What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Round 2 - Vs Broncos

Steenson123

Juniors
You know w
I'd have Thompson on the wing and put milne with tass in the centres and sack ilias and put Dean hawkins at #7
You know what my friend? I agree with you 101%!! At least this gives the squad two things: 1. More aggressive physical players. and 2. A Better kicking game.
Hawkins has EARNED a shot at starting. I have been one of his harshest critics since he emerged at SSFC BUT he has at least earned a shot at the #7. He has served his apprenticeship. Penrith were evidently after him as a back-up so they too must see something of utility in him and his kicking game is quite good. I believe Hawkins, as strange as this may sound, will allow the offense to be much smoother and potent. Ilias has proven to be erratic and mistake riddled.
One thing we can count on. The squad, as chosen by Demetriou, will get absolutely skinned.

Steenson123

Juniors
N
Great post
Now we are talking! The pack is, as you quite rightly state, TOOTHLESS and holds no fears for any opponent. Moale has been a non event, ineffective, and Koloamatangi has dropped off markedly in intensity. The selected starters, combined with the impotent style of play, will get the coach sacked sooner rather than later. Yet he continues to play guys like Kennar, Moale and Havili and to keep faith in Ilias combined with Walker's fairy floss punts. Kennar and Gagai together as outside backs at A Grade Level is a complete disaster.

Big Pete

Referee
Best of luck guys. It's still early in the season so even without Wighton, Arrow and Graham you'll be in with a show. Brisbane enjoyed a great 2023, but they still have some work to do to establish and Souths did win this corresponding fixture last year.

There's been a bit of history between the two clubs. 89, 94, 03 but it's definitely heated up over the years. I'd say it all started when the Rabbitohs intercepted GI, then the two clubs had that classic 2014 game and it's only grown from there.

I don't know if it's a heated rivalry, at least from the Broncos end. There was some animosity in 2018-19, but the fans were divided over the way Bennett was treated and there's this feeling that the Broncos got what they deserved. In recent years, we appreciate Reyno and both Trell and Cody came out in support of Ezra so it's water under the bridge at the moment.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Cameron Murray and he'd be the first player I'd pick in any rep side.

Regardless, best of luck on Thursday and hopefully irrespective of the result it can serve as a springboard for both teams.

You know w

You know what my friend? I agree with you 101%!! At least this gives the squad two things: 1. More aggressive physical players. and 2. A Better kicking game.
Hawkins has EARNED a shot at starting. I have been one of his harshest critics since he emerged at SSFC BUT he has at least earned a shot at the #7. He has served his apprenticeship. Penrith were evidently after him as a back-up so they too must see something of utility in him and his kicking game is quite good. I believe Hawkins, as strange as this may sound, will allow the offense to be much smoother and potent. Ilias has proven to be erratic and mistake riddled.
One thing we can count on. The squad, as chosen by Demetriou, will get absolutely skinned.

I agree with you 101% this is a no brainer post well done this is very smart logical thinking on your behalf, something that dudmetriou lacks i say sack dudmetriou + ilias both are not up to their perspective jobs.ilias and dudmetriou are not going to ever win us a grand final anyone that think they will are 101% totally delusional.

N

Now we are talking! The pack is, as you quite rightly state, TOOTHLESS and holds no fears for any opponent. Moale has been a non event, ineffective, and Koloamatangi has dropped off markedly in intensity. The selected starters, combined with the impotent style of play, will get the coach sacked sooner rather than later. Yet he continues to play guys like Kennar, Moale and Havili and to keep faith in Ilias combined with Walker's fairy floss punts. Kennar and Gagai together as outside backs at A Grade Level is a complete disaster.

You absolutely nailed it!!!!

Best of luck guys. It's still early in the season so even without Wighton, Arrow and Graham you'll be in with a show. Brisbane enjoyed a great 2023, but they still have some work to do to establish and Souths did win this corresponding fixture last year.

There's been a bit of history between the two clubs. 89, 94, 03 but it's definitely heated up over the years. I'd say it all started when the Rabbitohs intercepted GI, then the two clubs had that classic 2014 game and it's only grown from there.

I don't know if it's a heated rivalry, at least from the Broncos end. There was some animosity in 2018-19, but the fans were divided over the way Bennett was treated and there's this feeling that the Broncos got what they deserved. In recent years, we appreciate Reyno and both Trell and Cody came out in support of Ezra so it's water under the bridge at the moment.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Cameron Murray and he'd be the first player I'd pick in any rep side.

Regardless, best of luck on Thursday and hopefully irrespective of the result it can serve as a springboard for both teams.

I hope old man injured reyno gives ilias a good old towelling up for all to see we all know reyno will out point ilias astronomically i am a realist we need a massive change at #7 today and I hope somehow souths elevate hawkins by round 4 or 5 or by the 6th round or we are gonski to make the play offs come September we have no enforcer + no #7 and a very poor coach when will souths wake up to the fact that our recruitment has been a big failure with dudmetriou along with ilias luckily we recruited wighton not all is lost.look at the rorters recruiting Spencer leniu + dominic young every year they buy star players unlike souths.look at bennett he has bought 8 donkey players in 2 years and just lost out on Ezra mam three weeks ago.im sure bennett will target a couple of more donkeys next year this is bennetts finest coaching skills i believe think about it can souths find an aggressive recruitment officer that gives us an automatic sombrero hat like the rorters.have.
Wow, we have the softest pack forwards in the comp!
Tom Burgess is the best metre eater and he is on the bench!
No agressive forward in the starting pack, they look like altar boys.
Illias , Moale and Kalamatongi should be dropped. Hawkins to half and Shaq and Chee Kim.
I still don't understand why we didn't try to get Nathan Brown back when he was cut loose by Parra? That JD has no idea.
I hope we get flogged 60 + points and sack the coach.

Love your work Paul 1

callmack1

Staff member

JD would know how important this is tomorrow and those are some nice words from him about the game, but I'm sick of hearing talk. It's time to walk the walk.

Fingers crossed callmack I'd put chee kam in the centres if he is available to partner tass and drop kennar and put milne on the wing and drop gagai.and if milne is unavailable then put Thompson on the wing..

truthslayer

Juniors
These are truly concerning times, especially considering it's only the second game of the season. I had high hopes for Davy, but it's crucial to see how he performs in this game. He really needs to step up his game and show more aggression and determination. As for the centers, I'm hoping for the best, but Tass was exposed in the last game. Looking back at his performances last season, it's clear there are areas he needs to work on. And as for Kennear, he doesn't even seem fit to be on the bench in my opinion. It's frustrating to see Demetrio overlook Jhye Gray for the bench spot. When Illias starts faltering, he needs to be replaced immediately. Without Arrow, our forward pack seems lacking in bite. Mr. Walker, it's time for you to make your presence known on the field.

callmack1

Staff member
There's a quote from Kobe Bryant that says, "Everything negative - pressure, challenges; Is as opportunity for me to rise." I think that quote has never been truer than it is for us today. We're under all this pressure, massive pressure. So much so, that I don't think I've felt this kind of heat this early in a Season. Going up to Brisbane tonight is a massive challenge, one of the biggest we'll face in the NRL and we are so up against it. But with all that, comes great opportunity to rise about that, to rise as one and become the team we know we can be.

Good morning my fellow South Sydney members and fans, rise and shine because we all know what day it is today. Wherever you are in the world, get up, get your colours on, get moving, belt out a Glory, Glory and let's gooo because today is game dayyyyy!!!!!

I've got to say, as a fan, I'm really feeling it today. This just has that big, crucial game feel to it. I'm really feeling the nerves for this one today more than anything else if I'm honest. Not feeling confident at all. In saying that, sometimes not being confident as a fan can yield a good result so let's hope that happens tonight. No one is giving us a chance in hell of winning this game. Let's go out and stick it to them!!

We've built up a bit of a rivalry with the Broncos in recent years. Ever since the whole Bennett-Seibold thing, there's certainly been a bit of feeling between the two clubs. And while both those coaches are no longer at either club, the feeling of dislike still remains, I'm sure. At least, it does for me. That feeling is probably fueled now by Reynolds' departure to them. Would love to get one over him again! Especially after the way things ended up last year.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say I'm under no allusions as to how tough this game tonight is going to be. Brisbane made a Grand Final last year and almost won the damn thing. Once again, in 2024, they will be right up there as one of the best teams competing for the Premiership. They have so much speed, athleticism and strike right across the park in both the forwards and the backs. They are very, very hard to contain at the best of times. That's why I don't really see a 'key' to winning this one as such because there's no one key area you have to get on top of the Broncos to win. It's literally right across the park with them and that is a daunting prospect.

I will tell you one thing though, for us, today is all about defence. We know we have the attack and strike, even against a team like Brisbane, but defending our line is still a real worry. It looked awful in Round 1, and I want to see much better tonight, I need to see much better tonight, or we could be in trouble. Line speed, line speed, line speed and make your bloody tackles. No defensive errors, we need to be a lot more switched on there and we need to just get physical with them. We have an opportunity to make a statement today. Yea, we're missing some firepower but this is a side that is still more than capable of winning today. I want to see the pride restored. I want to see the passion restored and I want to see the hunger restored. We are South Sydney! The oldest, proudest and loudest club there is. Get out there and show it!! We really don't want to go 0-2.

So tonight, we are massively under pressure and it's a huge, huge challenge. But as Kobe says, with that, comes a great opportunity to rise, and I'd love nothing more than to rise tonight. Go get it boys!! Let's goooooo!!!

Glory, Glory.

Souths are looking well off the pace to start the season. Can see Brisbane scoring 50+ here

Definitely 20+ dogmatic we got two floggings coming up donkeys tonight then the rorters next week we will be 0-3 its going to be hard to watch my beloved team get flogged. im a realist like I've said many times if wighton aint #6 and cody aint #7 we are finished for 2024.

Adding to this why Dean hawkins is not #7 defies logical thinking for instance watch how many points adam reynolds scores tonight then lets see how many points lachlan ilias scores tonight i can promise you now before a ball is kicked old man reyno will out score ilias guaranteed anyone with a moderate IQ in rugby league knows this except for souths hierarchy great recruitment souths (NOT).we have to get flogged to learn by our mistakes will souths ever learn? I doubt it very much because reyno is gonna pile up the points tonight are you watching rusty + co and the faithful buckle up for a reality check +flogging hey im a realist no excuses from me how about you? Dogmatix is a realist!

Rabbits20

Immortal

Well here we are Game Day is upon us this time a Thursday Night blockbuster a very tough assignment away from home in Brisbane. We do not have the greatest record up there so it’ll be a tall ask our backs are against the wall we are under a lot of pressure in the media. It would be great to win tonight for our confidence and not to go 0 and 2 but tbh I’m not very confident but you never know. I really hope to see that South Sydney grit and determination I know it’s still there somewhere in us we are just low on confidence. It doesn’t get any easier playing last years Grand Finalists up there also coming off a round 1 loss. It’ll be a hostile environment too no doubt.

Looking at us I think we can all agree defence is our biggest work on you just can’t leak that many points in the NRL we need to tighten that up and work hard for one another and show desperation. Where that task becomes tougher is being down Wighton, Campbell, Munro and Arrow they are key outs but especially out wide we are gonna have to try limit Brisbane chances as best we can. To do that we need to not be giving silly penalties away and make sure we complete our sets and having a strong kicking game. There is talk Murray will mainly play edge so I look forward to seeing how that goes and how Tallis goes in the middle mainly as well it’s good to have Tallis back. Also we need more out of Cpdy we need him to lift. But to do that we will need to play well in the middle and it’s a tall ask stopping the likes of Payne Haas and Carrigan then they have Walsh, Staggs, Cobbo so much strike out wide and the strong halves pairing of Mam and Reyno. Most importantly tonight we can’t afford any lapse of we lapse for 15-20mins like last weeks game they will make us pay.

To those going to the game up there tonight do your best to let the boys know we at least have a little bit of support up there! Wherever you are watching FIRE UP AND WEAR THE COLOURS PROUDLY!!! Our backs are against the wall but you never know!

COME 7:58PM TONIGHT ALL RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS ON YOUR FEET AND SCREAM YOUR LUNGS OUT GLORY GLORY LETS GO RABBITOHS!!!!!

BBBOOOOOOOOOOOO GET EM ONSIDE GERRY

WHERE IS OUR SIX AGAIN JERRY WHAT ABOUT REFFING FOR BOTH SIDES

HIGH TACKLE BBBOOOOOOOOOOO

SECOND EFFORT FLOP BBBBBOOOOOOOOOO LEG PULL

PULL THE WHISTLE OUT OF YOUR ARSE

WAKE UP TOUCHIE THATS ANOTHER FORWARD PASS BBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

GO SOUTH SYDNEY GO SOUTH SYDNEY WALKING ALONG SINGING A SONG SINGING GLORY GLORY GLORY ALL THE WAY!!!

SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP

Regardless of the result just make us proud please boys!!!

Steenson123

Juniors

Unfortunately Murray is NOT a winner. He does not know HOW TO WIN and he has zero charisma. Truth is hard to swallow we see this in World Events today and in the growth of the economic hardship of many. Truth is the club needs a charismatic smart Coach one who commands fear and respect. Selecting Kennar-Gagai in the backline is simply ridiculous. Team needs a Coach who makes the roster UNCOMFORTABLE, scared of non-performances. I can think of two that may be available: Maguire and Slater. The club needs a Coach with front who will provide discomfort to the entrenched divas [Walker, Mitchell, Koloamatangi etc] and challenge them to lift their performance.

Last edited:

Steenson123

Juniors
Fact is this. Demetriou loses tonight and against Easts [in both games he will be a distinct outsider] his coaching record will be below .500 that is he will have lost more games than won here in over 2 seasons. Plus the side regularly collapses in the last 20 minutes conceeding way too many points. There were rumours last season of trading/exchanging Demetriou with an English SL club coach. With the arrow pointing south, Demetriou has to be on a very short leash.
For the short term I would give Ben Hornby a shot and bring in Carr as his offsider. Hornby was a tough smart player and Carr showed last season he has aggression and energy in his short, very difficult stint at St George.

Unfortunately Murray is NOT a winner. He does not know HOW TO WIN and he has zero charisma. Truth is hard to swallow we see this in World Events today and in the growth of the economic hardship of many. Truth is the club needs a charismatic smart Coach one who commands fear and respect. Selecting Kennar-Gagai in the backline is simply ridiculous. Team needs a Coach who makes the roster UNCOMFORTABLE, scared of non-performances. I can think of two that may be available: Maguire and Slater. The club needs a Coach with front who will provide discomfort to the entrenched divas [Walker, Mitchell, Koloamatangi etc] and challenge them to lift their performance.

Spot on you nailed it again who ever signed lachlan ilias and let Adam reynolds go should had been sacked.

Fact is this. Demetriou loses tonight and against Easts [in both games he will be a distinct outsider] his coaching record will be below .500 that is he will have lost more games than won here in over 2 seasons. Plus the side regularly collapses in the last 20 minutes conceeding way too many points. There were rumours last season of trading/exchanging Demetriou with an English SL club coach. With the arrow pointing south, Demetriou has to be on a very short leash.
For the short term I would give Ben Hornby a shot and bring in Carr as his offsider. Hornby was a tough smart player and Carr showed last season he has aggression and energy in his short, very difficult stint at St George.

Bring back Sam Burgess