What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15,000 sold for Wembley

gutterfax

First Grade
28,000 sold so far, Wembley is gonna look ridiculously empty!
I don't get the RFL?
Wembley should and could have been filled, but as usual, they make a decision and then expect people to just roll up :crazy:

I would have done it at a tenner a ticket pre-booked and 20 quid on the gate......that would have seen them have to open the top tier, but as it is, they won't open it until all 33,000 seats in the bottom are sold.....and there are about 5,000 of those...starting at 45 notes. :shock:

I have also heard that England v Wales isn't full yet.....WTF?

nadera78

Juniors
A couple of posters have been spotted on the underground, which is an unexpected but very welcome attempt at marketing.

PaulyTom

Juniors
I think they are doing well. You have to be realistic. The NFL are struggling to hit expectations and will be far from a sell out when they play.

Any one who has been to England in the past 2 years will tell you that they are going through a terrible recession. I could not believe how bad it has got over there. All my old favorite pubs were closing, stores boarded up and people just don't have the disposable income they once had.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
I think they are doing well. You have to be realistic. The NFL are struggling to hit expectations and will be far from a sell out when they play.

Difference is that in the NFL we dont have a massive fan base over here and are still expecting 75k. Not to mention my ticket for the 2nd row of the top tier cost £80 with tickets for the game as high as £150. Plus the Tickets actually only came on sale a month ago.

After the hype of the possible crowd for the double header I was very disapointed to see only 28k being sold. I can't see them breaking the 40k mark but it could happen. I was told the day before the Grand Final from a friend who works in the RFL that they had only sold 59k for the game, yet almost 70k were there the day after. In the UK walk up crowds are a big part of RL, especially if it is obvious that there wont be a sell out. Whether this will be the case for the Double header though I dont know. It's not like Wembley is just around the corner for most fans.

nadera78

Juniors
Difference is that in the NFL we dont have a massive fan base over here and are still expecting 75k. Not to mention my ticket for the 2nd row of the top tier cost £80 with tickets for the game as high as £150. Plus the Tickets actually only came on sale a month ago.

Yeah, but pretty much every American Football fan in the UK, and some from other European countries, will be going to the game.

nadera78

Juniors
that really should have been the first marketing ploy

True, but when GB played in London (2006-ish?) there was zero marketing. And the RFL never do anything for the Challenge Cup even though it's played at Wembley. That's why I was surprised to see some posters going up.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Yeah, but pretty much every American Football fan in the UK, and some from other European countries, will be going to the game.

You'd be surprised. There's loads not going this year because of the short notice to get funds sorted for the game. The lockout killed any chances of a sellout because we didnt even know there would be a season until August. Normally the tickets go on sale in Feb so you have plenty of time to save for the high ticket prices and a weekend in London... this time, not so much.

ali

Bench
You including my dozen in that lot? Thief!

btw a couple of the lads are interested in paying tag. They've already looked at your website but I'll point them in your direction at the game.

Maybe ;-). We'll hopefully circulate plans for ticket distribution and pre game drinks etc later in the week. Heaps of RL virgins in our group including some interesting nationalities. Really looking forward to it.

Where were the posters on the underground? I'd be very interested to know which stations they chose, given we did some advertising on the tube over the summer ourselves, so I'd like to think I've got a fair idea which areas may or may not work.

undertaker

Coach
The double header will be the first time since 1997 that 'international RL' has been played at Wembley (I didn't use the word "test" since that '97 SL test isn't recognised as an official test match by the ARL). We've had to wait 14 yrs since then. It'd be a massive shame if the ground was less than half full (45000), and this subsequently led to the RFL shafting Wembley for goodness knows how many more years. For me, barring bad weather, 45000-50000 should be the absolute minimum for this occasion and anything more than that is a huge bonus. Hopefully this will lead to more matches at Wembley (the next one should be the 2013 RLWC opener between England and Australia, since they are drawn in the same group for the WC). And no, my expectations are not high. I'm not expecting us to get 80,000 that the Challenge Cup Final usually gets, because the CC is a prestigious event with more than 100 years of history. Not to mention that 15000 of the 90000 seats are for the reserved corporates, nearly all of whom would only turn up for the soccer.

On the topic of Australia vs England/Great Britain matches in London, the last time this occured was back in the 2000 RLWC. I believe all other Australia vs England/Great Britain since then have been held in the north of England. Despite the fact that the 2000 RLWC was an absolute disaster (both financially and weatherwise), the lacklustre England/Australia opening match at Twickenham still got 32000 ppl. I'd love to think that with the vast improvement in international RL since then, that we'd get a lot more than 32000 in a fortnight or so time at Wembley

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
and the last few internationals at Wembley have yielded the following attendances between Australia and England/Great Britain (to give you guys an idea of what we could get):

1997 SL test: 41,135
1995 RLWC Final: 66,540
1995 RLWC group match: 41,271
1994 Kangaroos tour: 57,034
1992 RLWC final 73,761
1990 Kangaroos tour: 52,274

PaulyTom

Juniors
There will be a good crowd there. Anything over 40K would be deemed a success. A England win would start to build something for the future. A lot of hard work on grass roots by London Rugby League will continue in years to come. Unfortunately it has not translated to crowd figures for Harlequins.