What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 teams vying for Super League licenses

Good stuff!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/super_league/7093439.stm

Eighteen 'want Super League spot'

_41673818_super_league_n_203.gif

The Rugby Football League expects 18 applications for up to 14 three-year Super League licences in a franchise system that will be introduced in 2009.
Clubs have until the end of January to make applications, with Toulouse and Celtic Crusaders definite bidders.
Salford, who were relegated this year, and Widnes are also certain to be among the National League applicants.
Final decisions will be made in June or July, with an expansion from 12 clubs dependent on an increase in TV revenue.
The current Sky contract expires in 12 months but RFL executive chairman Richard Lewis sounded optimistic, saying "I think we will deliver 14 clubs."
Promotion and relegation will not apply in 2008 but a National League team is guaranteed a Super League licence when they next come up for review in 2012.
This would either be at the expense of a relegated team or as a result of further expansion.
Three grades of membership are proposed for existing Super League clubs, based on both off and on the field criteria.
Assessments will be completed and made public next year, with the bottom tier teams in danger of relegation.
o.gif

The RFL's new chief executive Nigel Wood said that in four years' time, Super League will be opened up to the most successful National League club and that no limit would be imposed on the number of teams in the top flight.

To qualify for promotion, a club must have contested at least one National League Grand Final in the previous three-year period, and then meet the normal criteria for Super League membership. There are also plans to increase prize money for the National League champions to provide a further incentive for clubs outside the elite.

bartman

Immortal
18 applicants huh?

12 current super league clubs +
Salford
three of Halifax?/Widnes?/Leigh?/Whitehaven?
Celtic Crusaders
Toulouse

May the best 14 win...

bartman

Immortal
I'd imagine Salford, Toulouse, and Celtic Crusaders have the inside running out of any non-SL applicants, the others might be dreaming a bit under current circumstances?

I'm willing on Toulouse.

I'd love to see CC in too.

However I think having Toulouse should be the priority. 2 professional teams in France would really announce them as the next big nation in RL. Then we can focus on developing the home nations such as Wales.

westie

Bench
Salford to represent the Mancs. One of Wakey or Cas to drop. HKR seem to be establishing themselves too strongly to kick em out.

roopy

Referee
I'm still praying for a Russian billionaire or Barcelona deciding that an ESL franchise would be great value, but barring that, Toulouse and CC are the go.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
griff said:
there was some talk of Bennetton Treviso being in the running for a licence

They were a RL team originally weren't they?

What other clubs over there that still play union were originally RL clubs, I can never find out anything about those clubs?

bartman

Immortal
I thought the franchise decisions were due mid-next year, if that's the meeting you're talking about?

bartman said:
I thought the franchise decisions were due mid-next year, if that's the meeting you're talking about?
I was under the impression RFL member clubs were voting on whether franchising would be a goer first. That was meant to happen overnight from what I understand, unless I missed something.

nadera78

Juniors
I think Salford and Crusaders will be the two to get the go-ahead. I think it's, unfortunately, a bit early for a 2nd French club to come in. If you leave out Salford then you miss out on a massive population, and a fantastic new stadium that's on it's way. Plus the welsh a near-on certainties to get in, especially if Richard Lewis wants to further the international side with pro a Welsh team.

I think that when the league expands again in 2012 then Toulouse and another English club will come in.

SouthsvsNRL

Juniors
Definite -

Wigan
Bradford
St Helens
Hull
Leeds
Warrington

Almost Certain-

London
Catalan
Huddesfield

Strong Chance-
Toulouse
Welsh Crusaders

On the edge-
Salford
Wakefield
Salford
Hull KR
Castleford

Battling for recognition/unlikely-
A cumbria side....
Widnes - Currently Bankrupt
Leigh

Should be interesting...... Who do u think will get in??????

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
There is a good discussion at rlfans on the topic. One has mentioned Sheffield Eagles as a possible applicant, just hypothesising. It would be a good show of ambition from any club to apply, even knowing full well that they might not be a chance.

Salford and Celtic are the obvious choices. But what is Celtic's stadium like now? I can't imagine it is up to SL standards.

bowes

Juniors
the applicants outside of SL are Salford, Widnes, Leigh, Crusaders, Toulouse and 1 other. I think the one other is actually Featherstone but it's definitely not Whitehaven, and don't think it's Halifax though they're a possibility