What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach

Who should be our next coach

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
That's because the assistant coach's job isn't focused on man management or leadership. It's a purely technical position.

didn't see much technical ability in our players when Arthur was assistant here, our players looked horrible in all facets including the basics.

Jodeci

Bench
I was told by a former Parramatta great today that Brian Smith would get this Football General Manager position.

I think you will find that Tim Sheens will get this job.

The obvious choice is Smithy but the board won't appoint someone like him cause they will have no control over him.

I hope it is Smithy but I've heard from those close to him when Hadley went off a few weeks back regarding Smithy getting back into the club and even had Fitzy on air blowing up about both Taylor and Smith, the call was made to move away from Smithy.

Suitman

Post Whore
I think you will find that Tim Sheens will get this job.

The obvious choice is Smithy but the board won't appoint someone like him cause they will have no control over him.

I hope it is Smithy but I've heard from those close to him when Hadley went off a few weeks back regarding Smithy getting back into the club and even had Fitzy on air blowing up about both Taylor and Smith, the call was made to move away from Smithy.

Why? Because Hadley and Fitz were blowing deluxe? The Board went week kneed? That'll do me.
Bring on the summer football season. I'm so over this shit.

Suity

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/jason-taylor/story-fni3ga7r-1226735654460

Jason Taylor under the gun before even being appointed as new Parramatta Eels coach

Josh Massoud
The Daily Telegraph
October 10, 2013 12:00AM

AT SOME stage during the past 106 seasons, there might have been a coach appointed without the chairman's support.

But never before has the entire rugby league world known about it.

The man now tipped to become Parramatta’s new coach - Jason Taylor - will start the NRL’s toughest job in full knowledge that the club’s chairman Steve Sharp doesn’t want him.

Murmurs about the board’s full support for a coach generally start to rumble just before the trigger is pulled.

Yet the starting pistol on Taylor’s second coming at Parramatta is yet to be fired. And already he’s under the gun.

Only at Parramatta.

Prior to a board meeting on Tuesday night that was convened to appoint the new coach, Sharp publicly declared his support for rival candidate Brad Arthur and urged fellow directors who wanted Taylor to toe the line.

The move placed Sharp in an uncomfortable position.

Although Sharp knew other members of the five-man board were Taylor fans, he believed his seniority and stature as a premiership-winning forward would win the vote.

But when a show of hands for Arthur was called, only one other director stood by him.

Negotiations with Arthur were well advanced.

A salary in excess of $500,000 had been discussed. Senior players who had campaigned for their 2012 caretaker coach to return were convinced the board had listened.

The likes of Jarryd Hayne eagerly awaited a coach without baggage who understood them better, rather than someone fixed in their ways.

Then came Tuesday night’s ambush that’s left Sharp wondering where the next bomb will go off.

Sources involved in the long-running search for a new coach claim Sharp has been loudly dismissing Taylor throughout.

The chairman was not impressed with how Taylor’s only permanent head coaching role was terminated at Souths, amid a flurry of fists at the club’s 2008 Mad Monday celebrations.

Taylor is aware of Sharp’s coolness toward him, yet was still keen to take on the Eels job Wednesday. Not wanting to lose a second assistant coach, Roosters officials are resigned to him following Paul Green (Cowboys) out the door.

Taylor’s impending appointment will keep the focus on Parramatta’s backroom brawling. Likewise, should Arthur somehow recover to get the job, knowing that a majority of the board preferred someone else.

A coach who’s lost the board’s support before he even started? Only at Parramatta.

phantom eel

First Grade
Very dumb of Sharp to be playing the coach appointment through the media prior to the Board vote. What was there to gain through such a strategy?

If the majority of the Board choose one candidate over another, so be it. Just make the decision behind closed doors, announce it and (as a chairman who got outvoted) spin it like crazy if you personally have to, to sell a positive message for the club.

phantom eel

First Grade
We got Sharp coming out with this shit, we had Grothe getting on Twitter saying Kingston wasn't coming etc, then he was "hacked" by a mate when he said Hayne was off to the Dogs, then we have Kenny and Price in the papers like once a week having their say. Just STFU!!
Agreed. The Price and Kenny articles have been painful and unnecessary.

Anyone would think the pair weren't given any access to the club when they were elected and served as goddamn directors of the place! Just go and coach your local bush league sides guys, and get back to us when you've won some a string of premierships as coach.

Ollie Webb

Juniors

Sharp has displayed complete arrogance and disrespect towards the Board Members, Players, Staff and Members. To come out prior to a Board Meeting shows that he is not capable of representing the Club as a Chairman/Director and should step down immediately.

The Club is about to appoint a Coach who does not have the full support of the Board due to his incompetence and eagerness to be in the paper.

There are claims that he already told the other candidate that he had the job before other board members were given the respect of their input.... no different to the CEO appointment!

He has no more right or power than the other Directors.

I am not a voting member but to say "the members voted me as Chairman" is incorrect, my understanding is that members vote for Directors and then they appoint the Chair.

In addition we have a 5 person board when the Club's constitution is 7 and that's what the voting members voted for. Its 5 months since the election and there has been nothing but dribble and total disarray !!

BennyBoy

Juniors
Thats putting it nicely, do these blokes how stupid they look???

To be fair I haven't seen any of the other directors quoted in the press over this, seems Sharp has thrown the toys out of the cot in a huge dummy spit. Made a royal goose of himself.:crazy:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
To be fair I haven't seen any of the other directors quoted in the press over this, seems Sharp has thrown the toys out of the cot in a huge dummy spit. Made a royal goose of himself.:crazy:
He has made a rod for his back and has to go. Sign JT or Arthur and lets get on with turning this club around.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ort-taylor-sharp/story-fnca0von-1226735716939

Eels will support Taylor: Sharp
THE AUSTRALIAN OCTOBER 10, 2013 12:00AM

PARRAMATTA chairman Steve Sharp is adamant Jason Taylor will enjoy the full support of the board if he is appointed coach even though he hasn't given up hope of convincing other directors that Brad Arthur is still the man for the job.

Taylor could be appointed as early as today to bring an end to the feud that started when Ricky Stuart walked away from the Eels after one season of a three-year deal to coach Canberra.

Taylor was believed to have the numbers when the board met on Monday night but the appointment was put off, with Sharp believing that other directors should fall into line behind the chairman and accept his recommendation.

"I was quite disappointed," Sharp said yesterday. "The club needs to show unity and solidarity, and the mandate I received from the members when I got put in the position I'm in was because of the expertise that I have in football and what I could bring to the football side of things.

"If that's not recognised by other members of the board then that's a sad day in rugby league.

"But whoever takes on the coaching role will get the full support because the one thing I'm all about is the club.

"The one charter that myself and the deputy chair have adopted right from the start when we came in was, 'Club first, team second, individual third'."

Sharp would not be drawn on whether he would stand down as chairman if other directors continued to ignore his advice on Arthur but said the situation could be resolved today by a popular vote.

It is believed Monday's board meeting was attended by five directors of the six-person board with Taylor enjoying a 3-2 advantage.

The Eels' search for a coach has been a disaster, with Gold Coast coach John Cartwright rejecting an offer said to be almost double his salary at the Titans, while former North Queensland coach Neil Henry pulled out of the race despite being out of a job. "The board will resolve it," Sharp said, adding that it would be a popular vote.

"I believe that sort of coach (Arthur) is exactly what we need at the moment. (If it's Taylor) I don't have a choice. It will be because the board members have voted that way and I have to accept it. Hopefully it gets resolved for the Eels' sake and the league's sake."

Taylor got his initial break as a first-grade coach at the Eels when Brian Smith left the club in 2006. He was responsible for promoting Jarryd Hayne into first grade and coached the team to 10 wins from 16 games.

With the Eels already having signed Michael Hagan to replace Smith, Taylor was snapped up by South Sydney and in 2007 guided the club to its first finals appearance since 1989.

He was also responsible for luring to the club halfback Chris Sandow, who enjoyed the best form of his career at the Rabbitohs before switching to the Eels, where he has languished for the past two years.

Taylor was sacked from the position in 2009 after joining players in Mad Monday celebrations, which left him with a black eye after a punch-up with backrower David Fa'alogo.

Taylor found a new home at the Sydney Roosters as the club's Holden Cup coach before moving on to work as an assistant with Trent Robinson this season.

Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce has credited him with his end-of-season turnaround.

Arthur also had a taste of coaching first grade at the Eels after being called in to take over from Stephen Kearney when he was sacked last season. Arthur was in charge for six matches, winning two. He has currently been involved with Manly as an assistant coach

"Obviously they're both successful people on the football coaching side of things because they both participated in the grand final in assistant coaches roles," Sharp said

wow

just wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts