What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Penrith games

The Realist

Juniors
It's funny the amount of people here shitting on Elliot. Some of these people were probably the same people who defended him on Panthers Interactive back in the day. I knew he was a dud after the 1st year and got attacked relentlessly for it.

The bloke is a complete conman. He sounds smart, tells you everything you want to hear but isn't competent when it is time to do the work and deliver. It took someone who DOES know his shit, and who is Competent to see straight threw him. Sacking Elliot is the best thing Gus ever did for us.

betcats

Referee
It's funny the amount of people here shitting on Elliot. Some of these people were probably the same people who defended him on Panthers Interactive back in the day. I knew he was a dud after the 1st year and got attacked relentlessly for it.

The bloke is a complete conman. He sounds smart, tells you everything you want to hear but isn't competent when it is time to do the work and deliver. It took someone who DOES know his shit, and who is Competent to see straight threw him. Sacking Elliot is the best thing Gus ever did for us.

Oh yeah Elliot had a ton of support amongst Panthers fans, you must be real clever to be one of the few calling him shit :rolleyes: well done Realist give yourself a pat on the back champ.

snickers007

Juniors
Elliott got some rubbish Canberra teams to the finals consistently. And I've got no doubt that was the pitch he gave Penrith when they hired him. The problem was that he was far too close to some of our star players, that they stopped putting in, and he didn't have the balls to drop them or pull them into line.

franklin2323

Immortal
Ha ha yes that decision was utterly stupid - There is no defending that at all

But if you listen to him analyse a game, you can tell he knows the technical side of things quite well. He was just a terrible coach.

Yeah it is strange. The way he breaks down defences etc yet his sides he coaches were garbage

The Realist

Juniors
Oh yeah Elliot had a ton of support amongst Panthers fans, you must be real clever to be one of the few calling him shit :rolleyes: well done Realist give yourself a pat on the back champ.

Yeah Good on ya. Gosh I wish PI was still up so I could go back to some of those old posts and roast some fools in here.

I had SOME backup in that forum but the vast majority were either Panther sycophants where the club could 'do no wrong' (we have a few of these idiots in here; 'are you even a fan' types) or were the more moderate types of - Just Give Elliot a chance yadda yadda.

After his 1st contract was close to up that forum was still 50/50 on extending for a further 2 years from his initial 3. Bloody madness. Proud to say I called it pretty much earlier than anyone else in there - and I was constantly hounded at the time.

The Realist

Juniors
Yeah it is strange. The way he breaks down defences etc yet his sides he coaches were garbage

I agree with this. He is normally quite insightful in commentary and he also used to do some studio breakdowns on FOX I believe and they were quite good.

All I can say is that analysis (often in hindsight) is far easier than 'making it happen' on the field, and doing it better than the opposition more often than not.

betcats

Referee
Yeah Good on ya. Gosh I wish PI was still up so I could go back to some of those old posts and roast some fools in here.

I had SOME backup in that forum but the vast majority were either Panther sycophants where the club could 'do no wrong' (we have a few of these idiots in here; 'are you even a fan' types) or were the more moderate types of - Just Give Elliot a chance yadda yadda.

After his 1st contract was close to up that forum was still 50/50 on extending for a further 2 years from his initial 3. Bloody madness. Proud to say I called it pretty much earlier than anyone else in there - and I was constantly hounded at the time.

Who the f**k cares about some old forum that doesnt exist anymore, that place had about 10 posters. Go back and check the posts here if you want to see how much Elliot got bagged, he was shat on weekly and rightly so. Honestly if you need to talk yourself up because you think called Matt elliot shit before most you must not get much else right fmd what a joke.

The_Frog

First Grade
Elliott is good on the radio. His breakdown on NRL.com was good too. So he has some idea. No idea why it didn't work when coaching?
Had a very good record in the UK Super League but hovered around 44% in the NRL, which was clearly beyond his comfort zone as a head coach. Made the finals 3 times with the Raiders and once with us, losing all six finals matches.

soc123_au

Staff member

Good luck finding anyone praising Elliott on here, I remember being on PI as well & don't recall much support from him there either apart from the usuals that waved the flag regarding everything. I do remember you being one of the more vocal ones in your disapproval.

betcats

Referee
Elliot took over in 2007, by the end of 2008 season he was doing this in a press conference:

1b1825f366acddc222bda15c3784ff0a

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/16dd448dd7a318d30effcd0976d4c8d4

He had to front the board to try and keep his job that week, It didnt take long for anyone to figure out he was shit (except the board at penrith).

Blade23

Juniors
Elliott got some rubbish Canberra teams to the finals consistently. And I've got no doubt that was the pitch he gave Penrith when they hired him. The problem was that he was far too close to some of our star players, that they stopped putting in, and he didn't have the balls to drop them or pull them into line.

Pretty much this.
He is a really nice guy that couldn't command authority.
He has a good tactical brain that can read a play better than most people. Despite this, he still did some odd shit.
He wows club bosses with his initial pitch. Very enthusiastic and well prepared.

It got to the stage here players were interfering with team selections of where they wanted to play. And telling him how they want to train.
He just wanted to be their friend. You can't have that for a head coach.

Kilkenny

Coach
Pretty much this.
He is a really nice guy that couldn't command authority.
He has a good tactical brain that can read a play better than most people. Despite this, he still did some odd shit.
He wows club bosses with his initial pitch. Very enthusiastic and well prepared.

It got to the stage here players were interfering with team selections of where they wanted to play. And telling him how they want to train.
He just wanted to be their friend. You can't have that for a head coach.

I kinda liked Matt Elliot, as you point out he seemed to place too much faith in certain members of the playing group, senior players, who largely didn’t repay the faith so to speak. Player power can be a dangerous thing, particularly when the results are not good enough.

He had some rather quirky quotes he used to put out at press conferences after we got thumped, how he didn’t see the poor performance coming given how well we had trained during the week. Cant recall the words or phrases he used but it was rather synonymous of his reign unfortunately.

At the end of the day he wasn’t quite the right fit for us at the time.

The Realist

Juniors
I kinda liked Matt Elliot,

He was very likable, had a charming self deprecating style of humour. But I don't give a shit about how likable our coach is unless it adversely affects the clubs performance. I'd rather a complete asshole who wins (like Bellamy) then someone who is likable and does a poor (or even fair) job.

Kilkenny

Coach
He was very likable, had a charming self deprecating style of humour. But I don't give a shit about how likable our coach is unless it adversely affects the clubs performance. I'd rather a complete asshole who wins (like Bellamy) then someone who is likable and does a poor (or even fair) job.

Not really the point I was trying to make but fair play to you I guess, you always seem able to snatch the negative from a positive. Sorry, for simply expressing the view he was a likeable character.