What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
Interesting article. If it’s Pacific Islands, NZ 2 and Perth that’s ok. Not the best combination but it’s at least not picking another couple of Queensland sides.
Could you post the whole article I just had a paragraph

Colk

First Grade
Could you post the whole article I just had a paragraph

I actually bought the paper.

Here are the key points.

1. PNG are supposedly the favourites but they are not sure where they are going to base them as yet. Shane Richardson suggested that they should be based in Brisbane instead of Cairns. The other option is North Sydney with the Bears.

2. The clubs want guarantees associated with the next side including extra profits as well as veto powers to block it. The clubs licences are coming up for renewal and they are wishing to negotiate said veto power as part of licence renewal

3. 19th side is probably going to be second New Zealand side with 20th being either Perth or another Melbourne side (the latter being absolutely crazy imo)

Wb1234

Referee

Here are the key points.

1. PNG are supposedly the favourites but they are not sure where they are going to base them as yet. Shane Richardson suggested that they should be based in Brisbane instead of Cairns. The other option is North Sydney with the Bears.

2. The clubs want guarantees associated with the next side including extra profits as well as veto powers to block it. The clubs licences are coming up for renewal and they are wishing to negotiate said veto power as part of licence renewal

3. 19th side is probably going to be second New Zealand side with 20th being either Perth or another Melbourne side (the latter being absolutely crazy imo)
Wow that will be excellent

Thanks

that comp will rip afl a new one

still leaves room for Brisbane jets and Adelaide

sounds like it’s just png now so basing it in north Sydney could work then

Pneuma

First Grade

Here are the key points.

Melbourne 2 is ridiculous. Nothing else to add.

Colk

First Grade
Melbourne 2 is ridiculous. Nothing else to add.

I agree. The Storm chairman wasn’t happy with the suggestion and whilst there is evidently self interest in that point, the points he made against it are correct.

Maybe in 20 years when the population down there is something like 7 or 8 million then sure look at it then but right now it would be like GWS.

Pneuma

First Grade
I agree. The Storm chairman wasn’t happy with the suggestion and whilst there is evidently self interest in that point, the points he made against it are correct.

Maybe in 20 years when the population down there is something like 7 or 8 million then sure look at it then but right now it would be like GWS.
Exactly and it’s what the Swans said about gws and they were correct.

Wb1234

Referee

Clubs should have no veto power over expansion

if they don’t want to renew their licenses that’s perfectly fine the nrl has bidders lining up a mile long

Perth Red

Post Whore
Clubs should have no veto power over expansion

if they don’t want to renew their licenses that’s perfectly fine the nrl has bidders lining up a mile long
Clubs already have the right to veto (same in afl) they didn’t want 17th club, or said they didn’t even produced a report why, Vlandys had to bribe them with a $2mill a year grant increase to get them to agree.

Colk

First Grade
Wow that will be excellent

Thanks

that comp will rip afl a new one

still leaves room for Brisbane jets and Adelaide

sounds like it’s just png now so basing it in north Sydney could work then

Maybe. Shane Richardson said the Firehawks may look into it as well.

Colk

First Grade
Richo is a bit of a dope

he was handling the fire hawks bid

I think he is a good administrator. I would actually prefer if we have to do this PNG thing it being based in Brisbane rather than Cairns. You have the facilities and the infrastructure there and you could play extra games at Suncorp.

If you base them in Sydney (although we already have too many sides really) the advantage would be cutting down on travel I guess.

Wb1234

Referee
I think he is a good administrator. I would actually prefer if we have to do this PNG thing it being based in Brisbane rather than Cairns. You have the facilities and the infrastructure there and you could play extra games at Suncorp.

If you base them in Sydney (although we already have too many sides really) the advantage would be cutting down on travel I guess.
His platinum league was stupid

he was ok at south’s though

being based in Sydney is interesting with the bears link it works but no fiji Tonga or samoa

Colk

First Grade
His platinum league was stupid

he was ok at south’s though

being based in Sydney is interesting with the bears link it works but no fiji Tonga or samoa

I don’t think we should be having another team based in Sydney. That is pretty ridiculous. We should forget about the Bears really - if they can’t even consider letting go of playing some ‘home’ games in Sydney then they shouldn’t be considered. If they can arrange away games against other Sydney teams to be played at NSO that’s a different story but not home games.