What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Te'o cleared by police

Its not uncommon for people of all walks of life to be stood down from positions pending investigations.

You can stand someone down pending an investigation while also maintaining a presumption of innocence. The two are not mutually exclusive.

God you are dumb.

Firstly , it is uncommon for people to be stood down from a job pending a criminal investigation. Unless that criminal allegation directly relates to their job. Ie. workplace violence.

Secondly , everyday people don't have the profile of an NRL player. It will become common knowledge amongst potential jurors that he was stood down. This is prejudice.

dogslife

Coach
No it doesn't. Imagine a player starring in a grand final and winning the Dally M and then being convicted and jailed days or weeks later. It's an untenable situation.

Standing down or being stood down is a formality in many organisations in a situation like this. It does not mean the presumption of innocence is being ignored.
How would you know, you've never had a job

kurtburt

Juniors
Bit wierd she didn't lodge a police report in,anyway really sad look for the game if this comes out true.

ek999

First Grade
No it doesn't. Imagine a player starring in a grand final and winning the Dally M and then being convicted and jailed days or weeks later. It's an untenable situation.

Standing down or being stood down is a formality in many organisations in a situation like this. It does not mean the presumption of innocence is being ignored.

Imagine a player missing a grand final or missing out on a Dally M because they were stood down after wrongly being accused of assault.

murraymob

Coach
bunniesman what rubbish.The players are innocent and untill they get charged there is not one reason for them to be stood down.Once charged then yes as it would be a police matter and then a reason to stand down

That view point is taking the position that the NRL is somehow more important than the LAW. It's not.

The NRL has to take a back seat to this types of allegations.

The police & courts should handle them first.

Once they're done , it's the NRL's turn. Due f*cking process.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Even if found guilty i'd be very surprised if Souths sacked Te'o given they've previously signed a certain star player who admitted to an act of violence towards a woman. This player is the now the face of their club and they happily promote that.

But im a firm believer in innocent until proven guilty so given that Te'o has strongly denied the accusations then he should be allowed to continue playing IMO.

The woman should also be treated with a lot more respect that she currently has been. Calling her a 'groupie' etc is disgraceful. This 'she was asking for it' culture that has been shown to be prevalent during this thread is quite disgusting.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Imagine a player missing a grand final or missing out on a Dally M because they were stood down after wrongly being accused of assault.
I'd rather that alternative. It would be far less harmful to the comp then the other side of that coin.
bunniesman what rubbish.The players are innocent and untill they get charged there is not one reason for them to be stood down.Once charged then yes as it would be a police matter and then a reason to stand down
That's what I'm saying. I think I may have been misunderstood or mispoke. I meant if charged he should be stood down. That's the point I was trying to make about imagining a charged player starring in a GF and then being convicted and jailed.

bottle

Coach
I wish to make the following statement in relation to rumours circulating about an incident which occurred approximately one month ago in Brisbane.

I am making this statement on the understanding that a television network intends to broadcast a story this evening which does not give a true account of the incident.

I have not provided a statement to this network in response to the story.

I understand that the news story contains a claim by a female that I was involved in an altercation with her at a house in Brisbane.

I have not been informed of the exact nature of the news story, however I am able to refute entirely any suggestion that I acted improperly.

On the night in question, I found myself in unfortunate circumstances that were not caused by me and I acted appropriately to deal with a difficult situation.

I called the police to report the incident and have the female removed from the house.

I have not pressed charges against the female and to the best of my knowledge no charges have been laid against me.

I don’t wish to go into any further detail about this matter because I regard the incident as unfortunate and something I wish to leave behind me.

I have offered my co-operation to the Police, the NRL integrity unit, my Club and other authorities to ensure that this matter is dealt with in the appropriate way.

To this point I have not had any contact from the Police since their attendance at the house, and neither my management nor my Club have had any contact from the Police or the female at the centre of this news story.

Accordingly I have no further comment to make at this stage.

http://leagueunlimited.com/news/show/statement-from-ben-te-o/

They still shouldn't be stood down until after a trial.

If anything it makes them look more guilty by standing them down when they are charged.

Police get things wrong all the time.

Players are entitled to a fair trial that isn't prejudiced by the club or NRL involving itself in a criminal matter.

Brett Stewart was allowed to keep playing once charged. And he was accused of much worse.

magpie4ever

First Grade
God you are dumb.

Firstly , it is uncommon for people to be stood down from a job pending a criminal investigation. Unless that criminal allegation directly relates to their job. Ie. workplace violence.

Secondly , everyday people don't have the profile of an NRL player. It will become common knowledge amongst potential jurors that he was stood down. This is prejudice.

Bloody hell, man.

What do you believe he will be charged with, if at all?

It will be heard by a magistrate or a local court judge - it will not be a jury trial.

Latest posts