What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Debelin could be back in 17 as early as next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

since77

Juniors
We learnt from last year': Dragons wary of raising hopes before de Belin court date
Christian Nicolussi
June 19, 2020 — 2.26pm

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor says his players have learnt to not get their hopes up about the potential return of Jack de Belin as he prepares for his latest day in court next week.

Rather than sensing excitement among the playing group about the star forward potentially ending his NRL exile, McGregor said: "I think the excitement is Jack getting an opportunity to defend himself in court, and he hasn't had that.''

Dragons players were crushed on the eve of a game against Newcastle last May when news filtered through the Federal Court had upheld the NRL's decision to sideline de Belin under its no-fault stand-down rule as he faced sexual assault charges.

Some of the senior Dragons were so convinced de Belin would return they briefly discussed boycotting the game against Newcastle because of their shock. Tyson Frizell said: "There was a lot of disappointment and a weird feeling with everyone thinking Jack would be back that day."

McGregor said there would be no repeat of those scenes this time for de Belin's trial, which is scheduled for a motion hearing at Wollongong Local Court on Monday.

2898bf286925b5a8bbe7c616fb5d87e0c28f3180

Jack de Belin will return to court on Monday.Credit:Sydney Morning Herald

A return against the Sydney Roosters on Friday week is highly unlikely, but de Belin's 18 months out of the game could end in the coming weeks if he gets a favourable result.

"It's never been openly discussed with the group about Jack playing this year,'' McGregor said on Friday.

"That's something we learnt from last year. He is still training and a part of our group. From day one we've put [first] the welfare of Jack and making sure he's in a comfortable environment.

"Jack is ready to play. He's one of the fittest players at the club - certainly our fittest middle player - and he was a standout player in his position before he got stood down. He trains as good as anyone else in the squad so he's ready to go.''

803904c892a953188498d81987eab13756b011e1

St Helens bound ... James Graham.Credit:Getty

Rival clubs are circling de Belin in the hope he will be free to play next year, with the New Zealand Warriors and Wests Tigers prepared to welcome the 29-year-old.

McGregor was certain the club's recruitment boss Ian Millward would do everything possible to keep the star lock forward. Salary cap space will not be an issue for the Red V, especially with fellow representative forward Frizell bound for Newcastle.

"He'd be in the club's plans for 2021 because he's an elite player and when he was playing he was the best middle, if not one of the best three middles, in the game at No.13.''

Meanwhile, McGregor confirmed James Graham would definitely play against the Gold Coast Titans on Saturday despite asking for an official release to return home to England.

"The conversation I had with James was pretty simple - he wants to finish his career where he started back at St Helens. But he will definitely play this week,'' McGregor said.

"And he's got the remainder of the year to do that after an opening came with [Luke Thompson] going to Canterbury.

"I don't know [if it will be his last game on Saturday] but I do know what James will give us on the football field and that's an all-in performance.''

By making it public Graham wanted an English farewell, McGregor said it would make it easier for managers of middle forwards at rival clubs to make contact with the Dragons.

McGregor said he was interested only in a ''like-for-like replacement'' and not someone in another position.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...fore-de-belin-court-date-20200619-p5548f.html

You’ve got to love the title of that article - “We learnt from last year”. If there’s one thing we all know it’s that this coach and the idiots on the board never learn anything. Ever.

qld redvee

Juniors
You’ve got to love the title of that article - “We learnt from last year”. If there’s one thing we all know it’s that this coach and the idiots on the board never learn anything. Ever.
yep supercoach learnt real well - thats why he keeps saying JDB is part of the 30 , our game went to sh*t because he wasnt playing and maybe a lot of our game plan involved JDb and how he is hoping against hope that JDB is allowed to play for the rest of the year to tighten the defence and add a bit of mongrel...
that is really learning to "move " on and prepare for the worst something he cant

possm

Coach
yep supercoach learnt real well - thats why he keeps saying JDB is part of the 30 , our game went to sh*t because he wasnt playing and maybe a lot of our game plan involved JDb and how he is hoping against hope that JDB is allowed to play for the rest of the year to tighten the defence and add a bit of mongrel...
that is really learning to "move " on and prepare for the worst something he cant
I can't stand Mary but I would blame the NRL for this one. The NRL had the right to suspend JDB until legal action was complete but instead of suspending him from the game and taking responsibility for all the repocusions of that decision, they made the decision and then left it up to SGI to manage the fall-out.

I have said this before, the NRL should have assumed responsibility for JDB's contract and his welfare. His salary cap should have been zeroed and St George been given permission t replace him. Training, counselling and full responsibility for all costs should have been arranged by the NRL.

Last edited:

qld redvee

Juniors
I can't stand Mary but I would blame the NRL for this one. The NRL had the right to suspend JDB until legal action was complete but instead of suspending him from the game and taking responsibility for all the repocusions of that that decision, they made the decision and then left it up to SGI to manage the fall-out.

I have said this before, the NRL should have assumed responsibility for JDB's contract and his welfare. His salary cap should have been zeroed and St George been given permission t replace him. Training, counselling and full responsibility for all costs should have been arranged by the NRL.
Possm,
Agree that NRL should have done more as they stood him down .. BUT supercoach should have had contingencies in place to cover for JDB ( like JDB busted his leg / knee and was out for the season . BUT he clings on sweating for JDB to be cleared to play .. Publicly saying JDB is the defence we need etc etc . As the article that i first replied to said " we learnt " its evident that MAry couldnt / wouldnt learn ... here it is a year later and mary is sweating bullets that somehow JDB will be cleared so he can pick him in the 13 jersey and our season will turn around.. an easy replacement for graham
its evident that mary had planned for JDB to be cleared in february and based the game plan and defence around that happening =- once again not learning
But i agree with what you say re our responsibility etc

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Isn't today's hearing only for legal arguments? Nowhere near a verdict yet.

According to the court list there is a hearing for "notice of motion". That "motion could mean many things, but it wouldn't be surprised if it was a "motion to dismiss". The judge would then listen to the arguement for dismissal. There would have to be the opportunity for the Crown to respond, which could be immediate or longer (days?) depending on the evidence presented.

possm

Coach
Possm,
Agree that NRL should have done more as they stood him down .. BUT supercoach should have had contingencies in place to cover for JDB ( like JDB busted his leg / knee and was out for the season . BUT he clings on sweating for JDB to be cleared to play .. Publicly saying JDB is the defence we need etc etc . As the article that i first replied to said " we learnt " its evident that MAry couldnt / wouldnt learn ... here it is a year later and mary is sweating bullets that somehow JDB will be cleared so he can pick him in the 13 jersey and our season will turn around.. an easy replacement for graham
its evident that mary had planned for JDB to be cleared in february and based the game plan and defence around that happening =- once again not learning
But i agree with what you say re our responsibility etc
I think all of this is beyond Mary's capability and so it should have been in the hands of our former CEO. He should have pressed the NRL even more and if necessary, taken them to court over this issue.

Greenburg hated the Dragons and really never did anything to assist us. I believe deep down he wanted the Dragons to fully relocate to Wollongong with our junior clubs being distributed between Cronulla and Canterbury. I am so glad that guy is gone.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
imagine the turn around in fortunes from just a couple of weeks ago if JDB were to be miraculously cleared to play again and he came back in to add a SOO level force into our forward pack...I would start to believe again.

possm

Coach
I think the board have learnt ignorance is bliss, works wonders for them.
On football matters, it should be that the Board takes the recommendations of the CEO unliss it is an out of budget matter or it conflicts with club rules/procedures/ policy or with previous decisions made by the board.

possm

Coach
imagine the turn around in fortunes from just a couple of weeks ago if JDB were to be miraculously cleared to play again and he came back in to add a SOO level force into our forward pack...I would start to believe again.
I would play JDB as a the run on prop with Vaughan. Then with Kerr and Merrin in the prop roatation coming of the bench.

I'd say the current line up with Hunt at hooker and McInnes at lock is a better structure then what we have had in the past. Hunt really impresses as our dummy half and MicIness is not just a tackling machine up the middle, he also has a good step, passing game and kiking game as well when playing at 13.

redv13

Bench
I would play JDB as a the run on prop with Vaughan. Then with Kerr and Merrin in the prop roatation coming of the bench.

I'd say the current line up with Hunt at hooker and McInnes at lock is a better structure then what we have had in the past. Hunt really impresses as our dummy half and MicIness is not just a tackling machine up the middle, he also has a good step, passing game and kiking game as well when playing at 13.
How about you wait and see before you start a thousand messages about JDB starting here there and everywhere. I think everyone should respect the whole court process whether you agree or not and also remember there is a young lady and her family being dragged through this as well.

Como Connection

First Grade
How about you wait and see before you start a thousand messages about JDB starting here there and everywhere. I think everyone should respect the whole court process whether you agree or not and also remember there is a young lady and her family being dragged through this as well.
Plus his then pregnant partner.
CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts