What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Vee

First Grade
Very short on detail. From 2018, pre-dates The Dolphins inclusion, nothing since. Manning is pro-RL but he's got other problems with the CCC (Qld ICAC) investigation into an interest-free, non-repayable loan he got from a local lawyer that represents developers up here.

MugaB

Coach
Very short on detail. From 2018, pre-dates The Dolphins inclusion, nothing since. Manning is pro-RL but he's got other problems with the CCC (Qld ICAC) investigation into an interest-free, non-repayable loan he got from a local lawyer that represents developers up here.
They started talks back then, not sure when this actual article was posted, there are more recent articles but most of them are behind paywall

Last edited:

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Am more confident Perth will be 18th. NRL already have NZ 1, no need as such to have NZ 2 yet. Better off having Perth 1 than NZ 2 from a business sense. And wont be QLD 5 as it needs time to settle having just added QLD 4

MugaB

Coach
Am more confident Perth will be 18th. NRL already have NZ 1, no need as such to have NZ 2 yet. Better off having Perth 1 than NZ 2 from a business sense. And wont be QLD 5 as it needs time to settle having just added QLD 4
Dont confuse SEQ3 with QLD4, we talk about population sizes all the time, but forget it only is nessesary to get 1-2% of that population involved into participation and playing in the region
QCup is one of the best lower tier rl comps in the world, I'd put it in front of the English SL, one of the reasons its good is that it doesn't have too many NRL teams picking the eyes out of it, like the NSWcup does, and the regions/clubs are well spaced out, there's a lot of talent untapped/ignored more NRL sides in QLD could boost the NRLs competition, but we can't be overdoing plonking too many teams in brisbane, QLD5 is worthy of a spot whether its CQ or FNQ

Last edited:

RedVee

First Grade
Should be Perth for mine. Reds were hard done by to be excluded with the Mariners in order to create a strong Melbourne Storm

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dont confuse SEQ3 with QLD4, we talk about population sizes all the time, but forget it only is nessesary to get 1-2% of that population involved into filling a crowd,
QCup is one of the best lower tier rl comps in the world, I'd put it in front of the English SL, one of the reasons its good is that it doesn't have too many NRL teams picking the eyes out of it, like the NSWcup does, and the regions/clubs are well spaced out, there's a lot of talent untapped/ignored more NRL sides in QLD could boost the NRLs competition, but we can't be overdoing plonking too many teams in brisbane, QLD5 is worthy of a spot whether its CQ or FNQ
Well if you’re looking to places with a population of 280k (fnq) and 230k (cq) then. 1-2% of population is going to be pretty small crowds!

90% of tv advertising is spent in metro regions, we need to be looking to capital cities not small regional ones!

MugaB

Coach
Well if you’re looking to places with a population of 280k (fnq) and 230k (cq) then. 1-2% of population is going to be pretty small crowds!

90% of tv advertising is spent in metro regions, we need to be looking to capital cities not small regional ones!
Sorry a actually meant 1-2% playing/engaged, not crowds, after rereading that, im not sure why i wrote crowds,..yeah the math on that is terrible

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can't see Rockhampton or Cairns ever getting a team.
nor should they outside the second tier. Big cities is where the money is. Regions should get regular nrl games though where suitable venues exist (min 15-20k capacities) and second tier teams linked to nrl clubs. The second tier needs better marketing and hype so it’s not just seen as amateur or reserve grade. 5k crowds should be possible at second tier comp games to appease the rl appetite of locals.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Revealing the identity of 18th license, who could it be?...i guess just trying to do a process of elimination and deductive reasoning.

The NRL already have a NZ team, have just expanded SEQ, so where would 18th make most sense? If i were a betting man, feel convinced itd be Perth.

Could be NZ2 but theres no "need" to, keep on building that, one day sure, and SEQ needs to settle down, existing teams and new teams allowed to prosper, remember Titans still fairly young......but if you are seeking a foothold into somewhere, untapped market, grow a RL future junior development, ruffle some Rugby and AFL feathers along the way, and somewhere that has money behind it, has to be Perth

Or am i wrong?

Colk

First Grade
It’ll probably be the Bears. It would please the Broncos and a few other big clubs that way, as a third Brisbane or Perth side would challenge them on a corporate basis.

Nevertheless, after seeing all the going ons today, you really need to reform the player market before an 18th team comes in otherwise it will end up like European soccer system where only a couple of clubs can only ever win

Perth Red

Post Whore
A
Revealing the identity of 18th license, who could it be?...i guess just trying to do a process of elimination and deductive reasoning.

The NRL already have a NZ team, have just expanded SEQ, so where would 18th make most sense? If i were a betting man, feel convinced itd be Perth.

Could be NZ2 but theres no "need" to, keep on building that, one day sure, and SEQ needs to settle down, existing teams and new teams allowed to prosper, remember Titans still fairly young......but if you are seeking a foothold into somewhere, untapped market, grow a RL future junior development, ruffle some Rugby and AFL feathers along the way, and somewhere that has money behind it, has to be Perth

Or am i wrong?
lot will depend on if they feel they can leverage a decent revenue rise for the 2028- next contract. If that’s is their goal they will need to be planning for it around 2025 given the next deal is likely to be negotiated 2026/7. If that’s the case then brisbane3 is too soon so in reality it comes down to perth, nz2 or, god forbid, THE Bears.

if the byes are working and they arent aiming for revenue growth from ninth game content then it could be ten years until they look at expansion again and who knows what the landscape will look like by then.

Ideally the nrl would be looking to perth now and working with the backers and govt now building the infrastructure and progression through a nsw cup team, centre of excellence, hbf upgrade etc. but that would take a long term strategy for the game and some investment and we know how good our games leadership is with that!

nor should they outside the second tier. Big cities is where the money is. Regions should get regular nrl games though where suitable venues exist (min 15-20k capacities) and second tier teams linked to nrl clubs. The second tier needs better marketing and hype so it’s not just seen as amateur or reserve grade. 5k crowds should be possible at second tier comp games to appease the rl appetite of locals.
PVL should be working with Ch9 to get 3 Queensland Cup games broadcast into Queensland on Saturday. It can be broadcast on 9GEM. It will provide Ch9 with a "Super Saturday" of their own and give RL fans who don't have Foxtel/Kayo their RL fix so they don't have to watch the fumbleball or onionball.

It will also get the regional affiliate networks interested as they will have content that appeals directly to their viewers and an incentive to throw in a bit of money to screen it. I think this is the best way of elevating the profile of the Queensland Cup so it can generate more money that can be paid to the players, bridging the gap between the NRL and second-tier so that there's more talent available at any given time.

The NSW Cup can move away from being a Sydney-centric competition to one that has teams from all over the state. Broadcast 3 games into NSW on 9GEM.

Or am i wrong?

It's a tough question to answer as there are so many factors that will influence the decision. Perth should get it as they don't have a team and our game is suffering by being confined to the eastern seaboard. But what's best for RL and Perth isn't necessary in line with the interests of Ch9 and Foxtel, who are the parties that fund the competition. Our broadcasters will have a say on the matter and will want the team that will generate the highest ratings nationally.

News Ltd and Ch9 will view Bris 3 as the highest rating option of the locations as RL doesn't draw big ratings in NZ and Perth and Brisbane needs more content. I'm not sure that two Brisbane teams provides Ch9 with enough local content to draw maximum ratings from SEQ over the 3 games they broadcast each round, with 4 on offer at thr end of the season.

NZ2 offers nothing to Ch9 and it won't be a ratings winner for Sky Sports, as Warriors games don't rate that well on NZ TV, according to Colin Smith.

A Perth team doesn't offer much to Ch9 and it won't improve Foxtel subscriptions in Perth, as RL fans there already have it.

It’ll probably be the Bears. It would please the Broncos and a few other big clubs that way, as a third Brisbane or Perth side would challenge them on a corporate basis.

Nevertheless, after seeing all the going ons today, you really need to reform the player market before an 18th team comes in otherwise it will end up like European soccer system where only a couple of clubs can only ever win
No team from Sydney will want the Bears back.

MugaB

Coach
It's a tough question to answer as there are so many factors that will influence the decision. Perth should get it as they don't have a team and our game is suffering by being confined to the eastern seaboard. But what's best for RL and Perth isn't necessary in line with the interests of Ch9 and Foxtel, who are the parties that fund the competition. Our broadcasters will have a say on the matter and will want the team that will generate the highest ratings nationally.

News Ltd and Ch9 will view Bris 3 as the highest rating option of the locations as RL doesn't draw big ratings in NZ and Perth and Brisbane needs more content. I'm not sure that two Brisbane teams provides Ch9 with enough local content to draw maximum ratings from SEQ over the 3 games they broadcast each round, with 4 on offer at thr end of the season.

NZ2 offers nothing to Ch9 and it won't be a ratings winner for Sky Sports, as Warriors games don't rate that well on NZ TV, according to Colin Smith.

A Perth team doesn't offer much to Ch9 and it won't improve Foxtel subscriptions in Perth, as RL fans there already have it.

No team from Sydney will want the Bears back.
Then where are we going and whats left?

Mmmmmmm

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Cairns, for a QLD5, is the only other expansion option. Set up a Nth Qld derby. Cairns 150k+ pop. same as Townsville, and far away enough to have its own team.

Colk

First Grade
HI GROTD no Sydney team should want it but Souths have already come out and supported it. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Roosters would supported it considering Politis comments previously about lost fans.

Hopefully the rest don’t support it

Perth Red

Post Whore
HI GROTD no Sydney team should want it but Souths have already come out and supported it. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Roosters would supported it considering Politis comments previously about lost fans.

Hopefully the rest don’t support it
A million $'s a year extra on the grant and clubs will accept anything! They might also prefer a struggling NSW club over the prospect of Perth becoming another major club like Melbourne. The game is run by short sighted fools, nothing surprises me anymore.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The only name the NRL have really mentioned in NZ2 so far, not really any other area and they've outlined their reasons for that. Their strategy is to fish where the fish are.

I honestly think Perth is the best option for #18 but the NRL are looking at the talent in NZ and the additional Sky TV money I guess. An unintended side effect will hopefully be a stronger Kiwis side too.