What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Where's Easts Tigers at in all this expansion chatter? Have they given up or quietly putting a bid in to be team 20 in 2030?
Strange we haven't heard anything from them about their plans since they suggested they could partner with PNG in Oct last year. Has Richardson's departure signaled the end of their NRL ambitions?
NRL have most likely indicated SEQ will be revisited from team 20 onwards to give the Dolphins some space

Pippen94

First Grade
WA govt is paying in areas that it has a remit to. Sports infrastructure and jnr sport. They've clearly said all along they are not in the business of funding professional sports teams. And quite rightly so.
Aus govt using tax payer money to directly keep a professional sports club afloat is appalling really. And if it wasnt a RL club we were talking about you would agree no doubt.

This guy was going on about the WA government funding Perth bid. PNG then got $600 from feds & now he's trying to take high ground.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL have most likely indicated SEQ will be revisited from team 20 onwards to give the Dolphins some space
I wonder what the point of having an open bid process is if they have already decided on which two cities are going to get it (with only one bid coming from each of those cities) and that club 20 will be parked till later? Team 20 wont be coming in until sometime 2030-2032. Thats 7-10 years after Dolphins. Do they need longer than that?

Wb1234

Referee
I look forward to quoting you on this when the state government announces funding a new CoE in the coming months.
Quote me when the wa govt pay the 30 million license fee the bears have to cover bc Perth are broke lol

Every man and his dog in the nrl has a coe big deal

can’t even get a decent ground built for the team either

Wb1234

Referee
This guy was going on about the WA government funding Perth bid. PNG then got $600 from feds & now he's trying to take high ground.
I remember when he questioned for a year how much the Australian government would support png and always said the 600 million figure was just made up by journalists

it would be really funny if someone went back and found those quotes and reposted them

now that it’s a reality he is complaining saying it’s too generous lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Quote me when the wa govt pay the 30 million license fee the bears have to cover bc Perth are broke lol

Every man and his dog in the nrl has a coe big deal

can’t even get a decent ground built for the team either
there is no license fee gonk

Wb1234

Referee

Wb1234

Referee

Perth Red

Post Whore

Estimates suggest it will cost around $30 million to establish a WA team, covering licence fees, players, coaching, and support staff

@Perth Red LOL!
its a start up cost, the number itself originally came from an interview with Cumins 3 years ago when he talked about what was needed to get a club up and running (it was actually $27million), then the Dolphins were asked to put up a bank surety of $30mill ($5mill over 6 years). The media then as usual has put two and two together and come up with Wb.
There has been NO, ZERO, NILCH, NARDA comment from anyone within the NRL about a license fee.

as for PNG, that wasnt a license fee it was a cash grab, allegedly, from clubs for some of the govt money. In reality it probably wasnt even that. it was probably them asking for a grant increase if the NRl was saying expansion would generate more revenue.

You really should be less naive when you read the media.

Wb1234

Referee
its a start up cost, the number itself originally came from an interview with Cumins 3 years ago when he talked about what was needed to get a club up and running (it was actually $27million), then the Dolphins were asked to put up a bank surety of $30mill ($5mill over 6 years). The media then as usual has put two and two together and come up with Wb.
There has been NO, ZERO, NILCH, NARDA comment from anyone within the NRL about a license fee.

as for PNG, that wasnt a license fee it was a cash grab, allegedly, from clubs for some of the govt money. In reality it probably wasnt even that. it was probably them asking for a grant increase if the NRl was saying expansion would generate more revenue.

You really should be less naive when you read the media.
“Estimates suggest it will cost around $30 million to establish a WA team, covering licence fees, players, coaching, and support staff”

Perth Red

Post Whore
“Estimates suggest it will cost around $30 million to establish a WA team, covering licence fees, players, coaching, and support staff”
show me one mention of a license fee thats come from the NRL.
Dolphins didnt pay one, perth wont either.

licence fees . That could be also sorts of licenses required to run a prof sports club. ots start up costs. Cumins has been talkign about them since 2020.

Ive given up believing anything in the media and will wait till we hear from official sources before I will take it as gospel. PNG where locked in as club 18 out of Cairns, then they werent, then they were, they are all just making stories up to fill column inches.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
it is very much 2 ownership entities. The WA consortium and the NSFC. Both will presumably sit on the board and no doubt there will be points of conflict . For example say in a couple of years the club wants to move the nsw cup team to be based in perth because it wants more emphasis on WA jnr pathways, but that is seriously detrimental to the NSFC. I can think of a myriad possible points of conflict re brand and pathways where the two ownership groups could be at loggerheads.
Norths have talked about relocating too, so that will be something that is nutted out before the deal is sealed

Wb1234

Referee
show me one mention of a license fee thats come from the NRL.
Dolphins didnt pay one, perth wont either.

licence fees . That could be also sorts of licenses required to run a prof sports club. ots start up costs. Cumins has been talkign about them since 2020.

Ive given up believing anything in the media and will wait till we hear from official sources before I will take it as gospel. PNG where locked in as club 18 out of Cairns, then they werent, then they were, they are all just making stories up to fill column inches.
Ostrich

Wb1234

Referee
you believe what you want to. it makes no difference either way. It looks like Perth then PNG will be the next two clubs. Thats all thats really relevant
I read what articles say

you just make stuff up lol

That 60 million sweetener from the png team is going to be happily accepted by nrl clubs that’s for sure