What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

docbrown

Coach
Curious if there’s a comparative for Canterbury last year/2022 Crusaders going into their worst season since 96 vs Warriors coming off one of their best whether it’s a recent swing or a longer term trend.
similarlyHurricanes with their best start in a long time may have recently skewed a few more back to union in Wellington
Also noticed Chiefs in particular missing, probably won’t change a generally league friendly province like Taranaki but would likely eat into Waikato and BOP and maybe even some of HB/Gisbourne.
Moana Pasifika I don’t think has really made a dent which is a bit of a cautionary tale for those calling for a PI NRL team
I left off the Chiefs as you can only model 4 at a time and they were worse than the other 4 Super Rugby clubs. But so you can see I've included them here instead of the Auckland Blues.

Here's the 5 year trends:
1713183985715.png1713183928621.png
1713184042849.png
And the 5 year for Waikato in particular (Chiefs now red):
1713184237075.png

If you ignore that the NRL season goes for a few extra months, even when it's NRL vs Super Rugby seasons head to head, the Warriors (post covid) are holding their own over the rugby union clubs.

Here's this year so far in Waikato:
1713184426845.png

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Exactly, Union players can switch to League. You're very proud of your WA numbers.. and NZ has about 6 × the amount of players.. not including the ones that have come to Australia. Another NZ team would double that by pulling kids over from Union to around 12× WA and once established and Super Rugby fails that will explode to around 25× the amount of players in NZ to WA .. when you allow for the fact that Kiwis are 5× as suitable to Rugby league then West Australians.
Rough estimates would put NZ around 125× more likely to produce NRL quality players over WA .
Which astoundingly is far better than the current WA contribution of 0 .. meaning Currently NZ is INFINITE in it's ability to produce players compared with WA ...

Please return to your Perth/ Singapore/ Zimbabwe( places that have nothing to do with league)...thread.
we used to have 10k with 1million population. 24k from 5mill isnt exactly overwhelming. Good start though.
If only it were that simple, you are but it isnt lol

And youve missed the point of the thread with another perth derail, and the post accordingly. To suggest RL will take over RU when there are 160k v 24k players in NZ for the respective codes is delusional. Warriors, and hopefully Christchurch can be big clubs in NZ. But RL wont come anywhere near 'taking over' Union unless there is a major sporting cultural shift in the country.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Donkey and co - "PNG will produce thousands of players, they just haven't produced anything yet because they don't have a team"
Also donkey and co - "a state with no team having less players than an entire country with a team is proof that the state shouldn't have a team"
Its dumb, they are dumb, we feel dumb for having to read their sht.

Does it get any dumber than Perth Red claiming no one refers to American football as "gridiron"?

The governing body for the sport in Australia is Gridiron Australia, FFS.

A few years ago there was a proposed professional league called the National Gridiron League. One of the proposed teams was the Logan Wolverines.

Vlad59

Juniors
Lol at the 2 confirmed alts calling other people alts.

final say (gobsmacked) and vlad (pneuma) are the only 2 alts here until pippen returns.
You silly old bugger. In what world can people not leave a forum and come back under a new name if they choose to? You really are a reactionary aren’t you? Can’t handle change you poor sod. If a small issue like this causes you so much grief then take a break. And if you come back under a new name the sun will still rise in the morning old boy!

Vlad59

Juniors
I left off the Chiefs as you can only model 4 at a time and they were worse than the other 4 Super Rugby clubs. But so you can see I've included them here instead of the Auckland Blues.

View attachment 86653View attachment 86652
View attachment 86654
View attachment 86655

If you ignore that the NRL season goes for a few extra months, even when it's NRL vs Super Rugby seasons head to head, the Warriors (post covid) are holding their own over the rugby union clubs.

View attachment 86656
These graphs are illuminating to say the least. I’ve never seen this format before in relation to sport. Many thanks mate.

Dark Corner

Juniors
So true, and thats the point. NZ Rugby League is trending up and up and up.

But it is all about the Warriors, hence a second NZ team must come into the NRL to make sure there is a home game in NZ every week.

That would send Rugby League through the roof in NZ.
I know I will get a bollocking for this but do you see a future of having 1 code of Rugby and that Rugby looks more like Rugby League them the awful shite you see Rasies and others before him 10 man Saffas Rugby Union tactics.

I know I will get a bollocking for this but do you see a future of having 1 code of Rugby and that Rugby looks more like Rugby League them the awful shite you see Rasies and others before him 10 man Saffas Rugby Union tactics.
It's possible, but would require a few decades of exceptional circumstances to take place. My bet is rugby union continues to change its laws until it barely resembles the game it once was.

Wb1234

Referee

Wb1234

Referee

View attachment 86653View attachment 86652
View attachment 86654
View attachment 86655

View attachment 86656
@Perth Red imagine they could compare a Perth nrl side with the weagles or dockers

Wb1234

Referee
Nrl has nothing to gain

it will just continue crushing the life out of union in the South Pacific

personally the toffs that are sa and English union fans I would want nothing to do with them

France would be beneficial and Japan

Penrith fan

Juniors
If we could get the SAffas on board, it could work.

The problem is the SAffas are made up of whites from all over the world, blacks (many, many different tribes) the Dutch and the Boers.

They all hate each other and literally try to kill each other.

The only thing they all agree on and the only time they come together is for Rugby Union.

So they dont even care how shite the game is.

its the only time the country of South Africa actually comes together for anything.

Latest posts