What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I have a question about Pasifika.

If you're playing for them do you have to have that heritage?

The NRL has always been good at promoting inclusiveness, if all of a sudden you bring in a team based on heritage you're actually going backwards.

And if you dont have to have a certain heritage to play for Pasifika, what's the point of having a Pasifika side in the competition?

Wb1234

Referee
I don’t think we should be having another team based in Sydney. That is pretty ridiculous. We should forget about the Bears really - if they can’t even consider letting go of playing some ‘home’ games in Sydney then they shouldn’t be considered. If they can arrange away games against other Sydney teams to be played at NSO that’s a different story but not home games.
Whoever gets the bears is going to be popular in Sydney (second to souths)

Perth are dopes for not getting them on board

you would get 10k season ticket holders from Sydney plus juniors and a leagues club.

bears return will be like south’s return

Wb1234

Referee
I have a question about Pasifika.

If you're playing for them do you have to have that heritage?

The NRL has always been good at promoting inclusiveness, if all of a sudden you bring in a team based on heritage you're actually going backwards.

And if you dont have to have a certain heritage to play for Pasifika, what's the point of having a Pasifika side in the competition?
No just home games in those places

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I actually bought the paper.

Here are the key points.

1. PNG are supposedly the favourites but they are not sure where they are going to base them as yet. Shane Richardson suggested that they should be based in Brisbane instead of Cairns. The other option is North Sydney with the Bears.

2. The clubs want guarantees associated with the next side including extra profits as well as veto powers to block it. The clubs licences are coming up for renewal and they are wishing to negotiate said veto power as part of licence renewal

3. 19th side is probably going to be second New Zealand side with 20th being either Perth or another Melbourne side (the latter being absolutely crazy imo)
I read the article this morning on NewsNow before it went behind a wall, but I`m sure I recall reading that the Gov`t. are offering or the NRL are demanding a 10 year Gov`t. funding guarantee, Either way that doesn`t strike me as particularly long.
Another thing I think I read in the same article (possibly elsewhere) that the NRL want League taught every school in the Pacific region. The tenor of the article suggesting that this is what Pacific Funding may entail, not necessarily 10x`s of millions of dollars for an NRL side.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I actually bought the paper.

Here are the key points.

1. PNG are supposedly the favourites but they are not sure where they are going to base them as yet. Shane Richardson suggested that they should be based in Brisbane instead of Cairns. The other option is North Sydney with the Bears.

2. The clubs want guarantees associated with the next side including extra profits as well as veto powers to block it. The clubs licences are coming up for renewal and they are wishing to negotiate said veto power as part of licence renewal

3. 19th side is probably going to be second New Zealand side with 20th being either Perth or another Melbourne side (the latter being absolutely crazy imo)

I live in Melbourne....second team I can't see happening, so Perth it is.

Wb1234

Referee
I read the article this morning on NewsNow before it went behind a wall, but I`m sure I recall reading that the Gov`t. are offering or the NRL are demanding a 10 year Gov`t. funding guarantee, Either way that doesn`t strike me as particularly long.
Another thing I think I read in the same article (possibly elsewhere) that the NRL want League taught every school in the Pacific region. The tenor of the article suggesting that this is what Pacific Funding may entail, not necessarily 10x`s of millions of dollars for an NRL side.
What’s to stop them playing league for China though ?

seriously ten years is probably a bit light and it has to go to the nrl side

minimum govt contribution has to be 150 million

if they link it with the bears then it can be financially sustainable

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I live in Melbourne....second team I can't see happening, so Perth it is.
Maybe not the worst, but very close to it.
It would be like the AFL basing a team in Newcastle.
There`s a time and place for second teams and we should learn from the mistakes of other codes.
However, let`s not leave it like Brisbane, where really it should have happened decades ago.

macca_saint

Juniors
I think there is a soccer ground being built in Traganina which is in the west. Good idea but cant see 2 teams in Victoria in my lifetime.
If the AFL can’t make it work in Western Sydney then the NRL are no chance for a second side in Melbourne. The Storm have excellent support but they’ve consistently been successful and have one of the ATG coaches. Very hard to replicate.

macca_saint

Juniors
There`s a time and place for second teams and we should learn from the mistakes of other codes.
However, let`s not leave it like Brisbane, where really it should have happened decades ago.
Brisbane was obvious from day dot that they needed more sides to meet demand. Melbourne has been a hard slog and we still aren’t even close to needing a second club down there.