What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Te'o cleared by police

Everybody is entitled to be perceived as innocent until proven guilty. That some people don't have the decency to respect that is unsurprising.

A respect you clearly don't have , as you're calling for him to be stood down before he's found guilty.

That's called predjudice you clown. It makes him look guilty.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Wonder why it's taken so long for this to come out? If Police were called the matter should have been addressed by the Rabbitoh's straight away.

TheDalek079

Bench
If the police believe charges are warranted he should be stood down. If found not guilty he should be reinstated. If found guilty he should be banned for life. Pretty damn simple.

I don't agree with this.

A few years ago Jake Friend was charged with assaulting a girl. When the case got to court the following year the CCTV footage showed that Jake wasn't present when the girl was assaulted. If we use the BM idea then we would have been without Jake for half a season for no reason at all

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
A respect you clearly don't have , as you're calling for him to be stood down before he's found guilty.

That's called predjudice you clown. It makes him look guilty.

its not uncommon for players to be stood down pending an investigation

Innocent until proven guilty. That goes for Te'o and the girl who many have referred to by vulgar names today and last night.

Just relax. As much as I hate South's this damages the game the most, as it always does with this level of controversy.

carcharias

Immortal
I think it only fair the entire club and every man who has ever played for them gets dragged through the mire.
Regardless of any actual evidence.

Longy

Juniors
"The woman has spoken with police but has yet to lodge a formal complaint"

So why go to nine news.......

BunniesMan

Immortal
its not uncommon for players to be stood down pending an investigation
Its not uncommon for people of all walks of life to be stood down from positions pending investigations.

You can stand someone down pending an investigation while also maintaining a presumption of innocence. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Noname36

First Grade
Boyd..lol..is there a more frightened first grader than him? Why did he run from the house?

Do we know for sure it was Boyd that ran from the house? It wouldn't surprise me but it could have just as easily been Te'o following the alleged assault.

Also, 2 out of my 3 guesses of the players last night were completely off the mark.

The woman has spoken with police but has yet to lodge a formal complaint. No charges have yet been laid.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/woman-says-queensland-origin-and-former-broncos-player-ben-teo-assaulted-her-as-incident-reported-to-police/story-e6freoof-1226648294205

That's the most interesting part for mine.

Why go through the whole process of talking to Police and then not lay charges?

Especially if you are later going to go to the media with the allegations?

If you are going to allege an incident such as this and bring it to the attention of the world, you need to press charges first imo. Otherwise it smacks of trying to turn a nothing into a something via trial by media.

Serious enough to talk to channel nine, but not serious enough to go through the judicial system and actually test your allegations / give the defendant a chance to actually defend himself.

Last edited:

bottle

Coach
Being stood down (usually on full pay) whilst a matter is being investigated is not an uncommon practice in may areas of employment. It doesn't necessarily imply guilty until proven, it's a precautionary action to limit potential damage.

Not saying it's right, it's a matter of personal opinion. Just saying it is not uncommon.

Edit: I see several others have already made the same point, so nothing new to see here.

franklin2323

Immortal
"The woman has spoken with police but has yet to lodge a formal complaint"

So why go to nine news.......

That's my issue.

Teo may well be innocent. So was Inglis, Stewart and Bird yet they are tarred with the same brush. Sadly so will Teo wheras she can go back to her life as normal no matter the outcome

BunniesMan

Immortal
That doesn't make it right.

Standing him down clearly predjudices any potential trial.
No it doesn't. Imagine a player starring in a grand final and winning the Dally M and then being convicted and jailed days or weeks later. It's an untenable situation.

Standing down or being stood down is a formality in many organisations in a situation like this. It does not mean the presumption of innocence is being ignored.