What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 RM Cup and Sydney Shield

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Was the hills team much different to the previous week, I would not have called their defense terrible in week1.
I think we might see a bit of that , a few teams hot and cold over diff weeks.

rightleftin

Juniors
Was the hills team much different to the previous week, I would not have called their defense terrible in week1.
I think we might see a bit of that , a few teams hot and cold over diff weeks.
Changes from Rd 1 - In - Sean Walpole (backed up later in RMC), Mitch Gardiner & Tom Watson in the forwards.
out - Moung Dut & Jedd Gordon played RMC and Dylan Marshall didnt play.

TigerDen

Juniors
Changes from Rd 1 - In - Sean Walpole (backed up later in RMC), Mitch Gardiner & Tom Watson in the forwards.
out - Moung Dut & Jedd Gordon played RMC and Dylan Marshall didnt play.
I think the Bulls are suffering from a lack of depth, retirements, player movements and the lack of quality coming from North Sydney are impacting both teams. It was only Dylan Marshall that kept their Shield side competitive against Glebe and their Massey team struggled. It should be remembered too, that Wenty had a number of changes to last week's teams, due to the unavailability of several Parramatta Cup players.

Broncos93

Juniors
I'm told as part of the BWSE/Mounties arrangement, only 5 players sent back from Blacktown will play each week. They'll be on a rotating basis. Must be hard to build team chemistry and for players to get match fitness when they're only playing a game every 2-3 weeks.

rightleftin

Juniors
I'm told as part of the BWSE/Mounties arrangement, only 5 players sent back from Blacktown will play each week. They'll be on a rotating basis. Must be hard to build team chemistry and for players to get match fitness when they're only playing a game every 2-3 weeks.
I admire Mounties for establishing a partnership but insisting that they will have the majority of the players each week, however, the 5 players does not sound correct. It appears that the first 2 rounds was something like this:

Rd 1 - Brad Abbey, Watson Heleta, Ben Seufale, Joe Tramontana, Aden Perry, Kayne Kalache & Haimona Hiroti
Rd 2 - Noel Akafolau, Bruce Ward, Ben Seufale, Aden Perry, Joe Tramontana, Jonah Ngaronoa

But I agree that some NSW Cup clubs with links to NRL clubs have squads that are too large.

Anton Iaria, who was listed as an acquisition by BWSE, is back playing with St Marys.

Last edited:
Don't know what the issue is with the Ryde team each week on the NSWRL Portal.

There team from Sunday's game with Glebe

7. Ryan Garner
17. Jay Kirk
3. Hymel Hunt
4. Steve Taupau Sako
5. Nick Mougias
6. Johnny Lee Gabrael
1. Curtis Wilson
8. Sione Tuipulotu
9. Jake Kusto
10. Samuel McGregor
11. Tyler Cassel
12. Tuarae Rawhiti
13. Raymond Maroun
Interchange
2. Anthony Raheb
14. Adam Rizk
15. Tim Johannssen
16. John Tuivaiti

Missing try scorer was Jay Kirk

rightleftin

Juniors
Don't know what the issue is with the Ryde team each week on the NSWRL Portal.

There team from Sunday's game with Glebe

7. Ryan Garner
17. Jay Kirk
3. Hymel Hunt
4. Steve Taupau Sako
5. Nick Mougias
6. Johnny Lee Gabrael
1. Curtis Wilson
8. Sione Tuipulotu
9. Jake Kusto
10. Samuel McGregor
11. Tyler Cassel
12. Tuarae Rawhiti
13. Raymond Maroun
Interchange
2. Anthony Raheb
14. Adam Rizk
15. Tim Johannssen
16. John Tuivaiti

Missing try scorer was Jay Kirk
John Tuivaiti back at Ryde Eastwood after spending the summer with BWSE.

Broncos93

Juniors
I admire Mounties for establishing a partnership but insisting that they will have the majority of the players each week, however, the 5 players does not sound correct. It appears that the first 2 rounds was something like this:

Rd 1 - Brad Abbey, Watson Heleta, Ben Seufale, Joe Tramontana, Aden Perry, Kayne Kalache & Haimona Hiroti
Rd 2 - Noel Akafolau, Bruce Ward, Ben Seufale, Aden Perry, Joe Tramontana, Jonah Ngaronoa

But I agree that some NSW Cup clubs with links to NRL clubs have squads that are too large.

Anton Iaria, who was listed as an acquisition by BWSE, is back playing with St Marys.

Yeah perhaps the 5 player figure was off the mark - though I was told Akaufolau and Ngaronoa were fit for round one but weren't selected due to the policy.

TigerDen

Juniors
After the recent discussions on the forum re the number of NSW Cup players returning to RMC. I would like to ask the group if there should be a cap on returning players for each game. Changes to the PPS system seems to have forced clubs into using more Jersey Flegg and local juniors in their Shield teams. Adding a player cap to RMC would then also encourage clubs into developing their Shield talent. Any thoughts?

rightleftin

Juniors
After the recent discussions on the forum re the number of NSW Cup players returning to RMC. I would like to ask the group if there should be a cap on returning players for each game. Changes to the PPS system seems to have forced clubs into using more Jersey Flegg and local juniors in their Shield teams. Adding a player cap to RMC would then also encourage clubs into developing their Shield talent. Any thoughts?
Are you a member of the NSWRL policy committee? - your proposal is exactly what the NSWRL attempted to implement 4 weeks ago but was met with universal opposition by the clubs. We certainly cant afford to see any further reductions in standards caused by further restrictions. It should be acknowledged that the players being fed back are in most instances, occasional NSW Cup players and in some cases those guys never play a game that grade, and in fact, some end up in Sydney Shield. If those NSW Cup clubs that sign too many players, did not do so, these guys would in probability be signed by RMC clubs and we would end up in the same position.

Every 2nd player registered with Junior Leagues in the 17-21 age group plays HM,Ball or Flegg so I dont think we need any more accommodation for junior players.

TigerDen

Juniors
Are you a member of the NSWRL policy committee? - your proposal is exactly what the NSWRL attempted to implement 4 weeks ago but was met with universal opposition by the clubs. We certainly cant afford to see any further reduction standards caused by further restrictions. It should be acknowledged that the players being fed back are in most instances, occasional NSW Cup players and in some cases those guys never play a game that grade, and in fact, some end up in Sydney Shield. If those NSW Cup clubs that sign too many players, did not do so, these guys would in probability be signed by RMC clubs and we would end up in the same position.

Every 2nd player registered with Junior Leagues in the 17-21 age group plays HM,Ball or Flegg so I dont think we need any more accommodation for junior players.
No I am not a member of the NSWRL Policy Committee and I take it by your response you want no restrictions on those NSW Cup players playing down. On you second comment, I think your statement that every 2nd player registered are rep players is pulling figures out of the air to support your argument. Do the maths!

rightleftin

Juniors
No I am not a member of the NSWRL Policy Committee and I take it by your response you want no restrictions on those NSW Cup players playing down. On you second comment, I think your statement that every 2nd player registered are rep players is pulling figures out of the air to support your argument. Do the maths!
There should be no restrictions on anything. 25 years ago I would turn up to watch Wenty vs Ryde Eastwood, and at least 25 players in the game had played some 1st Grade. But then a hooker from Group 6 that had coached a good schoolboy team at St Gregorys, gave the NSWRL a points system to remove all the experienced players to push his views that senior teams should be full of teenagers. The result is that the teams get weaker every year.

TigerDen

Juniors
There should be no restrictions on anything. 25 years ago I would turn up to watch Wenty vs Ryde Eastwood, and at least 25 players in the game had played some 1st Grade. But then a hooker from Group 6 that had coached a good schoolboy team at St Gregorys, gave the NSWRL a points system to remove all the experienced players to push his views that senior teams should be full of teenagers. The result is that the teams get weaker every year.
50 years ago I would go to Leichhardt Oval and watch 3 grades. Reserve and 3rd grade would be a mix of old heads and up and commers. I would have loved it to stay that way but times change and unlike you, I do not live in the past.

Broncos93

Juniors
50 years ago I would go to Leichhardt Oval and watch 3 grades. Reserve and 3rd grade would be a mix of old heads and up and commers. I would have loved it to stay that way but times change and unlike you, I do not live in the past.
Where do you propose these NSW Cup players go on the weekend when they're not picked for their Cup side?

To be honest I get really frustrated by policies which favor young players over older guys. If the youngsters were that good they'd be in a Cup/Flegg team already. I don't see why they should have any more right to a jersey than a 26-30 year old who juggles 3-4 days a week of football with a full-time job. At the end of the day they're both chasing the same dream.

TigerDen

Juniors
I don't propose anything, I simply asked a question and judging by the lack of response from other members of the forum, the subject is not of major interest. You have your opinions, I have mine, I think that's where this ends.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Where do you propose these NSW Cup players go on the weekend when they're not picked for their Cup side?

To be honest I get really frustrated by policies which favor young players over older guys. If the youngsters were that good they'd be in a Cup/Flegg team already. I don't see why they should have any more right to a jersey than a 26-30 year old who juggles 3-4 days a week of football with a full-time job. At the end of the day they're both chasing the same dream.

Thats close to the biggest problem. I often see decent older players missing out on games because kids from flegg squads are playing that are not good enough to be playing flegg and so are basically not very good

Butts74

Juniors
Any news on the games for this weekend ? Reckon they will can then if rain continues the way it’s going

Broncos93

Juniors
I don't propose anything, I simply asked a question and judging by the lack of response from other members of the forum, the subject is not of major interest. You have your opinions, I have mine, I think that's where this ends.

Was just interested to know mate. I respect your opinion, apologies if it came across otherwise.

Latest posts