What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10488 Reasons to **** off c'town

ucantseeme

Juniors
I think games at Cambo should only ever be held on Sunday afternoon. People are probably too scared to be in that area after dark, locals included. If it was held on Sunday it would have drawn 15k easy.

I think 10,488 may be a fudged figure given how empty the hill looked.

Does the club still offer the season pass to traditional grounds only? eg. 3 @ Cambo or 3 @ LO. Or are they all 12 game passes?

Mish

Juniors
I drive to Campbelltown for the games, which I think is better if your trying to avoid being around certain types after dark. If you get to the game early you can park in the safety of the club carpark and have lunch there first.

I myself would avoid public transport there as you get some characters on the train afterwards, but at least it isn't a long walk to the ground from the station.

I don't like the place myself but I'm trying to be neutral and objective. Main thing is for me is keeping the traditional home venues supported.

super_coach

First Grade
Mish, you may not mind going to Cambo, but iam afraid the people of Cambo dont seem to want to go and thats the big worry. Maybe the new CEO should ask the people when they want to go to the football or why they dont want to go to the football

Mish

Juniors
I think Mothers Day was the thing blamed for the Sunday crowd at CS before.

ucantseeme

Juniors
So when was the last time the Tiges drew a packed crowd at Cambo?

Didn't they get 17k+ against Canberra last year?

Mish

Juniors
I'm not fussed about Mothers Day etc, our family is happy to see each other any time. I spent Easter in Townsville this year, kids got all their goodies from the Easter Bilby and saw me when I got home that evening. Everyone was happy.

Some families are more strict with these special days tho. Everyones priorities are different.

Can't see what the reason was for last weekends game tho, I really expected more people.

braz

Juniors
There is also that d1ckhead group in the corner of the concourse (next to where the old, large advertising board used to be) who sit there in their Wests gear and only chant "Magpies".

f**king w@nkers.

Every time I go to Leichardt, I see the exact reverse happen.

Heaps of blokes on the hill yelling out "Go Balmain" and singing the balmain team song after a win.

Don't see you whinging about that.

braz

Juniors
Gee the come up with some excuses for Cambo,I remember a few years ago it was mothers day now its the long weekend. Did all the folk of the south west head down to the caravan park at Port kembla. Probably 9000 of the crowd made the trip from tigertown.

I remember going to Leichardt oval a few years ago with a crowd of approx 4,000 on a saturday and the excuse offered on this and other forums was Italy was playing soccer in the world cup later that night.

matty-ducati

Juniors
I remember going to Leichardt oval a few years ago with a crowd of approx 4,000 on a saturday and the excuse offered on this and other forums was Italy was playing soccer in the world cup later that night.

In todays game there is no excuse with both traditional homes being starved of footy, what does it have to take for the home people of cambo to get out and goto the footy, enuf of the excuses, home loans; prices; weather; fuel prices; its all a joke absolute joke. The whole of Australia is feeling the same pressure, yet AFL still get 45000, LO still getting decent crowds, cambo needs to get off its ass and pull a decent crowd.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
A crowd 5648 turned out to watch the Tigers beat Melbourne, in very cold, gusty, wet conditions. That was the night Danny Williams did his cheap shot on Buckets. I was there at that game. This was in 2004.

The only other Tigers crowd at Leichhardt around 4000 on a Saturday night is:
4359 vs Northern Eagles in 2001

The next is from 1995.

Now from memory the soccer world cups were played in the years 1998, 2002 and 2006.

Thus, you must be talking bullsh*t.

braz

Juniors
A crowd 5648 turned out to watch the Tigers beat Melbourne, in very cold, gusty, wet conditions. That was the night Danny Williams did his cheap shot on Buckets. I was there at that game. This was in 2004.

The only other Tigers crowd at Leichhardt around 4000 on a Saturday night is:
4359 vs Northern Eagles in 2001

The next is from 1995.

Now from memory the soccer world cups were played in the years 1998, 2002 and 2006.

Thus, you must be talking bullsh*t.

Think it was 2002. It was definitely soccer fever used as the excuse.

Call it bullsh*t if you want, I sure as sh*t can't be bothered trying to find the statistics to prove it.

Call it bullsh*t if you want, I sure as sh*t can't be bothered trying to find the statistics to prove it.

2002 Tigers v Melbourne on a saturday arvo at Leichhardt in front of 5k. Fitzy had just cracked into the top grade and was playing fullback.

BTW people need to stop trawling for excuses and acknowledge that the decline in crowds at Campbelltown is a real problem. The club needs to seriously look at new marketing strategies to reinvigorate support in the Macarthur region.

First thing to note is that the composition of the crowds at Leichhardt and Campbelltown are completely different because of the geographical separation between the grounds. In other words, we could never expect that the entire 17k at Leichhardt a few Sundays ago would also attend home games at Campbelltown. However, there's no reason why the club couldn't draw 15k from the local area, in addition to others supporters who make their way from out of area.

Secondly, if the club is serious about tapping the younger market, it seems counter-intuitive to schedule matches on a Saturday night. The young ones attend with their parents, and Sunday would be more appropriate to encourage a family-atmosphere. In regards to the older teens, I assume that going to house parties or trekking into the city would take preference to a night at the footy. Of course, the luxury of Leichhardt is its proximity to the city, which makes it feasible to go to the footy and have a big one afterwards.

Thirdly, the club needs to schedule a Manly (or Parra/Dogs) home game for Campbelltown. The fact that we could equally draw a crowd of 20k at Leichhardt is irrelevant- Leichhardt crowds aren't the ones that are waning.

Over the last 3 years the approach has been to give Leichhardt two traditional rivals & an interstate side. On the other hand, Campbelltown is allocated a token Sydney side (Sharks) and two regional teams. The club must consider allocating a traditional rival for Campbelltown (once Stad de Aus has its f**king allotment of games) and marketing the hell out of the game in the lead up. As an example, the Silvertails v Fibros rivalry was one of the most enduring memories of late-70s footy, yet the Tigers have continually failed to embrace this history (or exploit it for profits!) by not scheduling a Manly v WT game at Campbelltown... doesn't make too much sense?

It will be interesting to see how the club divides home games for next year with the possible addition of further home grounds- Gosford/ SCG. As a rule of thumb, the concrete sh*thole lis allocated most Sydney side in the top 8 + any other side that will be likely to draw a crowd IRRESPECTIVE of the expediency of playing that team at one of the traditional home venues (Manly and Penrith in past yrs). Once Stad de Aus has scrapped off the cream it is left for the traditional venues to fight for the dregs.

Last edited:

Mish

Juniors
Hodgo loves talking about Leichhardt. He is a big fan of the place, as are many of the boys.

In fairness at the presso in Campbelltown he also mentioned he likes coming back to Campbelltown too.

You never hear them say a good word about ANZ tho, not ever. Has anyone ever heard them say a thing about how its good to be at ANZ? hahaha nope. I hear them say they don't like it. Nobody likes it there.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

the 2002 game against Melbourne was at 3pm, and drew 5287

so it wasn't at night and it was more than 4000

matty-ducati

Juniors
Hodgo loves talking about Leichhardt. He is a big fan of the place, as are many of the boys.

In fairness at the presso in Campbelltown he also mentioned he likes coming back to Campbelltown too.

You never hear them say a good word about ANZ tho, not ever. Has anyone ever heard them say a thing about how its good to be at ANZ? hahaha nope. I hear them say they don't like it. Nobody likes it there.

hahaha because it pays the wages