the story is probably shit anyway. Some possibly inflated figures from the media does not make him a good CEO or a loss to the game. So far the game has been far better off without him.

EDIT: The Isaac Moses thing looks really bad for Todd, the two were close apparently.

Last edited: