What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'12 | R22 | Fri | Roosters 26-10 Dragons | Allianz

Round 22 result: Dragons v Roosters

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It wasn't the other way around. :?

And what payback? :?

blacklock

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ces-men-go-down-in-flames-20120803-23lfc.html

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA coach Steve Price won't have a lot to argue about when he approaches referees boss Bill Harrigan about the contentious try awarded to Mitchell Pearce that sunk the Dragons last night.
Before Roosters winger Roger Tuivasa-Sheck put Pearce into open space, the 19-year-old slipped in his own in-goal area and clearly grounded the ball.
Up until last season, that would've forced the Roosters into a goal-line dropout, but the rules changed at the start of 2011.
Accidental grounding of the ball no longer constitutes a goal-line dropout, hence the referees' refusal to send the decision up to the video referee. But Price was mystified by the decision of the two referees not to award a goal-line dropout with the Dragons trailing 14-10, ending their hopes of a from-behind win.
Advertisement
''At 14-10 we get a kick into the in-goal line, which I'll have to have a look at, then they run 100 metres and score,'' Price said.
''I felt we were getting all the momentum at that stage and they get a runaway [try]. He touched the ground twice. It's something I'll need to have a look at and review it and speak to Bill and Stuart.''
Not even veteran Dragons skipper Ben Hornby, who pleaded with the referee to send it upstairs, was aware the rule had been changed.
''I asked what the rule was, too, to be honest,'' Hornby said. ''I didn't know what the rule was either. He said it was play on, so what could I do? There was not much I could do.''
Roosters coach Brian Smith conceded the ball was grounded by Tuivasa-Sheck, but unknowingly urged the game's officials to consider changing the rule 18 months after they'd already done so.
''I think he did ground the ball but I personally have an issue with that anyway,'' Smith said. ''When you accidentally ground the ball like that … for Ben Barba or Roger Tuivasa-Sheck or whoever, we're actually taking something out of game when we don't let those guys get up and attack from there.
''Anyway, all that's garbage to what the boys did out there tonight. It was fantastic.''
The 16-point loss has raised further uncertainty around the Dragons' No.6 jersey, with Jamie Soward today rolling out for the Illawarra Cutters in the NSW Cup against Mounties at WIN Stadium.
Nathan Fien's kicking game was first class in Soward's absence last night, but the Dragons lacked the spark in attack needed to challenge for a top-eight berth.
Price, who will be a keen onlooker at WIN Stadium today, refused to elaborate on Soward's future.
''I'll be definitely going to watch Jamie tomorrow,'' he said. ''I don't want to add any more speculation. There's been enough said about Jimmy. ''The two of us know what's most important, and I think we'll just leave it at that''
St George Illawarra were a shadow of the team that rattled the Melbourne Storm seven days earlier, only penetrating the rock-solid Roosters defence when down to 12 men.
Price was critical of his side's execution, having had enough opportunities to win the game. ''They were there to be beaten, but through our lack of execution at times … we had two forward passes that could've led to tries if we executed properly,'' Price said.

Geohood

Bench
The WORST part of the RTS no-grounding call? I was close enough to hear Cecchin give a brief blow on the whistle. The Dragons seemed to play to it and as a result RTS was able to get away and leave the defence scrambling.

And of course, the referees, despite doubt at the start of the play, never used the VR for it?

Moronic, embarrassing, inept. Cecchin and his offsider should be gone.

RTS was able to get away and leave the defence scrambling because of his killer step.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
He fell over. He didn't exert any downward pressure on it. The defence had barely even reached the in-goal even after slipping. Why the hell would he ground it when he had the time to get up and go for a run? It makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited:

Geohood

Bench
My common sense says that it should be play on but I think it is still a grounding even if accidental.. Just another grey area of the game now.

Still though, what he did after that was awesome. Blink and he's gone!!

RWB

Bench
As a Rugby League fan (and I think the majority of Rugby League fans would agree) I think that should be play on.

However we've seen people slip in goal before and it's been ruled as grounding the ball, I think it's a rule that needs to be changed... there needs to be intent to ground the ball imo.

blacklock

Juniors
As a Rugby League fan (and I think the majority of Rugby League fans would agree) I think that should be play on.

However we've seen people slip in goal before and it's been ruled as grounding the ball, I think it's a rule that needs to be changed... there needs to be intent to ground the ball imo.
that is the current rule already. accidental grounding ie a slip, is no grounding at all. its different when a player slips and the defense is basically standing over them with a hand on them or almost scoring a try by forcing the ball.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
The WORST part of the RTS no-grounding call? I was close enough to hear Cecchin give a brief blow on the whistle. The Dragons seemed to play to it and as a result RTS was able to get away and leave the defence scrambling.

And of course, the referees, despite doubt at the start of the play, never used the VR for it?

Moronic, embarrassing, inept. Cecchin and his offsider should be gone.

sums up your contribution to this thread..

RWB

Bench
that is the current rule already. accidental grounding ie a slip, is no grounding at all. its different when a player slips and the defense is basically standing over them with a hand on them or almost scoring a try by forcing the ball.

Indeed, just had a chat with a mate who refs in the NSW Cup and he said they were right to call it play on.

Geez don't Steve Price, Timmah & myself look like dickheads!

Timmah

Staff member
I don't give a shit what the referees said.

I grew up with that being a grounded ball in-goal and line drop out.

Of course Easts fans are going to say "it looked like play on to me".

skeepe

Immortal
I don't give a shit what the referees said.

I grew up with that being a grounded ball in-goal and line drop out.

Of course Easts fans are going to say "it looked like play on to me".

Given that the rules changed just last year, it makes sense that what you grew up with was different to what actually occurred.

You play to the rules of the day, and if those are now the rules then what happened while you were growing up has absolutely zero relevance to last night's match.

I mean, are you really that f**king dumb that that has to be explained to you?

Timmah

Staff member
I'm saying if that rule change came into being in recent seasons, then it's f**king moronic. The ball being grounded is the ball being grounded, accidental or not.

skeepe

Immortal
I'm saying if that rule change came into being in recent seasons, then it's f**king moronic. The ball being grounded is the ball being grounded, accidental or not.

I agree with you, but the rules are the rules.

I'd be interested to know if this is a rule that applies to all levels, or yet another NRL-only rule like the quick 20 metre tap.

Scorpio30

Bench
You could guarantee that if he ran two meters and lost control of the ball and the Dragons scored that they would come back to say he grounded the ball....twice.