What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Stop it

let the dolphins have ten years to really reach their potential then Brisbane 3 comes in

png is more of a rugby league heartland then nsw or qld

Christchurch won’t be a dot in a map either
I don't have a problem with Dolphins being given a decade. What I object to is people on here saying Brisbane Tigers shouldn't get any of the next three licences.

PNG loves RL, but it's not in the same league as Queensland and NSW.

France probably has more registered players than PNG.

Wb1234

Referee
I don't have a problem with Dolphins being given a decade. What I object to is people on here saying Brisbane Tigers shouldn't get any of the next three licences.

PNG loved RL, but it's not in the same league as Queensland and NSW.

Since the warriors came in look how many nrl players are now from nz

and png is 3 to 4 times the size

The average nrl wage is like a fortune for anyone in png

all those poor kids who already love league will be busting a gut to get that cash

all those poor kids who already love league will be busting a gut to get that cash
Polynesians are perfectly built for rugby league. There's plenty of New Zealanders living in Australia, too.

Papuans are much smaller the Melanesians from Fiji.

The Hunters haven't done anything for junior development in PNG.

Chris Reid

Juniors

5 or 6 times Wally🤣🤣 you name it it is what it is big fella

Vlad59

Juniors
5 or 6 times Wally🤣🤣 you name it it is what it is big fella
My fondest memory of you was when you used multiple ids on the Roar during the World Cup, forgot to change over and heartily agreed with yourself under the same name. That had us all in stitches. Even funnier than the fake international game attendance. Wrong suburb bro! That was hilarious!

Chris Reid

Juniors
My fondest memory of you was when you used multiple ids on the Roar during the World Cup, forgot to change over and heartily agreed with yourself under the same name. That had us all in stitches. Even funnier than the fake international game attendance. Wrong suburb bro! That was hilarious!
Wasn't your fondest memory an "international" Rugby League game that wasn't played ther or something? I'm guessing western Sydney..

Colk

First Grade
I like Aussie humour because I'm an Aussie. Yankee doodle humour is cringeworthy and doesn't make me laugh.

I like the mixture of distorted guitar ryths and sympathiser in Gothic metal and doom metal. It isn't too loud and fast tempo like heavy metal, which gives me a headache. I find the slower rhythm of Gothic metal and doom metal mesmerising and relaxing.

You're entitled to listen to more easy listening music. I'm not completely against easy listening, FWIW. There's just too much of it in Australia and no variety. I'm a huge John Williamson fan. Sadly, not many people my age listen to John Williamson because he's not a loud mouth try hard Yankee doodle with a wanker haircut.

I could think of a few other reasons why people don’t listen to John Williamson. See how everything is just a taste. I f***** hate country music in all of its forms because I think it is literally f****** s***. You can disagree. Folk is where I would draw the line.

On Housos or whatever, it’s ok but it’s not great in my opinion and only liking it because of where it comes from is exactly what you’re accusing other people of doing.

Do you not see the irony in any of this?

Santino Patane

Juniors
Can you stop telling born and bred Queenslanders to think just like you?

I'm not the only rugby league fan from southern Brisbane who views the Broncos as a team from northern Brisbane. The other day I saw a person in the comments section of an article in The Courier Mail saying just what I'm saying. He went one step further and said Brisbane only has one club because the Dolphins are from Moreton Bay. You can laugh all you like, but that's how people from SEQ think. You're not going to change the way he and I think. Constantly telling us we have three teams in SEQ doesn't change the fact that southern Brisbane isn't northern Brisbane. Nor is it the Gold Coast. It would be as dumb as saying you can get rid of five Sydney clubs because there will still be four left and expect everyone to be happy.

It also doesn't change the fact that out of all the bids, the only one that has the infrastructure, money, history and embedded communal support to thrive from day one in the NRL is the Brisbane Tiger. Despite this fact, there are idiots on here saying we should keep them out and fast track bids from locations that lack all of this. Apparently clubs don't need to be financially viable anymore. Nor do they need to have the infrastructure needed to compete with the other clubs. They just need to be from non-RL locations because a few snobby wankers on LU are insecure about the game's footprint.
Born and and bred Southsider here (admittedly primary school on the Sunny Coast but Mt Gravatt and Beenleigh for the rest of my life). The Broncos have always represented south of the river. Yes, their clubhouse is in Red Hill, but from 1988 the Broncos always did their thing just as much down here as anywhere else.

I get your schtick Donkeys, but this run is disingenuous and flat out incorrect. Yep, a handful around the southside might agree with you, but it would be a tiny minority- probably irrelevant.
Brisbane deserves another team, I’m totally with you there, but it shouldn’t be until #20 IMO. Just don’t play small opinions as facts when it’s clearly false

Colk

First Grade
You're speaking shit.

There's no demand for a second NZ team. The one they've got makes less money than every club bar the lowly Sea Eagles. The two richest rugby league clubs in the world are from Brisbane. It's patently obvious that there's demand for Brisbane 3 but virtually none for NZ2. If you introduced a second NZ team then it would eat into the bandwagon support that the Warriors are riding. That's not a good thing for a club that's second last in the NRL for revenue from football operations.

Have the NZ broadcasters said they want a second team?

A few years ago it was reported by Colin Smith that they aren't interested.

What happened to the big bid launch in Las Vegas by the South Island bid?

Weren't they begging for financial assistance on Facebook?

I think you are to be frank. It’s tiresome hearing you crap on every bid that isn’t another Brisbane side; something you also accuse Perth Red of doing.

I would say that increasing TV audience numbers and the fact that every one of their games are sold out (or at least close to) suggests that there is at least a potential demand there. Couple that with a significant percentage of players coming from NZ than you can also increase the player pool which is a massive benefit.

It might or might not work but seriously you actually have to grow the game sometimes and attract new participants and viewers etc. That’s how business and sport operate otherwise the EPL would just have teams from London; or American sports competitions would just have teams from NY or LA.

Putting another team in Brisbane isn’t really a need. It would work and it is a good idea a decade down the line but again you are just getting the same audience you already have.

Colk

First Grade
You cannot expect rugby league fans from southern Brisbane to prioritise dots on map expansion in Perth, Port Moresby and Christchurch over a southern Brisbane team when no one from Sydney would give up their neck of the woods for these regions.

Many of the Sydney RL fans on here are trying to turn this into an opportunity to bring back the Newtown Jets and North Sydney Bears because they want more NSWRL teams.

Yet they object to Brisbane having a third?
Can you stop telling born and bred Queenslanders to think just like you?

I'm not the only rugby league fan from southern Brisbane who views the Broncos as a team from northern Brisbane. The other day I saw a person in the comments section of an article in The Courier Mail saying just what I'm saying. He went one step further and said Brisbane only has one club because the Dolphins are from Moreton Bay. You can laugh all you like, but that's how people from SEQ think. You're not going to change the way he and I think. Constantly telling us we have three teams in SEQ doesn't change the fact that southern Brisbane isn't northern Brisbane. Nor is it the Gold Coast. It would be as dumb as saying you can get rid of five Sydney clubs because there will still be four left and expect everyone to be happy.

It also doesn't change the fact that out of all the bids, the only one that has the infrastructure, money, history and embedded communal support to thrive from day one in the NRL is the Brisbane Tiger. Despite this fact, there are idiots on here saying we should keep them out and fast track bids from locations that lack all of this. Apparently clubs don't need to be financially viable anymore. Nor do they need to have the infrastructure needed to compete with the other clubs. They just need to be from non-RL locations because a few snobby wankers on LU are insecure about the game's footprint.

Who says I’m telling them to think like me. I am just stating a fact that there are three teams from SE QLD and that they have options that other areas don’t.

Also I’m sure that there are people who think like you (although I would probably bring up more than the one bloke in the daily rag) There might be others who want to return to a seperate Brisbane RL comp for all I know. There might be others in SEQ who agree with me and don’t see the need for another side (just yet). Heck there might even be others who think that 3 is enough. Who knows?

Nevertheless, all I could say is if these people want another QLD side, they might want to show a bit more desperation .

Colk

First Grade

PNG loves RL, but it's not in the same league as Queensland and NSW.

Who is saying this? I would say that most people are saying that another Brisbane side should be one of the next three. They might have different combinations of the next three but for me I wouldn’t go with PNG

Nevertheless, it will be what it will be.

blue bags

First Grade
You're speaking shit.

There's no demand for a second NZ team. The one they've got makes less money than every club bar the lowly Sea Eagles. The two richest rugby league clubs in the world are from Brisbane. It's patently obvious that there's demand for Brisbane 3 but virtually none for NZ2. If you introduced a second NZ team then it would eat into the bandwagon support that the Warriors are riding. That's not a good thing for a club that's second last in the NRL for revenue from football operations.

Have the NZ broadcasters said they want a second team?

A few years ago it was reported by Colin Smith that they aren't interested.

What happened to the big bid launch in Las Vegas by the South Island bid?

Weren't they begging for financial assistance on Facebook?
NZ south island is entitled to an NRL franchise
Cause it's an island 🤡

Alfie langer says hello

Xavier Coates he’s a midget
How many rugby league players are 5'5"?

Are there any middle forwards standing at 5'5"?

Realistically, a person standing 5'5" is probably limited to playing halfback, five-eighth or dummy half. If they're really fast and stocky then they might be able to play wing. Put them in the middle and they'll get monstered. A 5'5" dummy half, halfback or five-eight will be worked over in defence by the forwards.

Thurston was about 5'10 and got worked over in defence.

I could think of a few other reasons why people don’t listen to John Williamson. See how everything is just a taste. I f***** hate country music in all of its forms because I think it is literally f****** s***. You can disagree. Folk is where I would draw the line.

On Housos or whatever, it’s ok but it’s not great in my opinion and only liking it because of where it comes from is exactly what you’re accusing other people of doing.

Do you not see the irony in any of this?
John Williamson's music is anything but stereotypical country. Songs like "This is Australia Calling", "Raining on the Rock", "Pigs on the River" and "Goondiwindi Pork" are more like contemporary music. Nothing like the stereotypical country sound of Lee Kernaghan or Slim Dusty.

As a kid I loved listening to John Williamson because he sang about the things that make Australia great. The country. The people who made this country. The wildlife. I still love listening to his songs. I first heard him sing at the 1994 NSWRL grand final. I bought his album when I went into the city with my mum in 1995. On there was a song about Alfie Langer playing at Lang Park for Queensland. It's title was "Nobody Knows Brisbane Like Jesus".

I think it's sad that people aren't interested in the culture of their country. I'm not saying people should be blindly patriotic. It's just sad that people know more about a country from the other side of the world.

I like Housos because I can relate with Aussie humour. I don't find Americahumour funny.

Can you honestly say you've ever laughed at a Jerry Seinfeld joke?

Seinfeld is boring as shit.

The only American who makes me laugh is Eddie Murphy. The stuff he did in the 80s was hilarious, but wouldn't be allowed today.

Wb1234

Referee
How many rugby league players are 5'5"?

Are there any middle forwards standing at 5'5"?

Realistically, a person standing 5'5" is probably limited to playing halfback, five-eighth or dummy half. If they're really fast and stocky then they might be able to play wing. Put them in the middle and they'll get monstered. A 5'5" dummy half, halfback or five-eight will be worked over in defence by the forwards.

Thurston was about 5'10 and got worked over in defence.
That team of midgets beat Fiji and Great Britain

out of 17 million people they will have one or two people over five five

Who is saying this? I would say that most people are saying that another Brisbane side should be one of the next three. They might have different combinations of the next three but for me I wouldn’t go with PNG

Nevertheless, it will be what it will be.
Numerous people on here have listed Perth, Christchurch and PNG as their next three teams.

Despite all of the shit I've said about Perth, I'd be happy if the next three teams were Perth, Christchurch and Brisbane Tigers. However, I don't buy the bullshit hype that's prevalent on here about Perth and NZ2 being juggernauts. I think they'll be small teams that end up struggling to carve out a niche in difficult markets.

I was happy with NZ2, Brisbane Tigers and NZ3 until that article on club finances was released. I was surprised to learn that the Warriors made just $11.6m from football operations last year. That's not an attempt to shit on the Christchurch bid, either. It's just pointing out the obvious that if a team from New Zealand's only large city pulls just $11.6m in a year when they're hot all around the country -- after having almost 30 years to grow their fanbase -- then questions need to be asked about a new team in a city with a population of just 300k.

It might be unpopular, but I'm beginning to think the ARLC should keep the NRL at 17 teams until 2032, then bring in the Brisbane Tigers. I have grave concerns over Perth's ability to draw 15k and generate more than $12m from football operations. The Western Force are a basket case, despite having Twiggy Forrest and a player base that's three times the size of the NRLWA. Sadly, no one on here wants to acknowledge these facts because they're biased code warriors who cannot concede that rugby league isn't perfect and rugby union ain't the devil. If the game does follow the lunatics on here and goes with PNG, Perth and Christchurch then it's only a matter of time until it falls over and costs them a fortune.