What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

That team of midgets beat Fiji and Great Britain

out of 17 million people they will have one or two people over five five
That team also got its arse kicked by England at the World Cup and has never progressed beyond the quarter finals. A few of its players were Australians, like the Laybutt brothers and the blonde bloke with long dreadlocks who played prop for Burleigh Bears.

Wb1234

Referee
That team also got its arse kicked by England at the World Cup and has never progressed beyond the quarter finals. A few of its players were Australians, like the Laybutt brothers and the blonde bloke with long dreadlocks who played prop for Burleigh Bears.
WOW quarter finals ?

imagine how they will go with a fully pro team and 600 million

Who says I’m telling them to think like me. I am just stating a fact that there are three teams from SE QLD and that they have options that other areas don’t.

Also I’m sure that there are people who think like you (although I would probably bring up more than the one bloke in the daily rag) There might be others who want to return to a seperate Brisbane RL comp for all I know. There might be others in SEQ who agree with me and don’t see the need for another side (just yet). Heck there might even be others who think that 3 is enough. Who knows?

Nevertheless, all I could say is if these people want another QLD side, they might want to show a bit more desperation .
Show more desperation?

I'm probably more passionate and vocal about Brisbane 3 than anyone else on here is about Perth and Christchurch.

Brisbane Tigers have made their case. They're not going to phone V'landys at 3am every night like the nutbag from Perth who sooks to the media about the NRL not being national. They're not parasites like the useless grubby PM from PNG who is demanding the Aussie tax payer fork out $600m over a decade to fund his dream. He's always demanding Australia bail him out when there are deadly riots in the villages. If the PNG PM wants a team he can start by cracking down on the deadly riots that have plagued his country for 50 years. No one will want to live in a country where people turn feral and kill one another over $20 not being put in their bank account.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Brisbane 3 risks stepping on the toes of the Broncos, Titans & Dolphins - and maybe some Cowboys fans that live in SE Qld, whereas NZ 2 (especially if it's Christchurch) largely just risks cannibalizing Warriors fans - and very few of those in Christchurch would be what you'd class as "active fans" (buying merch, attending games, having Warriors memberships etc)
I'd have NZ 2 before SEQ 3, but it's pretty clear that the additional QLD teams have been really good for each other's attendances and an Ipswich side would add to that.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Ah ok, I didn't know that, thanks. If that's the case, makes me wonder why it took us so long to get age grade teams going again after NYC ended. Covid stuffed things for a while obviously but there was a couple years beforehand where I dont think we had anything
NZ funding only started last year I believe which is why the pathways have only been put in place now

I'd have NZ 2 before SEQ 3, but it's pretty clear that the additional QLD teams have been really good for each other's attendances and an Ipswich side would add to that.
I'm all for Christchurch as the 18th team provided it has a sound business model.

My confidence in NZ2 nosedived when it was reported the Warriors made just $11.6m from football operations last year. That was a great year for the Warriors. I'd hate to see what they make when public interest is low. I'm hoping my paranoia is just in my head and not indicative of Christchurch's earning potential.

Well that’s the precedent

so unless you want the sport you claim to follow to miss out on govt money when it’s being handed out what’s the fuss if we get some too
The fuss is adding a team from PNG to the NRL will set our game up for all sorts of financial problems. It's incredibly short-sighted to say we should take the money just because rugby union is getting something.

Fijian Drua is not getting $600m, FWIW. It's $52m over four or five years.

Can you honestly say that Super Rugby Pacific has benefited from adding the Fijian Drua and Moana Pasifika?

Before this Pasifka/PNG abomination got media coverage there was widespread laughter on these boards about Fijian Drua and Moana Pasifika.

If we add a team from Port Moresby then we're devaluing the 9th game to the point it won't be worth much at all. No one will want to tune in to see a PNG team full of second rate locals get annihilated every week. It'll be confined to 3pm every Saturday or 6pm Friday because no one will want to watch it.

Does PNG have 4K cameras to broadcast a game in ultra high definition?

Will Foxtel want to send its 4k cameras to Port Moresby?

The whole reason for expanding to 20 teams is because V'landys handed the broadcast rights to Ch9 and Foxtel for a bargain. It drew anger from the clubs. V'landys' solution is to bring in a team that will be worth peanuts to the broadcasters, then hope they pay overs for it in 2028. It's a f**ken dumb strategy and shows he hasn't learnt from his mistake at the last round of negations.

final say

Juniors
The fuss is adding a team from PNG to the NRL will set our game up for all sorts of financial problems. It's incredibly short-sighted to say we should take the money just because rugby union is getting something.

Can you honestly say that Super Rugby Pacific has benefited from adding the Fijian Drua and Moana Pasifika?

Before this Pasifka/PNG abomination got media coverage there was widespread laughter on these boards about Fijian Drua and Moana Pasifika.

If we add a team from Port Moresby then we're devaluing the 9th game to the point it won't be worth much at all. No one will want to tune in to see a PNG team full of second rate locals get annihilated every week. It'll be confined to 3pm every Saturday or 6pm Friday because no one will want to watch it.

The whole reason for expanding to 20 teams is because V'landys handed the broadcast rights to Ch9 and Foxtel for a bargain. It drew anger from the clubs. V'landys' solution is to bring in a team that will be worth peanuts to the broadcasters, then hope they pay overs for it in 2028. It's a f**ken dumb strategy and shows he hasn't learnt from his mistake at the last round of negations.
Mate, you need to calm down.
As a Queenslander myself, I don't want another team in SEQ for 20 years. Why? It's simply really, I want to ensure the strength and stability of our current teams! I want the Dolphins and Titans to have their fair market share first, to grow into powerful clubs .A new team will only pull support from the teams we have.
And once that has happened, a team in the Ipswich corridor would be ideal.

I seriously don't understand how you can be so angry and outspoken given the last 2 franchises have been SEQ.

NZ has been contributing millions to the game through broadcasting rights, currently 30 million a year and supplied talent to the NRL in the hundreds if not thousands. They've shown their willingness to get behind our great game selling out stadiums in what will be a historic achievement selling out every home games ( which includes Christchurch).
NZ has delivered and it's about time we take notice how significant they are to the NRL! The NRL would be absolutely crazy and rude actually not to award the next licence to NZ.

Wb1234

Referee

Perh are coming in after them and worth the same for tv

Mate, you need to calm down.
As a Queenslander myself, I don't want another team in SEQ for 20 years. Why? It's simply really, I want to ensure the strength and stability of our current teams! I want the Dolphins and Titans to have their fair market share first, to grow into powerful clubs .A new team will only pull support from the teams we have.
And once that has happened, a team in the Ipswich corridor would be ideal.

I seriously don't understand how you can be so angry and outspoken given the last 2 franchises have been SEQ.

NZ has been contributing millions to the game through broadcasting rights, currently 30 million a year and supplied talent to the NRL in the hundreds if not thousands. They've shown their willingness to get behind our great game selling out stadiums in what will be a historic achievement selling out every home games ( which includes Christchurch).
NZ has delivered and it's about time we take notice how significant they are to the NRL! The NRL would be absolutely crazy and rude actually not to award the next licence to NZ.
I'm not convinced there is a location outside of Brisbane that can support the 18th team without assistance from the ARLC.

Phil Gould also believes Brisbane is the only location in Australia that can support an 18th team. He's been very successful in rugby league and knows the landscape better than anyone.

Titans have been around for 17 years and are in a separate market. Their main competitor is the Suns.

Dolphins are a Moreton Bay team. They'll never have much support in Ipswich and Logan. They're also the second richest club in the world with the second largest fanbase.

New Zealand supplies players because Polynesians have the perfect somatotype for rugby league. The immigration laws make it easy for New Zealand citizens to emigrate to Australia.

In an ideal world we would go NZ2, Brisbane 3 and NZ3 in that order. However, people from New Zealand have cast doubt on the viability of NZ2. I'm listening to them because they know more about the situation over there than I ever will.

Perh are coming in after them and worth the same for tv
You don't know that and are basing your opinion on the latest news headline. A couple of years ago the headlines were talking about Pasifika/South Pacific Cyclones as the 18th team. The Pasifika/Cyclones idea fizzled out.

Then we were told by the media that the North Sydney Bears were coming back. People on here believed it.

Then we were told the Newtown Jets were joining the Bears in a 20 team competition.

At one stage we were told Melbourne was getting another team.

See the pattern?

Media puts forward bullshit clickbait articles because they know people will read them and discuss it on social media. V'landys fuels the bullshit with comments that don't confirm anything to keep the media happy.

The PNG proposal is starting to lose momentum. The logistical problems it will encounter are going to be its downfall. No one will want to play for it. The clubs won't accept it getting $600m above what they'll be getting over a decade. The demands from the 17 clubs are so outrageous it's damn near impossible for them to be met.

Do you think Albo and the rest of Labor are stupid enough to provide $170m to 17 cashed up NRL clubs over a decade while Australians are struggling to put food on the table?

If he does then it will cost Labor crucial votes in swing seats and kick up a huge stink with AwFuL.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Courier Mail Sport
North Sydney Bears set to be the big winners from rugby league’s most ambitious expansion drive since the Super League war.

But it's bad news for Brisbane's NRL expansion hopefuls: bit.ly/3yTjL6CIMG_4533.jpeg

Last edited: